My new Carvin Icon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Mar 13, 2006.

1. My Carvin Icon 4 string arrived last Thursday, a week ahead of schedule!:hyper: Mine is one of the first ones ordered and probably the first in Canada. The specs are: alder body, flame maple top, clear gloss finish, 5 piece maple walnut neck (with ebony fingerboard), chrome hardware, and the new soap bar pickups and electronics. As well as the body shape, another new feature is the Hipshot A-style bridge. Price was 1300 US$, which includes shipping to Canada and a case. Here are a few shots:

The front

The back

The headstock

It’s beautifully made! I can’t find any construction flaws at all. The gloss finish feels smooth and glassy and brings out the figuring of the flame maple. A tung oil finish is available if you want it and some prefer the faster feel, but I have no problem with the gloss on the back of the neck. It’s light and well balanced on a strap. It also balances well on my knee, although the shorter lower horn makes it feel a bit like it’s going to slip off. The neck plays very nicely and notes sustain well. Nice fretwork. The strings are the Carvin nickel round wounds. They feel a bit stiffer than I like. I’m going to fiddle with the setup/strings to get a spongier feel.

Now for the sound: The new electronics are fantastic! As we all know, some folks don’t care for Carvin’s electronics. I think Carvin has successfully addressed this issue with the soap bar pickups and mid sweep. The Icon has a clear, piano string type of ring and there’s quite a bit of versatility with the mid sweep, bass and treble controls. So far I’ve been able to dial in some nice beefy, ballsy and growly sounds. Nothing weak or thin sounding here. It sounds great plucked and slapped. I especially like hitting that open E string; it has a solid, satisfying tone. I have a 5 string Carvin kit bass with the older electronics, which sound good, but I think the Icon definitely has the sonic advantage. No pickup swap needed on this axe.

My only reservation is whether I should have ordered it with a sunburst or umber finish, but I’d probably have those second thoughts no matter what finish I chose.
  2. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
  3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  6. Thta's nice!! I agree, I think Umber would look great too!!
  7. Yeah, the new design is pretty nice. Good to see one "in the flesh".
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Congrats! I really dig the new design. When's her first gig?
  9. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Man, Carvin's finally hit a really sweet headstock with these... that's one heck of a score! Congrats!
  10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That is a very attractive bass! :)
  11. Thanks! I don't gig much but there's a jam session coming up in a couple of weeks. I think she'll work fine in a group setting.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it !
  13. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    very nice. i played one awhile ago in hollywood and it was excellent. i am on the market for another bass. hmmmm...:meh: :cool:
  14. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
  15. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL

nice bass! congrats!
  16. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Hm. Pretty nice. I hope and am sure that she will give you years of good service. Congratulations.
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Very cool! I definitely dig the new Carvin design.
  18. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Congrats on your new instrument. I really dig the new headstock shape. I recently purchased a new Yamaha TRB1006. If I had a few hundred dollars more, I may have gone for a 6-string version of the Carvin Icon. Now go practice :bassist:

19. wow nice man.
    finally a carvin i not only like, but love. at least as far as looks
  20. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Any chance of getting some recordings made? I'm eager to hear what the new electronics sound like.