1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More GC Stupidity!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 27, 2006.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have a sure-fired way to never be dissappointed with the service at GC again: Don't expect it. Don't expect your salesman to be knowledgeable (hey, he's probably a guitarist, anyway.) Don't expect them to give you a premium on your custom-made trade. Don't expect them to have a room full of high-end basses and amps in stock. Don't expect to find a salesman that can spend hours with you rattling obscure facts and figures about every high-end bass in existence. If you follow this advice, your GC experience will be much more pleasant.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Sounds like you weren't joking after all.

Yeah, it's me.
    :meh:

3. I went to a Guitar Center in South Bend, IN, and picked up a new MIM Fender Jazz for about $280 after tax. All it takes is some display of knowledge on your part for them to know that you know what you're talking about... then you can start talking real business with the salesman. I also got a brand new Ampeg BA-115 for $300 after tax. As long as they're still making some profit, they don't care. But then again, the guys at my place are incredibly laid back, it could be bad at other places.

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i was joking. maybe you just don't have the mindset of a 16 year old teenage boy on winter break.

5. Well my only GC experience was alright, and I came away with my Warwick Corvette for $750, which I think was pretty good. I went to the one in Hollywood because I was in LA for the day, and so I went through a few nice basses, including a Yamaha TRB 1005 and a couple of Fenders before I came across the Warwick. I had to do alot of haggling with the salesperson, and gave him some huge deal about customs and how I could only get $750 across the border, so then I got it down to that for th 'Wick, mint too, which was nice.

So needless to say, with my one experience there, it was pretty good all in all. At the same time the Canadian equivalent to GC, Long and McQuade, they can be just as bad as you guys are saying about some of the deals, so all in all it is a little good and a little bad I guess.

6. I once offered to sell an excellent condition Godin bass to Long & McQuade and they offered me about 1/3 of what I originally paid for it (I said no thanks), but it was still more than the $150 the previous poster was offered for his Larkin.

I've been to some American music stores but never a Guitar Center, I'll have to check one out sometime.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I found out (at GC tonight) tonight that the Boss GT-6B is the GT-8 for bass. That was interesting.

8. all i can say is I went to one chain guitar store to sell my stuff
    and they said "Cool but whats a David Eden??? Ill have to ask one of my bass guys but hes not here right now" then I went to another chain guitar store and they said "Holy @#!@ are you sure you want to sell this Eden??? Well what do YOU think is a good starting price??"
    same store different location
    dont let one experience turn you off in a sea of knuckleheads you will get a guy or two that takes his job seriously

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No "maybe" about that.

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    We don't have any Guitar Centers here in Canada. How many are there? It sounds as if they are the Wal-Mart of music stores (we do have those up here!).

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    According to their website, GC has 160 stores.

12. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I wouldn't really compare it to Walmart, but maybe another large chain retailer. Possibly Sears Roebuck, and Co.

13. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    I actually saw that bass the first day it came in. It looked pretty bad from the get go. I played on just because it was a peavey cirrus and you don't see that many in stores in the St. Louis area. When the store first got it, the action was nice and low and it actually didn't sound half bad. Thats when I noticed how F'd up the head stock tuners and the back of the bass were. It look like somebody let there kid use it of r teething or something.

I went back a few weeks later and some idiot had done a "set up" on it and raised the strings an inch off the fret board. Idiots. Idiots. Idiots. This bass MIGHT be worth the $500 that the original poster asked for it. Maybe.

All I can say to you guys is that if you're ever in the St. Louis area, go to the GC in Bridgeton. They have a MUCH more experienced sales staff and their used selection is usually incredible. Lots of highend and vintage stuff.

I got my 72 p bass from them for $500. Not bad at all.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    touche

15. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I worked at the GC here, and have frequented a number of them. GC is GC is GC.....some better, some worse, but no matter what, it is a corporate mindset and should be looked at as such. They want you to feel like they are doing for you when in fact they are doing for themselves. After 3 months of obvserving and working with both the employees I worked with, and the Corporate guys who are in and out of the stores constantly, I gained a greater appreciation of the mental midgets that work there. Every GC I have been to seems the same, one or two guys who have a clue(generally NOT managers) and a bunch of pet rocks.

Funniest quote from GC: "Dude, the B-52 is the exact same thing as a Triple Rectifier" Jason Farkas -Store Manager Kalamazoo Michigan GC LMAO

16. During my vacation in California last summer I stopped at a GC in LA (has all these hand prints and stuff on the pavement outside of the entrance) and had a pretty funny experience. I was with my girlfriend so her and I went to the bass department for a bit so I could try some of their stock. They had a ton of high-end Warwicks, a few MusicMan and a couple Flea basses so I was itching to try'em. An employee sees me take down the Warwick P-Nut signature and comes dashing into the room to make a sale with a cable in hand so I could try it. Funny thing was, there were no cables in the room. I put the bass back after trying it (it was not too pleasant) and picked up a Modulus. The employee starts raving about it again. I put it down. He starts to grow impatient so he says, "I'll be back to check on you in a minute." I walk out of the bass room for one second with my girlfriend and the employee sneaks back into the room and takes the cable! I walk back to try an Anniversary EBMM and suffice to say, they did not bring back a cable and avoided that corner of the store until I was gone.

Don't even get me started on their "vintage" room either.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I know that's supposed to be funny but I don't know what a B-52 or a Triple Rectifier are.

Somebody please 'splain it to me.

Thanks

Riis (backseat of the short yellow bus)

18. tigersuit

tigersuit

Dec 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The Hollywood GC is absolute garbage IMHO, at least when I went there a couple weeks ago. The Sam Ash across the street was MUCH better and more laid back, even during the holiday rush.

19. I didn't get to go :bawl:

20. That is one of the best I have heard.

B-52 & Mesa Triple Rectifiers are guitar amps (heads). B-52 is an entry/mid level brand, and the produce relatively inexpensive, yet decent gear. Their Triple Rectifier amp is $700. Mesa Boogie is pro-level gear, and their Triple Rectifier is quite expensive piece and truly top of the line. This amp will set you back over $1500. They are not even close to the same, in terms of sound, quality, reputation, reliability, etc.