My Full Circle doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Barcza, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I using the FC since 2 years. I really love that pickup, it works perfectly for me, in every situation.
    Few days before, I installed a new string set, Evah Pirazzi ( the strings are fantastic ), but I had to adjust the bridge after the installation. After that, my Full Circle stopped working:bawl:. No signal, no noise, just quiet!
    Have you got some idea, what can I do. I don't like to buy it again, if not necessary.:(

2. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Maybe return it to where you bought it to see if theres any warranty, if not then you can take the small screws off it and see if any solder has broken loose, or test the wire for continuity. It may be a simple fix.

3. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yeah, I I didn't know this small screws. Do you know how can I look inside the jack?

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    It's imperative you don't touch the wire when adjusting your wheels. 9 times out of 10 the wire breaks on the inside just where it exits the adjuster. Unless the solder joints were messed with on the jack at some point that's where most of them fail when they do.

Can't fix that to easy in the field. Call Fishman or the luthier that installed it.

5. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Thanks Uncletoad,
    We worked on the wheels together with my father, who is a luthier, but he mostly works on violins. We tired to be careful, but the hot wheel was very tight, need lot of power to move, and maybe we make some mistake. I have a guy who is a good amp builder, and technician, but his on holiday, I can meet him on the next week. I'm afraid because, I don't see any screws on the hot wheel and on the jack, where we can look inside the wire, so I don't see how can be disassemble this pickup.:confused:

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    They are very difficult to reassemble once they have been taken apart. Contact Fishman and send the whole assembly to them.

It's best to detune the strings before you move the adjuster wheels. If they still move stiffly when under little tension they are not installed properly.

7. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    We detuned the string before.
    I will try to contact with Fishman, but I'm afraid wil be not easy to deal with them, becouse I live in Europe.

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Prior to reinstalling you should review the installation instructions and be sure all the angles are correct and the holes are tapped to the right dimensions.

Fishman is a global company, you should be fine.

9. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland

Aha! No screws. Sounds like the pickup you have is an older model, where the parts were glued together. They work great....until they just stop. The new ones have 4 small screws on one side.

Same thing happened to me. I contacted Fishman, and they sent me a new pickup when I returned the broken one, no charge.

It may be more difficult from Europe, but it will be well worth the time.

10. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    So since when? I bought my FS a year ago in UK and it doesn't have screws.

11. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I contacted with Fishman, just now, I waiting for the answer. I'm afraid, because, I ordered the pickup from an abroad online store, instead of the authorized Hungarian distributor, becuause it was cheaper, oh fool me:( I haven't got the bill by this time.

12. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I received this answer from Fishman:

Hi Jozsef,
    Unfortunately, your Full Circle can't be disassembled for repair. If
    the pickup has been damaged or the crystal piezo broken, it can't be
    serviced.

Best Regards,

:eek::confused::eyebrow:

13. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Curious ..... How did you word your message to Fishman?

Presuming that you have not attempted to open the pickup, or otherwise forcibly damaged the pickup, you may not have reached the end of the line.

When I contacted Fishman for service, I told them that I was advised by my repair guy that they (Fishman) were aware of the defect, and were offering replacements for defective glued pickups. They never asked me where I purchased my broken pickup.

So, if you have not opened and tried to repair yourself, I suggest that you contact them again and request replacement in lieu of repair. You have nothing to lose. If they are committed to providing first class customer service, they will do the right thing.

14. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Maybe I was loser a bit, it would be better, if I don't say I adjust the bridge, just say did nothing, and the pickup doesn't work.
    I send another email, but don't really believe.

15. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Now i got this message:

"The current version has 4 screws. The older version is held together by
    conductive glue. Your symptoms indicate that the piezo crystal has been
    damaged. You may be able to turn the pickup and get some intermittent
    output, but the pickup can't be repaired.

Best Regards,"
    :crying::crying::crying: