Most complex bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElBajista, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    After reading through the threads all about different makes/models of basses, as well as the threads pertaining to the number of strings, I came up with an interesting idea: A thread dedicated to pictures and descriptions of obscure or modded basses with incredible amounts of onboard controls.

I'll start:

I recently found a modded Alembic on Ebay that was fitted with not only onboard EQ and switches for pickup/wiring options, but also someone managed to cram in the guts of an entire chorus pedal. I wish I had a picture, as this bass must have had literally 10-12 knobs and switches.

Speaking of mass-manufactured basses, I would say that a Bongo with HH/piezo pickups is somewhat complex, with the 7 or so knobs.

I'm sure that someone can top those.
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  3. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
  4. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
  5. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
  6. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    In the Grateful Dead movie(i think, not 100% sure its this one) phil lesh goes into some detail of what the bass can do. I think each string can be assigned to a different speaker. But i know it can do alot more than that. Heres a closer shot of the Guild Starfire off of alembics website
  7. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    in the gd movie it was a different bass, more like a series 1...
    still a ton of knobs, for quadrophonic control...
    interesting stuff!
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Doesn't Bootsy's Space Bass have five pickups?

That probably requires a fair number of knobs, right there . . .
  9. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    alembics, with their array of bright switches, eq's and different outputs.

didn't ken smith release a bass with a built in effect?
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've heard from a reliable source that the fourth knob down on the right controls a mighty zombie army, bathed in patchouli and encamped in VW busses around the country. Beware!
  11. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
  12. AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    I know! Scary stuff! :D :p

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Some of the Alembics blow my mind with all of the controls as do the modified guild starfire basses.

14. O_O and i have a hard time figuring out an ibanez RD500. thats way more knobs than i would ever possibly need

phil lesh is way too good at bass.
  15. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Who has the pic of the machinegun bass guitar?
  16. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    From the web site:

"The following is list of the Presentation Model's specifications:
    36' scale, 28 fret neck" :eek:

36 foot scale! It must have the most intense low B string ever! Better than a concert grand piano!!!
  17. Digging into memory, and into Phil's book (excellent, by the way), the description he gives in the GD movie is that with that array of knobs he can route each string individually, change where each string's signal goes, switch from quadrophonic to stereo to mono and back, and also use the onboard preamp which, from his description, is something very similar to an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. Come to think of it, its not the Guild Starfire that he's playing in the movie, its the Alembec Osage Orange bass pictured here: He had a really nice sound in that film, if he was a little soft for parts.
  18. 8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    How about Tom Petersons original Hamer 12 String Quad basses, Or the original Rich Bich Bass from B.C. Rich?