1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Stingray problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HigherGround93, Oct 3, 2009.

1. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    So two days ago I got a beautiful Musicman Stingray for $600, when I got it and brought it home I played it and something was funky with the electronics, it would make a ripped distorted sound randomly at times, the guy I bought it from on CL had not told me this. Besides that the bass is great and is fully setup and intonated. My luthier told me I should get some money back from the guy because its a $200 fix. What should I do?

2. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Battery? If not, that probably explains why it was $600. $800 for a 'ray is still a exceptional deal.

3. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    Well I replaced the battery when I got it with a new one. SHould I still explain to the guy the problem and ask for some money back? If he says no should I still keep it?

4. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    If it's not the battery and seems to be a serious problem with the electronics, get in touch with the guys at Musicman. They will send you a brand new electronics at a relatively low price, the only thing you have to do is sending back the original electronics to them. (They do it in order to avoid "monster" Stingrays mounting on the market: so if you change the electronics and you sell the original MM electronics, someone will put it into a different/cheaper bass.)
    At least that was the case 2 or 3 years ago when I contacted them about a similar issue.
    THOUGH, it sounds like you are having a battery problem...

5. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    The guy who had it before me said he never used the active electronics, is it possible that when i put in a battery the bass the bass wasn't "used to" the battery and had to get used to it? It seems to work smoother now then when I first put the battery in and I didn't do anything to the input jack or electronics.

6. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Stingrays do not work without battery as far as I know. They don't have passive option... So the guy must have modified the original electronics.

7. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    I see,when I plugged it in first it had no battery but it could still play, bass,mid, and treble controls on the bass just didnt work.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thats normal, but normally the output is pretty damn low if you do that.

I'm not certain, but if the guy normally played it without the battery in (passive) maybe that messed up the electronics.

I would definatly call Ernie Ball and see what they could do for you. Then maybe contact the seller and see if he'll pay for it if you really love the bass.

9. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    Alright thanks guys

10. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I've had many Stingrays, but never any problems w/ the electronics. If it's not the battery Call MM CS. I've dealt with them on a few issues and questions, more then helpful.

Even if you do have to put some cash into it you got a heck of a deal.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even with a $200 repair, that's a decent price for a Stingray.

12. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Yeah thats a great price. Im sure its nothing big to fix. Call Ernie Ball. They will take care of you.

13. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Change the battery.

14. Read the thread.
    OP, sounds like you got a good deal even if you have to pay for a repair. You know the rules, no pic no bass!

15. Maktesh

Maktesh

Jan 30, 2009
    I'm very interested in picking up a stingray once I have the cash, let us know how it turns out.

16. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Check the jack. Mine wore out after a while. It have a weird distortion sound. It was about a $100 repair including parts and labor.

17. HigherGround93

HigherGround93

May 3, 2009
    It did it again randomly today when I was jamming, I don't think it's my input jack because it happens randomly, I can play fine then when I turn on the amp and all you hear is this ripping sound(not really a distortion but it sounds like a car reving its engine. I used 3 different cords today so it's not the cord. My luthier says it could be a sign of the electronics going bad. If you guys really want I'll get a pic later. Should I try asking the guy who sold it to me for some cash back?

18. My Stingray does something similar, from the sounds of it. It works and sounds 100%, but sometimes if you don't have the cord looped through the strap, it will cut out for a sec and make this insanely loud ripping, screaming noise. I actually recorded it and used it for a song once :D

If it happens randomly and sounds like your bass is screaming, I assume it is the jack, as I assume with mine.

19. MutronIII

MutronIII

Mar 13, 2002
    Pre going bad because there was no (or dead) battery? That's just nonsense.

I'd double check the jack, maybe look for cold solder joints. It sounds like there is an intermittent short somewhere. Flex the wires and see if you can induce the sound.

$200 is pretty steep... $100 is pretty steep for jack fix as well. Frankly, I'd look for another repair guy. This might be a good time to learn how to use a soldering iron.

20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sometimes the battery pins don't make proper contact with the battery. Make certain there's enough spring pressure on the battery clip there to make contact. I would clean everything too, use a q-tip and clean the contacts in the jack.

If worse comes to absolute worse, and the preamp is indeed bad, I was told a new factory supplied replacement costs about $75 bucks with trade-in of your old unit.