1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most essential bass(es) to own

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Paget, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    I remember hearing one time that the two most essential basses to own in terms of having the right sound and the right feel in one package are the Fender Precision Bass and Fender Jazz Bass. Is there truth to this? What would the forum recommend as THE "go-to" bass to own, across all makes and models?

2. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    I know this is a broad question- if it needs narrowing down, I also happen to be looking for a 5-string bass :)

3. Fenders are overhyped, you know.

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Jazz, Precision, Stingray.

I think anyone would be well covered with those three.

Bob

5. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    No collection of basses is complete without a Ric

6. This particular forum? Probably Fender/various high end jazz bass companies and EBMM. I personally recommend, for someone who wants a versatile 5 stringer, an EBMM Stingray 5 with whatever pickup combination you prefer. I myself would be totally satisfied with a single H version, but it eludes my collection for the time being.

7. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    I did not own a RIc but I agree:cool:

8. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    If you are in a cover band, a studio bass player or just someone you hired for backing a solo artist etc ... yeah you need a jazz, a precision, a stingray, a fretless and a modern 5 ...

if you are in a original band or solo artist ... well you shouldn't ask that question

9. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    thumbsup.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've never owned (more than a week) a Fender, Stingray, Sadowsky, etc..

I've barely gotten by with my measly Warwicks, Spectors, Modulus', Wals, etc.. though. :( Been rough tho, gotta tell ya.

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    If you've got some money no collection is complete without a precision, jazz, stingray, rick 4001 or 4003, thunderbird, a good hollowbody (either a guild starfire or a gibson)... Add in a fretless and a boutique instrument (alembic which if I'm not mistaken are the people who started making over the top wood craftsmanship beauties) and you're set. Me I've got the collection covered... and I got a graphite necked bass too to round out the selection...

12. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    What's the most essential ratchet and socket set to own?

What's the most essential car or truck to own?

What's the most essential type of screwdriver to own?

Having a slotted and a Phillips won't do you much good if you need to remove a Torx screw from something.

13. +100000 ! .. and a solid five string i think.

14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Almost any good, articulate bass can work for most any genre or song. The conventional wisdom would argue that a Rob Allen Deep 5 (fretless piezo) is right for jazz, wrong for funk. But I think it works: http://nostatic.com/mp3/14aug10/getAJob.mp3

Presently I play in 4 different bands and I don't have a Fender in sight. Or a Ric. Or a Stingray. Slight caveat: I have a Lull PJ5 but that is a backup for when someone wants a "vintage" look on stage. And it still may be for sale...

These days I usually will bring a Rob Allen and a Roscoe to a gig. They are "essential" to the sound I'm trying to get to best support the bands I play with. The bass shouldn't define the player - it should be the other way around.

15. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Yup. The Sterling or Stingray 5 (preferably in a multi-pickup configuration) is going to be the best reasonably-priced, high quality 5er if you're looking for versatility. Or the Reflex or Big Al if you've got a little more money and like the unique look of either of those.

You can get much better 5ers, but you'll need a stack of benjamins (F Bass, Rosco, Sadowsky NYC, Lakland USA)... $3-5k. You can get a minty used 'Ray 5 HH or HS usually for around $1200 around here on the classifieds. There's a GORGEOUS black cherryburst SR5 HH listed right now, and for exactly that price (no, it's not mine!).

On edit: You'll have to search on "SR5HH" to find it though!

16. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    Pick the basses that you like.

I own 30 basses and none of them are even remotely Fender-like.

17. This is NOT a sarcastic statement - the most essential basses to own are the ones that speak to YOU. The ones that YOU feel sound the best, like playing the best, like looking at the most.

I spent about 7 years owning 1 bass and it was all I needed. It was MY essential bass. These days, I have 3.

but that is definitely a very subjective question.

18. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Whatever sounds good or works for you.

I know folks like to bash Fenders for, well.. Whatever.....

I don't think they are perfect or the best bass around.

That being said. I really like having a Fender Jazz and Precision. ( I play the Jazz more) We all like to kick the tires of convention from time to time but they work for me and I'm happy. :)

Whatever sounds good to you. Enjoy!

19. I know EXACTLY what you mean! The first part of this statement is exactly why I feel the way I do every time I pick up my Thumb NT 5 :bassist:

20. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    If I was looking for a new 5 string, Fender would not even be on my list.

That being said get whatever feels right for you.