1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Kingston Z 5 - This begins a journey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PraiseBassing, Jan 23, 2018.

1. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I recently had the opportunity to trade my Carvin PB5 for an MTD Kingston Z 5. Although the way we went about it was not the norm, my trade with @Basstards was a wonderful experience and has left us both satisfied.

F9A5A16F-2BFC-4FDF-B40F-63785978069E.

Love so much about the bass! The tone has such a clarity to it and is really great; however, what most others have said about these has come to be true for me too. The lows are really just not where they should be. Adding some low mids (250 hz) on my GK MB210 does add plenty of girth to the sound, but I’d rather have that girth before the amp.

For now, the plan is to install Delano SBC 5 Dual Coils wired in Parallel and pair it with a Bartolini HR-5.4AP/918. It will be a while until I can get around to that, but I’m quite anxious to make that move!

Until then, it’ll get plenty of love as is!

2. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Actually may go with a 5.2AP or the Custom 5.2APMT that's in the ZX. I just need to figure out if I can be had with the push position at 250 hz and pull at 800 for the mids, not the other way around. May go 4.7AP if it cannot.
    Still some searching to do.

It's planned like this at this time to compliment/contrast a Lakland 55-01 that will have Delano SBC 5 Dual Coils wired in Series running with a Glockenklang 3-band preamp.

I for sure want a pre with adjustable gain to even out the volume difference from the wiring so Nordstand is also a consideration, but I think the bart will be truer to the MTD tone and I like the Mid frequency points more with the barts.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    056FB17E-D9F2-45F0-8D4F-08A971BADACF. I have a Z5 with Nordstrand Big Splits and a Bart NTMB installed. Those mods improved the tone so much. I love this bass!

dralionux, SirMjac28 and Steve-Mo like this.
  4. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Beautiful bass! Great burl there! I bet that songs now!

Three band with push-pull mids?

I heard back from Dana B Goods, the custom bart from the ZX has the mids how I want them, pushed in is 250 and pulled out is 800. I’ll probably go that route since it checks all the boxes, but will try it out and may change the low mids to a higher frequency. We’ll see what it sounds like and if I need it at 250 or 500-550.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  5. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo

Oct 25, 2010
    Western NY
    It's times like these I really wish I did before and after recordings. You seem to have your course set, but hearing the change to Nordy Dual Coils and Audere Pro on my Z6 could be of use.

And a quick pic to keep the chain going (am adjusting neck relief hence the lack of cover).
    20180125_023416.

6. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Gorgeous Z!

I haven’t heard many sound samples where I loved the Dual-coils, so never really looked at them. I do love how aggressive they look tho!

I went back and forth in my mind and on paper for days between Audere, Nordstrand, and Bartolini for the preamp. I went away from the Audere strictly because of the lack of gain control. Since I want to use the SBC’s in both my basses, wired differently, I want to be able to bring the gain up on the Z5 up to match the increased volume that the 55-01 will have due to the series wiring of the pickups.

7. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I can probably add more context to give a more clear picture of what I have had go through my head already.

Initially I contacted Mr. Tobias through email and asked what his recommendation to get the truest MTD tone from the Kingston Z 5 was, he pointed to Dana B. Goods with the electronics set from the Kingston ZX series. I did a little reasearch and found that the Pickups are the P25CX-T(mtd) in the neck, P25CX-B(mtd) in the bridge, and the preamp is the HR-5.2APMT/918. Another option given is that if a "voice with more high mids and less treble" is preferred to use P25CBC-T/B, their P2 Classic Bass Dual Coils which are supposed to have "powerful lows and low-mids – bright treble." The third option is that "For a vintage, single coil voice," use the Singularity Series P25S-T/B, which is their P2 shape Single coils where "the asymmetric blade design yields powerful lows and low-mids along with bright treble."

Out of those three I was most interested in the CX series (MTD customs), and the Singularity series. However, I was very unsure about the CX's. There is a huge lack of audio samples and I have never played a bass with them, ZX or otherwise. I am not interested in the Singularity series because of the hum that comes with single coils, so they were out. The Dual coil P25CBC's were interesting, but since they are described as more high mids with less treble, that is not quite what I am looking for. Deep down I longed for the xxP25C from the Original Bass series, but I have chosen that the more mid focused sound is going to come from the Lakland with the Series wiring. Since Mr. Tobias recommended that CX series, I will stick with his line of thinking. I love the SBC's and think they will be able to be a pretty convincing replacement for the CX series. Although, the CX are wired in series from Bartolini, while I will wire the SBC in parallel. This is one variable I am still tossing around in my head before I commit to anything, and can have a huge impact on everything else.

