Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multi-effects v seperate stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tenbellies, Dec 17, 2003.

1. tenbellies

tenbellies

Dec 17, 2003
    Hello!
    I know as a guitar player that seperate stomp boxes are better than an electronic multi-fx, but is that the same with bass? If not what is the best lower proce multi-fx?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, the best overdrive (for example) pedal out there will generally be better than the best overdrive available on a multi fx unit.

I'm not sure what you mean by lower price, but I'll assume you mean $150 and under.

To my ears, the Digitech Bp-8 was the best multi fx out there for bass. It's discontinued, but they come up regularly on ebay. It has a tube preamp section in it, so you get some nice warmth in the sound.

Other good units in this price range:
    Zoom BFX 708 II - $150 new
    Digitech BP200 - $130ish new I think

The Zoom has better effects IMO, but the Digitech is a more solidly constructed unit - it's metal vs the Zoom's plastic.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I definately have to stick up for individual pedals here, becase we all know analog sounds better than digital effects, and well, multi-effects are digital. For instance, the best overdrives have maybe a dozen electronic components while the digitally created overdrives in multi-effects are run by little chips composed of a few dozen little parts and a few more outside. Now if I could only find those diagrams which show why analog is better...basically proving how digital effects clip the sound.

4. The only thing that justifies multi-effects is in a band situation where you have all these songs that need a particular set of effects and they're always the same. In one band I was in, I had this looping flanged delayed bass line, and in the next I had a slap-back delay. I went with a multi-fx pedal so I wouldn't have to stoop down and tweak the delay time on the stomp box or have to do the tap-dance at every show. Plus, you can program multi-fx so that it NEVER changes and it sounds like the cd.

Sometimes you sacrifice sound quality for convenience, but the Boss GT-6B sounds like every Boss stomp box I've ever owned. Same with the SE-70.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Individual boxes allow you much more control over your sound and, if one breaks, you've still got the rest of your 'toys' to play with. On the other hand, a multi-FX unit will probably work out cheaper if you can find two or three separate patches you like and is also more portable and quicker to set up than a bag of individual pedals.

I frequently use my Zoom 505-II (yes - guitar FX on the bass :ninja: ) and while I fully accept that it's not the greatest sound quality, that's often not such a big issue in live environments. I've got one patch I use a lot, a couple more that come out now and again, and it's great as a very visible inline tuner. To get the same sort of sounds by building a collection of individual pedals would be much more awkward and costly for my purposes.

Wulf

6. JES

JES Supporting Member

You can also mix it. I use pedals for distortion and filters, but a multifx for modulation. Sounds great.

Best,
    --JES

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Mostly I use time based effects. Verb, Chorus, Delay and Flange. I have a few analog pedals which I really like, Flangers for the most part. If I'm laying down a track, I'm going to use a dedicated box and be careful to capture the nuances of the box.

In a live setting you can't beat the convenience of a racked MEU. I use an old Digitech GSP-21. The flange isn't as thick and gooey as either the MXR or ADA but the verb is good, the delay is clean and the chorus is OK - and I can buy two used replacements for about half of the cost of a good clean ADA.

The sad reality is that by the time that flange makes it through the rest of a live setting, you'd be hard pressed to tell one from another or the boutique or vintage pedals, for the most part ...

8. I'm doing the same thing right now my live pedal board is a Bass Balls, custom distortion, UniBass, Deep Impact into a Zoom 607 for everything else.