1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Lightwave Addiction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Single Coil, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Single Coil

Single Coil Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    I have been playing bass for 33 years. In that time I have owned many basses, primarily Fenders and Rics. The bass I have had the longest is my 1998 Carvin B4 which I can't see ever selling.

I have a reasonably full schedule given that I'm also a full time chemistry teacher. I play two services per Sunday twice a month at my church (about 400-500 people each Sunday), I play in an originals band, a cover band, and I play in two local musicals each year.

About five months ago I found myself in possession of an extra P-Bass which I traded for a 2005 fretted Lightwave SL5. As soon as I played it, it was obvious that I liked the tone. There was a problem with the electronics, but I was adamant about keeping this bass. The notes just seemed to jump out.

Long story short, I sent the bass off for repair and in the process ended up acquiring a 2014 Lightwave VL fretless. This is by far the nicest fretless I've ever owned.

I have read some mixed reviews of these basses over the years, but I do not have any reservations about these instruments. They have become my main basses. My Ric 4003, Carvin B4, and fretless Jazz hybrid are feeling neglected I'm sure.

Now I'm thinking of getting a fretted 4 string...

Obligatory pics below.
    Lightwave SL5 Fretted.JPG LightWave VL5 Fretless 2.JPG

And just for the record, I am not being compensated in any way by Willcox Guitars, I just love these things.

Herrick, Les Ismoor and wmmj like this.
  2. A fretted 4? But you've already got one! Just ignore the B string! :D

3. Single Coil

Single Coil Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    B string? I thought that was a thumb rest!

In all seriousness, I have some chronic neck pain and one of the other positive things about the Lightwaves is their weight. Both of my fivers weigh less than 8 pounds, but the four strings regularly weigh less than 7 pounds. This is also one of the reasons the Ric is seeing less playtime.

BioWeapon likes this.
  4. I mean, I didn't need any extra GAS but here we are... that's damn light.

5. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've got 5 or 6 Lightwave's at present and absolutely love them!!!

6. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I've wondered about them for some time, how much dynamic effect does your attack have on its tone? Does it respond like a mag pickupped bass? I love how clear they sound, but I kinda assume they'd respond differently.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Not sure how many you actually have? :laugh:

8. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ya I have about 185+/- guitars all together and about 150 are basses. I buy and sell so many that I'm not sure what I have many times. However, I keep 5 lightwaves as my go to basses when I play out or have a fly in gig. But ya there could always be a few more in the woodpile that I don't know about.