1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Much pedals for home playing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by _sky_, Feb 10, 2015.

1. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    Hello!

I play bass but only at home. I´m interested in getting a preamp DI pedal and a Power supply but as said, I only play at home. I don´t do any recording or live playing. Having the pedal and power supply is it too much for my needs?

Anyway, can you guys recommend a good preamp DI pedal and power supply? For the moment I am interested in the MXR M-81 and the Diago Powerstation.

Regarding the Diago Powerstation, does it "kill" the hum (if available)?

By the way my current pedals are: EH Big Muff, Boss Limiter Enchancher, BP10 Compressor and Digitech Synth. My amp is a Markbass micromark.

Cheers!

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    If it's for home use I would suggest the new ampeg scr di though, as it's has headphone output and aux input. I believe the markbass does not have the headphone and aux connections.

This means you can jam along with songs and also play through headphone.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  3. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I had 19+ pedals on my board at home remember it's never too much:). I like the Sadowsky and the 3Leaf enabler also what are you using now to power your pedals? I always recommend the Gator G-Bus-8 they're small and have dedicated 18v outlets I used two for my board and they worked perfectly and trying to kill hum is like chasing a unicorn I spent a small fortune trying I ended up just getting the right sequence of pedals through trial and error I also got a tube buffer which helped.

jwr and gregmon79 like this.
  5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    So far, I use my effects _only_ at home ;-)
    I like to be able to play with some simple effects - e.g. chorus, reverb when I'm just exploring "ambient" stuff. This is playtime, for me.
    When I play out it's blues, R&B, and Motown - bass-flavored bass.
    If I showed up at a blues jam with a big pedalboard I'd probably just be shown the door...

As for you - what you put in front of the amp will depend a lot on what kind of sounds you want coming out.
    I'm pretty fond of the DarkGlass B7K and VMTD, but the Aguilar ToneHammer and some of the SansAmp products get a lot of love too. What are your goals ? What sound are you trying to achieve ?

6. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    Actually only playing at home is the ideal situation of most pedal effects, that is the only place you are going to be able to experiment at will. And experiment at will you should, eventually you are going to want to record the stuff though.

7. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    Batteries...lol. I´m going to make a pedalboard and that´s why I´m looking for a good powersupplier.
    Indeed I think we are all looking the the ultimate hum-killer.

I´ve checked the Aguilar and SansAmp but i would like to seek less expensive options. But if in the end I have to go with one of those...i will.
    Honestly I don´t know what kind of sound I want to achive (personally i like the Red Hot and primus sound) but I would like to have the possibility to find that sound that will amaze me. No signatures tones attached.

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Do you plan to come out of the closet/room so to speak eventually?? ANd what is your budget?? Your budget could dictate a lot here.

Its hard to go wrong with SansAmp by Tech21 products. The Bass Driver and VTDI are all great starters for anyone and they are top of the line IMO. If you want a little higher priced stuff, check out Darkglass. They build pedals that are second to none IMO. THere are so many DI's in preamps nowadays. Its almost become commonplace in most cases. Some have different features like headphone amps and AUX outs. Just depends on how much you wanna spend.

As far as power supplies, Joyo makes some pretty decent stuff for the amount of pedals you have. I would also check out the Caline Power Supply 5
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390878385330?lpid=82&chn=ps

Not the best but not the worst either IMO. I used one for over a year without fault. It may get some noise the higher the pedal count and it doesnt love digital pedals. But in your case, it should be more than fine. It also has a 12 and 18v out. Plus its only $50 shipped roughly. Pretty blue lights too hehe.

9. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

I have the Joyo JP1 power unit, has 8 x 9V 100mA and 2 x 18V, cost $69 AU

I have 4 MXR pedals,they are great quality. i don't have that one though. If you don't need to record or play live, you don't need a DI.
    Do you need a pre amp then? The Sansamp ones are great, you don't HAVE to use the DI part of it.I'm sure that MXR one is great too, I love their stuff.

