1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man 4string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeyGrizzle, Dec 11, 2006.

1. MikeyGrizzle

MikeyGrizzle

Dec 5, 2006
    :help: I was thinking about getting a new guitar. I found this guitar on the web and was wondering if I could get some opinions on this. Mainly what is OLP and what is the difference between this and the regular MM Stingray? It looks like a really good price, but is it a good value? I would of course play it before I buy it, but if you guys could give me some tips that would be awesome.

Here is the bass

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_olp_mm2_4string_bass_guitar?full_sku=102468816

2. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I'v tested the whole range and I'll give you a short list of price-quality. All those are good instruments. The OLP and the passive SUB seemed to have less balls than any active one. If you have only the money to buy an OLP, I suggest you look also to Ibanez (RD 500 or SRX)

1. OLP MM
    2. Musicman SUB passive
    3. OLP tony (active)
    4. Musicman SUB active
    5. Musicman stingray

I've got the SUB active

3. MikeyGrizzle

MikeyGrizzle

Dec 5, 2006
    Thank you, I really appreciate your help.:D

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    OLP is a 3rd party knock-off that has no relationship with MusicMan whatsoever other than they are allowed to use the basic design of the Stingray. The difference in quality is huge (as is the difference in price). A good comparison would be to think of OLP as the "Squire" of the Stingray space . . .

The SUB is a real MusicMan, but is a recently discontinued model, so if you like it, get it while they are still available . . . .

- Tim