1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mxr di plus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jaysixty, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jaysixty

jaysixty

Jan 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I've seen some reviews on this pedal and it looks pretty decent! Just wondering what you guys think of this pedal! I've got a chance to get one for a good price so what do you guys think?

2. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Depends what you're looking for. If you are looking to get something awesome out of the distortion, you'll be quite sad. But a decent 3 band EQ and a DI for cheap? It does that quite well.

3. jaysixty

jaysixty

Jan 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    What would you recommend for a bass distortion? A buddy of mine owns a music shop and is a mxr dealer but I dont really know much about there distortions

4. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Personally, I use a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail. Can go from nice light overdrive to almost fuzzy distortion.

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I use an MXR M80 DI and it works fine for me and many others here on TB.
    And I like the distortion on it ,has a clean /dis blend , 3 band and a good price new.

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    It's a great pedal. Really versatile.
    It doesn't colour the sound like some other di/ pres do. The eq I've found to be really useful, and the key to the drive is to use the gain high and the blend to keep it solid. It really helps me to push through the mix with the harder, more aggressive sounding tunes

7. i've been using one for the past year for shows, and it's held up really well. i think for the price, it's excellent. personally, i found that the gain was a bit iffy and have upgraded to a darkglass b7k (just waiting on it to be made!).

still, it is very good and as the guy above said, it doesn't colour the sound very much, which is great.

8. jaysixty

jaysixty

Jan 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I would kill for a dark glass b7k but it's not within my budget! Thanks for the help

9. +1
    nice distortion,without so much lows loss,blend option,colour switch(almost always on for me),eq,3 different outputs(PA,amp,and tuner-or another line of fx),phantom,phosphorus knobs(glow in dark)....not much else one could ask for...
    BUT,I said it earlier in one thread-funny thing 'bout this one-I owned 2 so far,and they were completly different..the first one had a low volume issue(my sound tech kept asking for more gain,and volume was already around 3 o'clock-which gave me a clipping in the amp),then it got fried,and this one i own now has the volume set too high(they keep asking me to turn down the gain,and i keep thinking i need more)
    guess it's the XLR output issue,though i'm not sure how/why...
    overall,mighty,mighty pedal....:bassist:

10. Its a good pedal, i like the equalizer as it really keeps the sound clear, but there are better distortion pedals out there. Still happy to use it all together.

11. Vandy

Vandy Banned

Dec 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Oh, man!
    Your buddy's an MXR Dealer?
    Sweet!
    Check out their Bass Envelope Filter, and their Bass Octave Deluxe (those two really complement each other). The mavens on this Forum have wa-a-ay more info, too . . .

12. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Distortion is **** on it. Its a good preamp though, and the distortion channel can be used with the blend all the way down as a way of turning on and off the colour switch with the foot pedal.