1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Must you glue the nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joshua Phelps, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    I was just installing some new nuts on some of my jazz basses & was wondering if you have to glue them? & if so way? What will happen? I've noticed on some of my Mexican basses the nuts aren't really glues even from the factory they kind of just pull out.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a bass where I didn't glue the nut on. Pure laziness really.... I installed the nut without glue to see how it would fit. It worked so well I didn't bother to glue it in :D

I'm sure there are really good reasons why you should glue it in though....

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Simple...Just so it can't slide around if you bend the strings. A properly glued nut should pull out with minimal effort. If it's a good tight fit its not absolutely necessary.

4. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    You know how I commented on the jazzes I had with unglued nuts, well I also remember having a rosewood board mim that had a crazy crack that went in the direction of the strings & it was located right where the angle is in the nut slot. Perhaps this occurred due to the nut pressing against it.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I only bend a string on one song.... Folsom Prison Blues. At the end of the guitar solo I bend the low G.

But I do have fairly high tension flats on the bass, so that probably helps hold the nut in place.

6. 96tbird

Love me some Fulsom string bending too! Anyway, if you decide to glue, two pinheads at thirds on the bottom of the nut is all you want. Nothing more than string tension is required for clamping. No Fulsom Prison for 24 hours!

7. Hi.

I usually don't unless the string pull isn't straight/balanced.

Regards
    Sam

8. I usually just use a dab of elmers so the nut
    doesn't slip but so I can also get the nut out
    easy. Never use crazy glue.

waynobass likes this.
  9. 96tbird

NEVER use crazy glue! Yes, thanks. It's just too hard to control. Some folks do, but they are experienced and know what they are doing.

Once again, it the fit is very snug, It is not imperative to glue.

10. Praxist

Praxist

May 28, 2010
    British Columbia
    Wow, i totally disagree with that. In my own limited experience, I would say never use wood glue, and always use CA glue because it's much easier to tap it out if you need to and nuts dont' need a lot of holding power to keep them in place. What say the actualy luthiers?

11. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    +1 on the elmers..

12. I'm surprised no one has argued that they get better tone with a glued nut because the glue facilitates a better energy transfer from strings to neck.:meh:
    (Not that I'd believe it does.)

13. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    You never want to glue your nuts.

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    One tiny drop of CA is all it takes.

15. 96tbird

A "Wow" is a not required man. The fact is that crazy glue can make a mess if you aren't familliar. If you are not comfortable in using CA, then don't use it. I understand it works and well, I also understand guys can get into a mess with it and I would shy away from advising it to all but those familiar with it.

The point here is advice that won't get the uniniated into a mess!

Edit: CA is the best glue for metal.

16. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    One small drop of CA on each side of the nut. I would not use wood glue as non porous/non wood materials wont really stick and with wood nuts it bonds too well and could make replacement difficult.

17. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    Ca on a nut is a nightmare! You only get one nut slot & there isn't any room for error. "tapping" it out is a horrible idea too. You never want to force that nut out in anyway. The traditional way of tapping it out with a block of wood is sketchy too. If its done to hard you will knock off the whole end of the fingerboard off! I had to remove a nut some dummy superglued in recently & BOY was it a treat! 1 hour slowly sawing it in half so I could collapse it at the base. Ca is way to strong!

18. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    +1

Wood glue (especially bond tite) works too well. You will end up pulling wood out when/if you try to replace the nut the next time.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to "cut" or "file" peices of a nut out of it's slot because someone decided that wood glue or even better, two part epoxy was needed.

19. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    Wow! Dummy of the year award would have to go to whoever epoxied a nut in haha. Makes me want to ask them, you know these are supposed to be removable right? Next time I do a new nut I'm going to solder or maybe weld it in then on top of that I'm going to seal it with epoxy :)

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    depends.
    If the nut fits well, there is no need to glue it in I think...