1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My USPS Shipment hasn't moved since Jan. 4th

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spupilup, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Sit tight and wait.

63.7%
  2. Buy another set from a different vendor and see which one gets here first.

9.9%
  3. Give it a few more days.

16.5%
  4. Carots.

9.9%
  1. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I bought a set of monitors from a local online vendor. I've had them in my possession for over a week. That vendor didn't have the XLR's I wanted in stock when I bought the monitors so I turned to another online vendor noted for satisfying a musician's sweet tooth. I purchased the cables and they were shipped on the 4th by USPS First Class Mail.

I sell a lot of automobile parts online and while I am aware of the delays experienced by all the major shippers, I can't really say I've had a particularly difficult time with any of them. Just about everything I shipped to my customers since the first of the year has arrived, safely. That includes UPS, FedEx and USPS packages.

I contacted the online vendor I bought the cables from asking if they had an updated timeframe based on delays. They just said sit and wait or, if you really need the cables, call and we'll see what we can do. Meanwhile, the online vendor that I originally purchased the monitors from has the XLR's back in stock.

So, do I sit and wait for the original set of cables to wend their way through the USPS system or do I buy another set from the online store I bought the monitors from. They didn't seem to have any issues getting my parts to me in a timely fashion by USPS, UPS or Fedex. BTW I'm not blaming anyone. I know there are a multitude of reasons for the delay. I just want to hear what you would do.
    Thanks!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you buy it again in the hopes it’ll get to you sooner you’re gonna have to deal with returning something. So it’s either the hassle of that, or waiting.

3. I think the original shipment will arrive eventually, the USPS is apparently overwhelmed by higher than normal volume and personnel shortages. I ordered some tubes in November, they were mailed from Memphis on Nov 27, and they were delivered in central Illinois on December 27. No tracking after they were mailed.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

try making some phone calls
    Yesterday I got an update from FedEx that an item had arrived at the FedEx OnSite 30 miles North.

I thought it was just a fudge-up, because I'd specified it be dropped at the OnSite about 3 miles East.

Cut to 24 hours later & I'm wondering why there was no update (& it still read NOT ready for pickup), so I started making calls. Turns out it had been at the OnSite location I specified all along, & the irony is they were the last place I called.

5. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    According to the popular social medias:
    "USPS tracking be like:
    1/4/21: Accepted at USPS facility.
    1/5/21: Package doesn't exist.
    1/20/21: Delivered."

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Shippers will tell you something has been "shipped" when they get a tracking number - they give USPS data about what theyare going to ship - they don't have to actually give the package to the delivery company to do that - sometimes it's quite a while between when they get you a tracking number and when USPS actually gets the package.

gebass6, red_rhino, Shizzean and 2 others like this.
  7. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I do a lot of shipping and I know how that sort of thing works. In this instance the label was generated on the 2nd and I was notified of that. The tracking number was active upon the package being picked up at the vendor (the first USPS scan) on the 4th. It was scanned again later in the evening on the 4th as leaving the USPS facility in the vendors city. Four days later, the day the package was originally supposed to arrive, USPS posted a notice in tracking (no scan of the package was performed) simply stating the shipment was on its way but would be late. That was the last time anything was updated.

8. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    Have you ever seen Terry Gilliams film “Brazil?” Calling the post office is like trying to get someone on the phone in that movie.

I have the direct office number for the FedEx Ground facility in my area. When one of my shipments seems to fall off the earth I call that number. A human being picks up and, more often than not I get a pretty good idea of the reason for whatever delay I might be experiencing.

You just can’t do that with the USPS. You can send an email but I not much will come of it if the shipment isn’t REALLY late. I used to have a phone number (Pre COVID) where, if I had an hour to kill, I could eventually speak with a human.

My experience with USPS as a shipper, especially internationally, has been very positive. It’s only been in the last couple of months that I’ve had any delays. I completely understand why these delays are happening and I’m not complaining about USPS.

The real point of this exercise was to see whether or not people would simply order the cables from another vendor and then refuse whichever shipment arrived last.

fclefgeoff likes this.
  9. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Do you mind having extra cables? I'm always happy with extra cables? Buy the set off the first guy. When your other shipment does show up, you'll have spares. If not, you could always pay to ship them back...

bpc likes this.
  10. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I had something that was supposed to be delivered December 21st, delivered December 30th, after not moving from New Jersey the entire time.

I sent something in an envelope December before the 15th, and it just arrived today.

I was told by a local post master after a package was delivered to the other side of town, “We don’t actually guarantee delivery”

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Did it go from Indiana through Champaign or Chicago, IL? We did a lot of USPS shipping, priority mail. Those two distribution centers have awful delays. Priority flat rate envelope scanned through local PO Dec 7, scanned Dec 13 arrived in Champaign (40 miles away), no further scans until Dec 21 in Maryland, next scan was 5osay (Jan 14). Three day PMFRE still not delivered over six weeks later. Same kind of FR envelope using Internal Priority was delivered in ten days.

12. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    or "label created"................nothing for a month............delivered

Plectrum72 and Rabidhamster like this.
  13. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Post office is a mess. Amazon has cables buy it there if you need fast.

Staccato likes this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    You could go to a m-m-m-music store.

Or you could go see a band locally and point at the drums and scream and when the band all turns around you could take their cables.

15. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I shipped an eBay package Priority Mail 12/13/2020 from NYC TO DENVER. It just arrived yesterday 1/13/2021 after I refunded buyer.
    Residual holiday overload.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I have had a really bad time with USPS this year. Shipments have been stuck for weeks for no reason at all. The story from my local post office worker was that if USPS couldn't clear it out with that day's mail, it gets thrown into a pile that they slowly work off. I sold a bunch of non-musical stuff on eBay right around the holidays and three out of about 15 shipments got hung up in the mail. They eventually got there, but it took a while for them to get dislodged. The good news is that it almost certainly will get where it's supposed to go--it might just take a while for it to get moving again.

17. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    BTW, for anyone using eBay: One of my buyers filed a return request due to the item not getting delivered, and I spoke to an eBay support person who gave me the following strategy: First, if USPS is the delay, do NOT refund the buyer if they say they didn't get the item. If you do give back the buyer's money, none of the following works.

The strategy is to buy yourself enough time to let USPS work through their issues. So, you politely inform them of the USPS situation, tell them you're willing to file a lost mail search, but DON'T them their money back. EBay has a policy now where they won't hurt your seller rating due to USPS delays, so you're protected that way. So the buyer can ask EBay to step in; eBay will lock the funds, and then you as the seller have 30 days to appeal their decision. At that point you wait, with the likelihood being that USPS will deliver the mail in that time. Assuming that happens, at that point you appeal EBay's decision, show them the tracking # got delivered, and they will free up your funds. My buyer didn't get to the point of asking eBay to step in--the item got delivered and eBay automatically undid the return request without any intervention.

18. Preach it brother. I have an item been in indy usps since dec 11.

19. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Join the crowd. I called the USPS and was told that due to covid, Priority shipping is 20-25 days. The only things that seem to move through the USPS currently are regular mail or some small packages.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  20. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Something I ordered on Reverb was shipped at the end of December, then went into the USPS abyss on January 1. No updates at all to the tracking until a few days ago, then it was delivered yesterday. You probably have to just wait.

Anyone who ships using USPS right now is just asking for trouble IMO.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021