NAD: Genzler Magellan 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I've been rocking a darkglass M900 the last year and a half or so, and I love everything about that amp. It sounds incredible both clean and dirty. More than enough power for any situation I've ever been in. But I have the same curse as the rest of us, always longing for more gear...

I purchased a Genzler mg212 about 6 months ago or so to replace my mesa powerhouse 212, and WOW what a difference in tone. The mesa sounded harsh and thing to my ears. The Genzler 212 checked every thing on my list for what I wanted in a cab. Big, fat, warm tone. But easy to haul around. A few months later I bought a 112 for home and small practice use. It's just as impressive as the 212!

So here I am, deciding to take my darkglass head into a local store that carries Genzler amps. I put the two heads side by side through a Genzler 210-3 array cab .everything set flat, there's minimal difference in clean tone .the Genzler was maybe a hair warmer sounding. Then I started playing with the countour control on the Genzler. WOW. That control changes everything about the warm. The blue "modern" channel, cranked all the way, gave me the fattest scooped modern tome I've ever heard. You could feel it in your guts. I then flipped it to the orange channel, and a nice vintage chest thumping tone was present. Turning on the gain about halfway on the dirt channel, I had a great classic rock SVT type tone going on. And the price tag, only $780!? This thing sounded great.

For my band situation, the fatter warmer sound of the Genzler was just what I needed. I love the Darkglass sound, but it was just a bit too hi-fi sounding for what I need. With that being said, I still think the Darkglass overdrive/distortion is the best sound out there, so I will be getting a pedal for when I need that tone.

It was sold. If anyone wants a nice darkglass m900, check my signature below ;)

20180314_181152.jpg

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Congrats! I just got my Magellan 800 delivered yesterday. Hooked it up today and experimented for about 15 minutes. So far, so good. In that short time, I've noticed that it really does have a lot of tonal options. Looking forward to trying it with various basses, settings, etc.!

Lammchop93 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I am interested to hear your guys gig reports....
    I have an MG800 ,but my go to is always my Subway D-800

But LOVE the MG powering my Demeter VTBP201

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    At band reheasreh, my mg800 and the mg112t cab keep up with a full sized rock band just fine. Sounds fantastic, and it's plenty loud .I couldn't be more happy!

S-Bigbottom and Wicked G like this.
  5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I was debating between the Magellan 800 and the Subway D800. Couldn't find anything but positives for both of them. I finally made my decision by finding a better deal on the Magellan.

Got to spend about an hour with the Magellan before dinner tonight playing along with some CD's. I was trying the various combinations between the Clean, Drive, and Contour controls. They all sound great, and very versatile. I'm sure the Mesa is great as well; but I sure don't have any regrets about snagging this Magellan!

S-Bigbottom, Lammchop93 and Wicked G like this.
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've just been playing my Magellan 800 at home through two Aguilar 112's. Sounds great. But I also keep an amp & cabinet at one of our band member's home where we practice. I've had a Gallien-Krueger MB500 over there on top of a Genz-Benz Uber 410 cab.

A couple weeks ago, I swapped out the heads. I took the Genzler over there to pair up with the Uber 410, and brought the G-K MB500 home to pair with the two Aggies. Both rigs sound killer.

The guy whose house we practice at is very versatile. He sings, plays guitar, bass, and drums. With us he usually either drums, or plays rhythm guitar if singing. He also plays bass in his church's praise band. The praise band was practicing at his house yesterday. He called me afterward and was saying that he was using my bass and rig while practicing with them. He was raving about the gear. He said, "Y'know, I don't always pay attention to everybody else's part because I'm concentrating on my own, or the guitars are screeching loudly. But MAN, that amp & cab sound awesome! That's the best-sounding bass amp I've ever heard!"

He wasn't familiar with the Genzler stuff. I told him how Jeff formerly owned Genz-Benz (also great gear), but now has the Genzler line. Definitely created a new Genzler fan!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022