my name is joe nerve.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    gotta split for a while. yeah, i know you're all gonna miss me. get out the tissue box. had a revelation while driving alone in the snowstorm on sunday.

i used to have a phone answering machine that took regular casette tapes. i therefore kept the tapes for journalistic purposes. glad i did. while driving in the snow i listened to about an hours worth of 12 year old phone messages. what i learned....

i used to have more friends.

i was a lot more creative.

i used to do a lot more fun things.

i seemed more vibrant and alive, i could tell by the enthusiasm of the people leaving messages.

i had more things going on in my life, school, other shows, theater.

what's different? the damn internet is what's different. i spend a good 2 to 4 hours a day (sometimes more) doing nothing but wasting time here. i'm doing it right now in fact.

i need to turn over a new leaf, and i figure if i go public with it i have more of a chance of adhereing to it. i shall from now on only check my emails in the morning and early evening. all other times my computer will be turned off, and my goal is to get to a point where i check my emails only about 2X a week and use the computer only when absolutely necessary.

my name is joe nerve, and i'm an internet junky.

i suddenly feel as if a weight has been lifted. see yas.
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    congratulations on your least you recognized it before it was too late.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Say it ain't so...

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Wow man! I think this place will be different with out you. Do what you gotta do. I wish I could fiqure out what the hell my problem is. I hope it's not talk bass, but probably something along those lines.
  6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I wish you best in your new (old) ways of looking for friends, fun, and creativity. The internet has claimed thousands of less active people (me being one of them).

But it's not all bad! Think of the people and fellow bass players you have met through the internet. You can't tell me the net has not taught you something?

Sorry but getting a computer has opened many doors for me.

Well, I've never had a conversation with you, nor a disagreement, but I will miss your posts.
    Please check in from time to time to give us some nerve!! :p

Have fun, from one Joe to another.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Face it NET Boy, you're ours :smug:

Seriously, Have at it Joe! and if'n you find yourself on the Jersey Coast about half way down the state... look me up! I could use an excuse to step off this dang computer for a night myself.

Oh yeah, I guess I should say it too...

Hello My name is James, I'm also an internet Junky :(
  8. You said it was a 12 year old tape? Of course you sounded more vibrant and energetic you and your friends were 12 years younger!
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Via Con Dios
  9. Later man. I understand.

I've cut way back. Work's gotten more productive during the day. My music/other hobbies have been progressing nicely.

Good for you. Go kick some personal ass.
  10. Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I'd imagine that a goodly percentage of Joe's friends are married/settled down/etc.
  11. I spend like 6 hours a day on the computer ... maybe more.
  12. I've found that when I've been in a situation where I work in front of a computer, the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is sit down and get on the Internet.
  13. Thats why I'm going to take Computer Engineering :)
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're leaving us? You bastrich!
  15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure you will find other more interesting
    methods of self-flagellation.

Here's a box of tissues for the road.

Check in from time to time when reality wears

16. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Aw man...Joe, you are one of my favorite people here on Talkbass. I will definitely miss you and I hope you come back eventually:(
  17. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I tell you Joe, you sure have your nerve, leaving us like this.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That is what happened to me when I wanted to leave TB forever (and lasted a week). I thought I wasn't connecting with friends enough, but then I realized my best friend from high school became a junkie, because of my other friend from high school who is also a junkie and deep down inside always was one. A couple of friends became alcholics, other friends are out of town, but I keep in touch when I can.

My local friends, one of them is quite a distance away and is kinda annoying and needs to be taken in doses. My other friends locally drink every night, so I only sometimes visit them, usually when they aren't drinking. They either drink with each other or have a party every other night, it's terrible. One of them had a Spanish class in the morning at 9 every Tuesday and Thursday, he missed it 9 times this semester. You are allowed 2 unexcused absenses, then they deduct a letter grade for each absense. So lets say he got an A. Minus 7 letter grades, B, C, D, F, G, H, I... he got an I in that class.

And people wonder why I don't drink/smoke. :rolleyes: Maybe I just need cooler friends, I dunno. But it's also hard for me to meet new friends... because I don't drink at parties. Everything in college revolves around alcohol and it makes me ****ing sick.

Enough about my problems, like said earlier, maybe you haven't changed that much, maybe your friends have. But you seem like a very social guy, with the way you dress on stage, you gotta be. So good luck Joe. :bassist:

See you in a couple of weeks tops.
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Grab him boys, he's gettin' away!! Take him to the re-education room!!

brad cook
  20. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Do what you gotta do... But I think cutting your computer off will drastically change your life... Cutting back will help... But don't starve yourself from this place... it ain't right Joe.. it just ain't right..

I just cut down on my time spent on here.. instead of 4 hours... i cut it to like... 3 1/2 or something small like that... and No one even noticed ;)