Now, the 55-01 already has the Glockenklang 3-band preamp installed, and to be honest, I am very pleased with every aspect of it. How it boosts and cuts, the frequencies they use,and the fact that the pickups sound like they should with the preamp set flat. There is nothing telling me to replace it.

Since I really have no desire or reason to pull that preamp out and replace it, this has led me to the decision to wire the SBC in the 55-01 in Series. That will give me my reference point to use the gain control on the preamp I put in the Z5 to match the output of the 55-01. This is purely for amp gain reasons, but it is something I am looking for.

I have looked at the Audere preamps often. When I was thinking of adding Series/Single/Parallel switching Audere's form factor really played a role. There are problems I have with coil tapping though. The increased volume that series wiring has compared to the other two keeps me from commiting to this. I was going to use a 4PDT toggle switch and add resistors to an extra pole to reduce the volume for the series position. That is where Audere's size appealed to me. I just am not really motivated to do that now and since there is no gain control for the Audere I am having to look elsewhere. The Nordstrand preamps are very transparent and I'm sure either their shop or I could make the needed adjustments to change the the mid frequencies to where I am looking to have them, but the Bartolini ,made for MTD, already has them where I think I would like them. This will require less work, if there is anything that needs to be adjusted and I like that. Haha

So for now, I am looking at the Delano SBC 5 pickups matched with the Glockenklang 3-band in the 55-01 and the Bartolini in the Z5. There has been quite a bit of thought going on, probably too much really. I wasn't exaggerating when I said, "This begins a journey." Lol

RobertUI likes this.
  8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I had a Z5 judt like that. Great basses. At one time I had a Z5 and an Heir and a 55-01 and a 55-02. I kept the 55-01 and the Heir and sold the ither two but those Kingstins and Slylines are great basses. I have an Audere 4 band in my 55-01 with U
    .S. Barts and a Delano Sonar and Delano pups in the Heir.

9. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    All the Heir's I have seen are great looking basses!

I plan to get one more bass in the future. It will be a true custom from someone, don't know who yet. But I would not be surprised if it includes an Audere preamp in it.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Beautiful bass congrats and what do the lows sound like?

11. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    You know what, I'll have to get back to you on that. I just realized I have the EQ on my amp set to be cutting quite a bit at 250 hz and 1000 hz. The MB series from Gallien-Krueger has those two bands listed as +6dB/-10dB@250Hz and +6dB/-10dB@1KHz. So everything in the center is actually cutting there and really thinning out the sound. I may even have it set to be cutting even more. I'll have to check that out when I get home in a couple of hours.

I'll get some sound samples up within the next couple of weeks, both direct into a Midas M32R to USB and I'll mic an amp to give some comparison. This morning I can try to record into garageband from an iPad, through a Peavey Ampkit if I have it at the house.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That would be great l have always been curious about these basses but l would like to avoid replacing the electronics.

13. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    My Bart preamp has push-pull selectable mids and push-pull on the volume pot for active-passive operation.

14. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    No problem, I'll get to it as soon as I can!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  15. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Sounds like the 5.2AP. From what I am being told, the only difference between it and the 5.2APMT is that the standard one is 800 hz in the pushed in position and 250 hz in the pulled out position.

16. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Got a response from David at Audere yesterday. In a previous email, he had mentioned that parallel wiring is not that interesting of a configuration with their preamp. I may look more at using an Audere in whichever bass I have the pickup wired in series, but that would probably add $100-200 to the total price for these upgrades. I'm not sure if I can convince my wife it is needed tho... :/

17. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Don't have the Ampkit at home at the moment, so I'll have to get it back. I'll get to the recordings as soon as I can!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  18. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    No rush enjoy that beauty.

19. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I will, I need to trim my fingernails tho. Yesterday when I was playing I couldn’t judge the tone because of the finernail noise. That’s definitely note part of my tone. Ha

Steve-Mo and SirMjac28 like this.
  20. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's funny I had a similar experience I couldn't understand why my tone was so trebly then I noticed my nails were longer than usual it's amazing how little things like that can impact your playing.