1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man Cutlass or American Pro P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by outoftune, Oct 9, 2017.

1. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I am looking to make the jump from a Mexican to an American P bass and am now conflicted after listening to the MM Cutlass. Cutlass seems like a gamble bass while the P is a tried and true, but man the Cutlass sounds good.

American Professional:

or the Music Man Cutlass:

Jeff K and fender68 like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Cutlass .

shawn1288, Tbone76, PeterH and 10 others like this.
  3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I haven’t played the Cutlass and I love a good Precision. I just don’t see how you can lose with either bass really. They both sound good. Good luck.

4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I played both and owned a cutlass briefly. The cutlass does not sound like a pbass. It does not have the same barky clarity in the highs that you know from the P. Personally i love that about the P and stayed with what i like.

The cutlass is a thicker tone that sounds rounder and less defined in the top end. Its really cool, but its going to come down to what you like. The playability and build quality of the cutlass is quite nice.

Just matters if you want a pbass or a little more of a different sound.

5. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    @AngelCrusher thanks for that response. I am hearing what you are describing. It seems like the Cutlass may have a bit much in the overall low end and get lost in a mix where the P just hits that middle ground and pops.
    Unfortunately I have no way of trying before buying when it comes to the Cutlass. I've played a couple Pro P's and they felt and sounded very good.

TinIndian and AngelCrusher like this.
  6. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    You can grab one from guitar center used online. If you don't like it, just return it to your local store. You will only be out the shipping.

maplenecked, pjbassist and outoftune like this.
  7. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Cutlass reeeeeeeally does not get lost in the mix. It's a way more versatile bass than you'd expect. I just played mine for an outside festival and could def hear every note. It's definitely a different beast than a US Precision, but not in any way inferior (or even tamer). I find it to be a much more playable bass than most P's I've tried - the satin neck finish and its dimensions are spot on. :)

Here's a clip of me playing mine with different tone settings. YMMV though and you gotta go with your gut!

tewnty_two, selowitch, Suncat and 4 others like this.
  8. The Cutlass is great bass but I still prefer a P-Bass. The Fender Pro is a great choice but for me the G&L LB 100 is the best P Bass out there.

Cool Bass, Clipped, TinIndian and 9 others like this.
  9. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    sounds a lot like a P Bass to me. Am I missing something?

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. navijaz

navijaz Guest

Sep 20, 2016
    Hey, just out of interest... What do you hope will improve with the MIA P? If you like your MIM, a bit of upgraded hardware might be all you need. Not meaning to be a troll, just saying.

11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    If you are looking for a great P bass then check the G&L L100. Sounds great on the videos.

12. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Tonally it does. Everything just seems a little hotter. But honestly that could be confirmation bias on my part because I prob EXPECT a EBMM to have a bit more thump. I've let my P's go so can't do a direct comparison.

One thing that feels really different is the super-contoured strat-style body. Feels a lot less elongated than a P. I don't think you can go wrong.

BTW I am SELLING the one in that clip if the OP is interested. Not because I don't love it. Just miss having a Fodera and would actually love to get their version - the Monarch P lol! (Would def be happy to hang onto this one otherwise!)
    For Sale - EBMM Cutlass - Diamond Blue/Maple, pristine

pjbassist likes this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I could at least hear Ed in this video... the vids posted, IMO, have too much song, and not enough bass up front... hard to determine which sounds better, as neither stood out.

Love the finish of the G&L... similar to the look I was shooting for, with my kit build... of course, I didn't come close...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    superdick2112 and Novarocker like this.
  14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    American Pro P. Ten years from now, nobody will even know what a MusicMan Cutlass is. But if you have any issues with the Fender, guaranteed to be able to find replacements parts easily.

15. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Fender

tonequixote and outoftune like this.
  16. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I’d like to see your crystal ball or is that a bottle of Crytal? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I wouldn’t make any purchases based on this type of logic. 10-years from now? I wouldn’t bet on the next 10 months FWIW. Just sayin’...

17. outoftune

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have definitely thought of going that route. Upgrade the pickups and I'm almost there. I've had some American made stuff in the past and there is a fit and finish that the Mexicans, while really really good, just don't have. Both Musicman and Fender USA basses just feel great.

Frenchy-Lefty and navijaz like this.
  18. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm personally a proponent of the new American Pro series. I've played both a jazz and P and they both sounded and felt really REALLY good. I'd go with the P.

19. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Great point! I just did this yesterday on a G&L at GC and they shipped it for FREE! So when it comes in, I get 45 days to "test drive" it! Its a win/win!

lowdownthump and AngelCrusher like this.
  20. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Cutlass has an extra fret. If that's something that you're into.

But then I don't think they look as good as the new Ps. But who cares about looks.

Personally I would go cutlass. Although I love the p i have so I'm biased.

lowdownthump likes this.