Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mp3 player showdown!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jul 10, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of getting a "Mothership" mp3 player for my birthday. It occured to me when I brought my CD collection on an airplane and it took me 10 minutes to get the binder back in.

I've obviously thought about getting an Ipod. There are 3 things that I'm iffy about.

1) Sound quality- I really don't want it to sound like it's stiff compressed mp3s.

2.) Battery Life-How long does the battery last? I read in other thread that depending on the way you charge it, it could be 2-3 years or 8-9 years.

3.) Itunes. I run linux. As whiney as it sounds, I wouldn't want to boot into windows just to load up the Ipod, but that can be pushed aside for function.

I don't want this to become "WTFOMGYOUSHUDTGETAIPODCUZITROX" or a "DONTGETIPODBECUZITSUXANDITSTOEXPENSIVE" thread. I'm open to pretty much all ideas, but I want function over form.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    WTFOMGYOUSHUDTGETAIPODCUZITROX!!1

One thing about Apple is that their stuff is designed very carefully, on the outside as well on the inside. If you are concerned about sound quality, the iPod Shuffle has had very good remarks about that.

Of course you want to replace the phones, the included phones aren't the best no matter which the player.

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    ipods have a battery life of eight hours, creative labs zens have 24, same sound quality, zen is cheaper, only problem is it's bigger, but meh, bassists are used to size!

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    For scrolling through thousands of songs quickly, the iPod has a very well thought out interface in the scroll/click wheel. Probably the best out there.

iTunes can kill Windows Media Player as soon as it incorporates video.

I use Creative Labs' app for my Muvo and even WMP beats it.

5. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    Well I'm going to vote iRiver, because I have one and I can't fault it.

Sound quality - amazing, iRivers are known for having exceptional sound quality. I also find the EQ on my H340 to be extremely good, although I'm sure my Etymotic ER-6s help somewhat.

Battery life - I keep it topped up but have never had it run out on me, I don't even thing the battery has gone below half full.

Itunes - With XP the H340 comes up as another hard drive, no need to encode anything (can play mp3, wav, ogg files), no software to install. I presume it would be the same with Linux.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I suggest an iPod. iTunes is an amazing program-- very easy to use. Also, they don't use MP3s. Most of my files are AAC.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    iPods play and encode MP3s also.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    1. The quality is great. You can choose which bitrate you want, but the higher bitrate takes up more space.

2. About 8 - 10 hours. When it dies, you can replace them.

3. I don't think it's Linux compatable.

Check out www.ipodlounge.com for more info.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    iPod is probably the safest to use in the car. dunno if that's a big concern, but the interface/design of the iPod is ridiculously easy to operate, which is a big plus when it comes to use in the car.

I have used a zen in the car, and while I could handle it, it wasn't nearly as fluid or 'safe'.

YMMV

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wish Apple would follow the Zen Micro lead and just start making the iPods with easily replaceable batteries. It seems so easy and so much better for the consumer than sending your iPod in and paying $99 to have it replaced with a refurbed model. It sounds more like something you'd do with a broken product than a run down battery. An easy replaceable battery would also allow you to take one along if you're traveling for a long time to swap it out if need be. When Zen first put the new micro (I think it's the Micro at least) out on the market they ran a promotion where it actually came with the second battery. Nice.

brad cook

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You don't have to send it to them. You can do it by yourself for like $30...

12. Already done.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Apple reduced the battery replacement cost to $59

14. back to the mp3 players...

Are there any that have 20 Gigs that will work under linux?

15. you could run Linux ON an iPod...

=)

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes but doesn't that involve something like prying open your iPod with a screwdriver or something? Doesn't sound like a process that's going to leave your iPod looking the same..unless they've changed the access method.

I realize that there are other options but there's no good reason to not make the battery easily accessible other than to assure yourselves more profits at the expense of the consumer.

brad cook

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well that's something I guess. See my above comments.

That's really my only beef with the iPod. Every player has it's weak point/s.

brad cook

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Get a Sadowsky.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This thread won't be complete until Lundquist weighs in with his opinion on which mp3 player is superior.

Waiting...

brad cook

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    He wouldn't be satsfied until they invent an MP3 player whose d/a converter is a full symphony orchestra.