1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My amp pushing less when other things are connected, how can I resolve the problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toto93, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I have a Markbass f1. It works perfect and gives me a lot of volume when i am rehearsing. but when I am on certain gigs and the current is not so good the amp pushes half the volume and i don't know how to resolve it. i would appreciate some help. thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What speakers?, and what do you mean by "current not so good"? Sounds more like a room issue, which should be resolved by using your eq.

3. No. Sometimes I try it and when all the other equipment is turned off the amplifier gives me full power. but then when the guitar amps are on, and all the other things that requier electricity are on, the amplifier gives me half the power. sometimes I turn on the amp and it gives me full power for 15 seconds and then it starts giving me much more less.

4. sure it's not the effect of the guitar amps being much louder and your hearing adjusting?

5. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    you need a volt meter......

6. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    some amps are very effected by a bad current. I had a ampeg pf500 sharing a power strip witha tweed fender tube amp. was a disaster. Dont know what is in the F1 but i IIRC i rwad somewhere that class d amps are very vunerable to power current issues.

7. so what can i do to solve the problem, supposing it is a current issue? i am sure it is not the effect of the amps being louder.

8. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

Jul 19, 2012
    Cedar Rapids IA
    If this is truly the case.. It sounds like a power conditioner may solve it.... I use a Furman

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No. Most "conditioners" actually choke current, they do not magically undo excessive current draw.

There are voltage regulators out there, including ones by Furman, which would maintain constant voltage--but if the current draw is too heavy and the wall supply too inadequate, the regulator will just shut you down.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As far as "what to do", I'd say try running your amp from a different outlet at the venue. It may help sometimes, if the two outlets take separate paths to the main house power.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Are you using long extension cables to get power to the stage?

12. yeah make sure the power isn't all coming from one outlet which goes to the venue next door.

Amps don't pull that much current in the grand scheme of things, kettles pull more