1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Cat made my AMP his scratching post!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aziandoll, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Um... ok... yeah, my cat made my AMP his scratching post. So, I've had this amp for less than 2 months and now it looks fine with black fuzz around the casing. Has anyone else had this problem? Can I just replace the casing? ARGH. I can't believe this. I never noticed it until now. Any other cat owners out there?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get an airsoft gun or a squirt bottle.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    My cat has recently taken a liking to sleeping bunched up against my B100R. Luckily there aren't any scratch marks, but I do keep an eye on her. Little Demon.

4. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Get the cat's front paws declawed.

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    High powered water gun.... works like a charm.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You cruel, cruel man!

I did that to my cat, too. Works well but I regretted it later.

7. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Well, my next suggestion was going to be to chain a pit bull to your amp.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Did you get a good deal from the taxidermist? :bag:

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My cats wanted to scratch the carpet on my cab too - I told them "no" and sprayed the cab with some anti-scratch stuff I bought at Petsmart. It really works, they leave it alone now. I used the spray stuff on the couch too, and they leave that alone. Give it a try - it really seems to work.

Now, the cats like to jump up on my amp and use it as way to get to the window that they like to sit in - but they're not doing any damage so it let that go...

10. To declaw a cat they cut off the end of each 'finger' at the first knuckle. Pretty brutal.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You could have them coated.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Don't have the cat de-clawed. Maybe you should have your cab de-carpeted.

In all seriousness, they make products for this that work - go to a pet store and spend $2.99 for the spray and problem solved. Jeez.

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    How about I get you DECLAWED!!!:mad:

14. Personally, I recover the cab in cat fur...and I know just the cat.

15. yeah try that spray that the fellow suggested. There was a thread a while ago about all the people who have similar issues with their cats. Cabs from el cheapo up to epifani etc. Yes expensive cat scratching posts when ones using their berg or eden, glock you name it and the cats will scratch it.

16. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    The spray will do it.

My cat cowers when I fire up my rig. Pretty much leaves my stuff alone, but will sit, lay or even sleep inside an open hardshell case for some reason.

17. foyos

foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    my dogs used to like sleeping in my basses gig bag?!?!?!?!?!as for the scratching those anti scratch sprays from the shops usually work!as far as the damage done...there goes the saying better safe tha sorry.hope it isn't to bad

18. Drpepper99uk

Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004
    London,U.K
    My cat's pretty good, he won't claw or go anywhere near my rig.The only thing he likes to do I play with the strings when I change them for a new set which can be a pain sometimes :)

19. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Well I dont wanna give any advice about any potential cat mutilation HERE'S HOW TO GET THE CAB LOOKING NEW AGAIN:

I've had this problems several times. If the actual carpet isnt ripped, just pulled up and knobbed from the cat scratching, just go get yourself a pair of decent Wahl hairclippers and run that bastard over the affected area with no guard. It'll clip off all the badness and your cab will look pretty much as it did before except on close inspection

20. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Seal the little turd in the speaker cab and crank it up.
    That should do it.