Driven Crane likes this.
  10. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    Plan to come out of the closet/room so to speak eventually? Didn´t understand that.
    I don´t need a DI but I´ve read great reviews regarding the MXR M-81 but I will look for the SansAmp . Bottom line, the preamp pedal is going to be the one that i will never sell so propably I will have to get a good one.

I have come across with a great deal regarding a Carl Martin Power Supply but that JOYO sounds interesting. Thanks for the sugestion!

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    A preamp/DI is I think more useful or necessary for live playing, though if it has a headphone jack it could be a good thing so you can play without annoying people around you. If you have a small amp maybe it already has a headphone out though, or if you have a small mixer that could also be used for your monitoring needs. I tend to play more with outright effects at home; delay, phaser, filter, that kind of thing, since I use that more sparingly live.

12. I think Gregmon meant "are you planning to eventually play with other people either in a live situation or a recording scenario?"
    You currently don't need a DI, but if you plan to play with others live or record yourself, a DI is a consideration.

If you've got a possible deal on the Carl Martin, jump on it if it meets your needs.

I'll suggest you make a list of your current pedals and future purchases (if known), what their power requirements are both in volts and milliamps drawn. This will help you determine how best to power everything, what type of cables you'll need etc. For example, a partial list of mine as follows:

RADIAL
    PZ-Pre 15vDC 400mA, center pole positive

DIAMOND 2.1 plug
    Vibrato 18v (24v max) 65mA (80mA according to the manual) CENTRE POS
    Bass Comp 18v (24v max) 18mA Centre POS

DR SCIENTIST
    The Elements 9vdc 50mA (as well as 12vdc 18vdc) regulated

13. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    Greg I dont know about the USA, but getting "out of the closet" its no good word combo in many countries, you can get hurt here in my country. ( cultural issues)

I play just at home, i have a line 6 ux1, great amps and effects emulations, a lot of Fun.

The sansamp stuff its great
    Check the zoom b3 and the ms60b
    The darkglass. B7k

14. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    What does your country have against closets?

wintremute and Fat Steve like this.
  15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Internet confusion strikes again. I don't think Greg meant anything bad from it. And if in your country @vlsndgrdn they have issues with people coming out of closets (of any sort) you have a more serious problem than we can deal with here.

On the OP -

I can't believe no one picked up on it, but if you are currently running your pedals on batteries and expect a power supply to reduce hum, you will be very disappointed. Batteries are easily the most isolated, quietest sort of power. No power supply in the world will reduce your hum more than batteries. If you want for ease and so you don't have to unplug everything, etc, then great. But it will not reduce your hum. I would bet you have a power issue at home that is causing a ground loop. Does the hum get quieter when you touch the strings?

On DIs - forgive me but why would you need a DI if you don't play out or have any plans to. You run to an amp as you have stated. So do you also want to run to a PA? Do you have a PA? Of you want the preamp for dirt, get a dirt pedal. Why pay for something you don't need?

I would get a delay and a EQD Afterneath

16. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The Joyo shares grounds so it is not isolated. Far from what the OP needs as he is trying to reduce and not increase hum.

17. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    I know greg doesnt have any bad intentions guys.

The "out de of closet" expression in a sentence its used to say you are gay in many countries. A lot of people have issues or can react in bad manners.

Its a cultural missunderstanding, that can create an international crisis.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  18. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    Actually I understod it as not replying in the thread but your interpretation is correct. Here in Portugal, coming out of the closet is assuming to everyone you are gay.

For the moment I have a BIg Muff, a Compressor, a Limiter Enhancer and a Synth Wah (digitech) pedal. All the pedals I have and I´m looking are 9vDC so the Carl Martin power supply suits it well.

I want to have at least an octaver and a preamp. Even though I don´t have use for the DI, who knows if tomorrow I will need it?

19. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

oops, i was actually just backing up someone else who suggested it. I have no hum so didn't need isolated,and I run 8 pedals off it just fine.

20. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

I hear good things about the Zoom B3. It sounds like a good fit for your application.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021