1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Go Round deals

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Burwabit, Sep 29, 2017.

1. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    no, the bass is a surprisingly great mid-90's Chinese Squier P! It's got one of the nicest necks I've ever seen on an import bass, figured neck *and* fretboard. The electronics were junk and have been replaced, but i think i paid $120 for it and got the pickups for free so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I made it into a Dee Dee/Cliff Williams-style '70s P with a black guard and a Badass. a previous owner had sanded off the Squier logo so i took the opportunity to add a big '70s Fender logo as well.

IMG_2737.JPG

A-Step-Towards and Burwabit like this.
  2. Very cool, saw the serial and thought it may be A 1997 Chinese vista series but I love me A black and white P specifically A PJ! Built A similar project this year, unfortunately spent a lot more lol

de1orean likes this.
  3. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
  4. de1orean likes this.
  5. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    not surprised at that price!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    https://www.musicgoround.com/p/857365/used-gibson-grabber-3-70s-tribute-bass-bass-guitar-black

This is a reissue Gibson G3 at a nice price for a USA made bass. I noticed that this has a set neck where the originals had bolt on necks. I wonder if these have the Bill Lawrence designed pickups like the original. I spoke to Bill once when I as putting a Gibson S-1 guitar back together that someone had pulled the guts out of. (The pickups and circuits in the S-1 and Marauder guitars and the G3, Ripper and Grabber basses were all Bill Lawrence designed.) He told me that in his opinion the G3 was the best sounding of the three. He kept going on about how good that model sounded. If you are not familiar with them, the middle pickup is always on (subject to the volume control) and therefore, all three positions are hum cancelling.

TolerancEJ, dave79 and de1orean like this.
  7. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    What’s was the price?

8. I didn’t see the posting until it already sold. It seems Music Go Round deleted the sale price afterward.

9. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I thought someone was asking about the G3, so I looked it up. That one is still available.

10. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    Used WARMOTH Bass Guitar | Bass Guitars | Music Go Round St. Louis

Very nice Warmoth here in STL. Roasted maple neck. Grover tuners, Gotoh bridge, P Style body, Duncan bassline jazz pickups, active Aguilar 2 band preamp. Things punchy as all hell, I traded for another passive Warmoth that works better in my setup. This thing is gnarls charles, take my word for it!

11. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    "With a slight neck twist it should work itself out"
    Wouldn't touch this one with a barge poll

TolerancEJ and dave79 like this.
  12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    That is really a tough one, as I have seen MGR employees who know very little about how to do simple adjustments to instruments. Pawn shops are really notorious for this. About a year ago I saw a listing on ebay for a MTD Kingston Z5 with actual Bart pickups that I considered bidding on but forgot about, but then it appeared again a month later from the same seller, a pawn shop in CA. The updated listing stated the bass had been returned because the neck had a twist in it. I decided to take a chance and got it for the opening bid of $500. When I unpacked it, I found a red burst (not the brown burst as on a Z) ZX5 (total Bart electronics) with a serial number starting with "P", and a truss rod that was as loose as a goose, if not backed up to create a bow. I inquired with the distributer about the serial number with the "P" in front and was told that it was in fact a prototype ZX5. I tightened the truss rod and it plays like a dream, and may be the only ZX5 out there with a red burst (yellow-red-black, like a Fender P-Bass sunburst) gloss finish. MGR...call and ask, see if they will text you a pic of the neck to see if it is really a twist or just a bow that needs adjustment. If it is an actual twist, and the parts are worth anything to you, see if you can make a deal that works for all...if not, run away as quick as you can. :)

13. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    $1399. I was going to get it but it was already sold.

14. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Wow someone stole that! With all original parts. That’s my local store too. To bad i didn’t see it.

15. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    mindwell likes this.
  16. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
  17. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Looks pretty cool, especially for the price. Looks like Schaller Bassbucker pickups. Those are four wire so can be run series, parallel or single coil, so if you can get in there to add push/pull pots, there are plenty of sounds.

steelbed45 likes this.
  18. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    purpleflyhunter likes this.
  19. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Maybe it's just me, but there appears to be a hairline crack on the back of the neck, (right side of the pic) near the base/bolt on area. Maybe it's just a striation in the wood. I just glanced quickly at it.

EpicSoundtracks likes this.