My custom homebrew 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeeugene, May 3, 2004.

1. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    Just wanted to share the fruits of 2 months showering in sawdust. It's my first attempt at making a bass (or any form of woodwork for that matter) and I was inspired after lurking around this forum and seeing way too many custom basses that i could not afford.

so i took the easy way out. i retired my washburn xb600 and recycled the neck for my project since its my first time and i didn't have the tools or confidence to attempt a neck from scratch.

here are the specs

Body : Figured African mahogany with quilted maple top
    Neck : Maple
    FB: Rosewood (i think)
    Bridge: Slim Tail 6 from Custom Shop Parts
    Pickups: EMG 45 Js (a pair)
    EQ: EMG BQS (trb, bass and sweepable mids with 18v)

since it was my first time, the body shape was based on one of the best looking basses around in my opinion, the Plume from JP (many many many thanks for that design JP, hope you don't mind me borrowing it for my little project).

Thanks to all on the forum for their help!
  2. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    More pics of the headstock and the pickup covers
  3. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    last one of the back.
  4. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    damn!!! You did a great job!!!

...I am really impressed... and I am sure jp will be flattered. :)
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Very nice looking bass....only problem is I could have sworn you said "My custom hebrew 6 string". I won't even go off on that tangent....

pretty amazing job for your first time (or for any time for that matter)
  7. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks for the kind words. It hasnt been set up properly yet cos I'm in the middle of tweaking the truss rod. it's buzzing ever so little on the lower frets. I love the washburn neck cos the string spacing is pretty narrow (just the way i like it). It's so narrow that even with a Hipshot adjustable A style bridge, the B and C strings go off the fretboard at the 18th fret.

another problem i didnt forsee. i was really hardup for wooden pickup covers. problem was that i was using EMGs, which is sealed. so with the EMG's plastic cover and the wooden cover, the distance between the strings and the magnets are more than i would like. and since emgs dont have strong magnets, i have to turn up the volume on the amp higher than normal.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Very nice bass. I'm very impressed!

Just wondering though---you said you THINK it's rosewood on the F/B, and that is some REALLY dark rosewood if so.

Could be wrong :)
  9. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    Ijust checked. it is a rosewood fingerboard. prob the lighting in the shot that made it look darker than it is.
  10. Im assumming its tuning is Standard BEADGC?
  11. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    yup, thats right. i plan to build a 35 incher when i have the time. the washburn neck is a 34 and the B is a little sloppy.
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nice!! Looks like a JP Plume and a Warwick Thumb had a love child!!
  13. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

strange feeling to see the first Plume copy...

Well I guess I would have appreciated that you ask before using the shape :meh:

Nice job for a first one anyway. Looking forward to see #2, with your own design of course ;)

14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Does anyone know what the law is in this regard? (Putting the ethical issues aside of course).

Ie presumably you dont have to ask Fender to make a JB copy now days, although there was some talk of them patenting their body designs. Maybe you have to ask Roger Sadowsky if you want to make a good jazz bass :bag: ;)

Can JP protect the "plume" shape from copies in the US / Europe?

PS its a bloody good effort for a first go at woodworking / bassmaking! if I didnt know better, it would be hard to pick from a bass made by well known lutheirs (at least from the photos!)
  15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    lol Mark,

I was not at all thinking about those kind of issues. I won't protect the shape.
    In fact I don't really mind that some guys build a copy of my designs.

Wolfehollow though I would be flattered, I'm sorry I can't help to say that this is not the feeling I have right now. Well i'm not pissed off neither :D Kinda strange feeling to see this thread this morning, just after waking up. Coffee all over my laptop :help:

Fred and I just build a small number of basses a year and they're all like our babies so seeing one exact copy is kinda weird.

I just think it would have been much nicer to ask before using the shape. That's what I would have done anyway.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

RE: the control cavity cover........are you considering re-doing it so the woodgrain direction matches the body? Other than that it's a very nice bass.
  17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Looks like very nice work.

I am not at all in favor of your copying JP's design without his permission.

You might have taken a lesson from Kenneth Lawrence who admired Harry Fleishman's bass work. He asked permission to use his designs for his own first instruments, and ended up forming a relationship with him. He uses a few elements to this day, with Harry's blessing.

But it's too late for that, isn't it?

::no applicable smiley::
  18. that's rezally beautifull
  19. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    To JP

I offer my sincerest apologies for not asking before I made the copy. technically, i didn't wait for a reply. I sent you an email or two a couple of months back before I started work on it asking if you would mind if i borrowed the design for my first bass. basically said it would be a one off thing and it wouldn't be sold or anything like that.

anyway, it's a lesson learnt. I really appreciate the work that JP and all the other great luthiers out there do and after going through this experience of building one, i can vouch 110% for the price of a custom handmade bass. in fact, with the details that are put into some, its considered a bargain at 2-3 grand.

once again, sorry (and thanks) to JP for the side order of shock with your coffee this morning.
  20. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Never received those emails and many people here could attest that I usually reply to email stuff within a couple of hours.

There's something emotional about bass design and construction for me. All those basses are my babies and I would have been better prepared to see yours if you have asked permission (I would has say yes of course).

Anyway, I hope you'll come ou with your own designs from now.