1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man Stingray 2-Band EQ Frequency Curves

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thundamental, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Thundamental

Thundamental Tone Chaser

Jul 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I am creating this post to clear up any any doubts or misinformation on the EBMM 2-band preamp. I found these frequency responses on another forum and realized the info isn't here, but it should be so here it goes... The preamp is not boost only. There is no perfectly "flat setting" but as you can see you CAN get very close. Hope this info helps.

T=5 means Treble Knob about half way.
    B=10 means Bass Knob all the way up.
    The settings vary in this test from 0-10.

T=0, B=0
    MMpre_T01_B01.PNG.png

T=10, B=10
    MMpre_T99_B99.PNG.png

T=4, B=5
    MMpre_T4_B5.PNG.png

T=4, B=3
    MMpre_T4_B3.PNG.png

T=4, B=7
    MMpre_T4_B7.PNG.png

T=10, B=0
    MMpre_T99_B01.PNG.png

T=0, B=10
    MMpre_T01_B99.PNG.png

2. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
  3. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Are those eq curves the same for the budget line stingrays also? Or are the preamps in those guitars different?

4. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Well, before comparing those diagrams take a look at the Y-axis scaling. It's not the same for each diagram .. which means they have to be shifted and aligned before overlaying them.

5. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Would the overall shape of the eq not still be relevant despite thar?

I was wondering if the same preamps are used in the cheaper stingray line?

6. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Of course vertcal alignment does not change the shape of the graph. Just in case you want compare the amount of cut/boost between two curves in different graphs you need to vertically align them first. It's just a bit misleading if you only compare the shapes without looking at their vertical values. But maybe I am just mentioning something obvious to anybody else.

manchild likes this.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Those modeled response curves are not even for the stock MM 2-band config, so all of that is essentially moot anyway. I made them as a very quick and dirty illustration for a DIY builder at DIY audio.com who was contemplating pre-buffering a pair of non-MM pickups and running that signal into a MM preamp. So I made no attempt to pretty things up, since they were never intended for more general consumption. I don't really mind that they were posted here without permission or attribution, but I wouldn't want anyone to be mislead. Yel_wink.gif

John East actually measured a stock preamp and posted his results on Talkbass and I would recommend just looking for those.

8. Interesting. Do you have some measurements for 3band eq StingRay ? It would be usefull to get flat response from bass and amp too.

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    But presumably (?) the basic takeaway (which seems to be what I hear from my 2-band) is the same, ie
    Bass: slight cut to significant boost with 'flat' somewhere close to 0;
    Treble: significant cut and boost, with the cut frequency lower than the boost frequency such the cut takes some high mids with it but the boost really only affects the very top.

10. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    While it may not yield a no-cut, no-boost condition, all the 3-band preamps I've been around have the center detent on the EQ knobs.

It may not be "flat", but it seems like a good starting place. And I leave them on the center detent all the time on my SR5s except to sometimes lower the treble for a less-agressive tone when called for.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021