1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moving to St. Louis

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by damonsmith, Mar 13, 2019.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I am moving to St. Louis by the end of May! my girlfriend got a three year fellowship at the St. Louis Art Museum to write a book about German Expressionism. I will miss playing music in New England - I don't think I had a single bad gig here, The musicians are so incredible! however, I did not fall in love with the place. I look forward to being closer to Texas and Chicago and having a better quality of daily life.

rknea, Seanto, tonequixote and 7 others like this.
  2. Damon, I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing you the very best as you make this move. I hope you have a great stay, and that you find a huge number of wonderful musical opportunities in St. Louis!!! New England's loss is St. Louis' gain!!!

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Congrats. I'm sure you'll be missed up there.

4. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    All I really know about St Louis is that Evangeline's Bistro has been really friendly to traveling acts. Would wager there are some excellent musicians in the area though. Congrats on a new turn to the path!

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I think it will be great, better food than New England for sure!!! The level of musicianship in the Boston area is so high, though. I will really miss that. I don't think I've had a bad gig, I am lucky to have had a situation that has allowed to be prepared for these shows! Proximity to NY has been great as well. I am not afraid of snow, so I've enjoyed the weather.

The day to day life can be a real drag - the roads and trains are not laid out well, anything even mildly interesting is an hour there and an hour back minimum - and too often it is just mildly interesting. Not a single bookstore I'd call great, a few good ones, same with record stores.
    The Boston museums are pretty backwards and have wack priorities (colonial furniture at the MFA, "virtue signifying" at the ICA), the colleges, Harvard, Brandies and Yale in particular have strong museums.
    The food can be good and even great but, it terrible and expensive often enough that taking chances is not advisable!

In the other places I lived, Oakland and Houston, I was able to be closer to the centers, it seems like I'll be able to do that in St. Louis, which will be nice. The art institutions also have far a more serious attitude about modern and contemporary art, so I will enjoy that.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Hope you’ll love St Louis. Yes, closer to Chicago and to Memphis. Probably a better Jazz scene in St Louis than in Memphis these days though. Good luck man!

damonsmith likes this.
  7. New England can be nice on some levels (I'm from MA), but I agree that many of the "interesting" things must be sought out. I find the typical MA mentality to be on the provincial side. Yeah I like chairs, but...

And damn yes food is expensive, especially in the GBA.

Agreed on the extremely high level of musicianship! Except for "scenes." But those are hacky all over. Also great shops and repair techs in NE, at least when I was living in Boston.

Good luck with the move! Enjoy the warmer weather and change of scenery.

8. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    You better get your ass up here and play with me and Jerry!

damonsmith likes this.
  9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I'll come get some bass lessons!

koricancowboy likes this.
  10. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It looks like I will have plenty of music to play. I am more interested in getting a good handle on the subtle differences between Tennessee, Kansas, Kentucky and Missouri BBQ.
    I doubt Lockhart, Texas can be unseated as the world BBQ Mecca, but, I will come with an open mind!

11. I always find good records (especially 45s) at In Your Ear when I'm in Boston, but perhaps our music tastes differ, I don't fancy it a place to find much in the avant-garde realm!

12. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    You'll dig it here. Lots of great blues, the jazz scene is damn good. Be patient and seek things out, the Loop is near the Museum, the West end is connected to Forest park. A couple of great record stores in Vintage Vinyl and the Record Space....loads of great food in the metro area. Instrument wise you have Killer Vintage, Fazio's, Acme, Mojo's, Music Go Round and the guitar centers.

13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Texas is the center of the BBQ universe in my books.

damonsmith and Lee Moses like this.
  14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    And Lockhart is the center of that. I had been many times, however a few weeks ago I arrived exactly at noon and it was on a whole other level.

charlie monroe likes this.
  15. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Every time I read this thread title I hear Fats Domino singing "moving to St Louis" to the tune of "walking to New Orleans"

16. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    You'll never be hurting for BBQ in the Lou, my waistline can attest for that

17. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    As one who moved to STL from KC, I must say that KC's barbecue is better and more available.
    I've heard it said that St. Louis is "the northernmost southern city and the westernmost eastern city." True, I think. I love it here but there are some things that drive me a little nuts. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it.

18. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I like it already - I think of Boston as the "worst great city" in the US!

19. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I thought the thread title was a jazz standard!