1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChiliPepper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    this.

2. man, ripe for photoshopping.

wallacehoward.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh so I must be mistaken. That wasn't a Win for the Celtics and a Loss for the Magic. My bad. I clearly didn't see the 'Win' with the tiny little asterik that high-fived the loser for almost not losing. :eyebrow:

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Right. Only Phil Jackson is allowed to dispense asterisks to winning NBA teams.

5. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    When you're the coach of the current NBA champions you're afforded that luxury. Yeah it's a double standard. Don't like it? Then win the championships. :D

6. You must have confused me with a Vikings fan...:spit:...

...I never said such a thing, nor did I imply it.

And I don't see you stepping up to the bet I've offered yet either, big talker.

:smug:

7. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    don't forget the 10 rings... :cool:

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    San Antonio did...after which Jackson dispensed his famous asterisk comment.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    You mean the old Rick Mahorn tactic of backing out of the way of a posting player and watching him fall?:D

Rasheed always gives players like Howard trouble because he's so long he can bother their shots even when he gets out of position. Plus Howard doesn't like to go outside and cover the three on D. The Pistons when they had Sheed eliminated the Magic four years in a row and one of the biggest reasons was Sheed gave Howard about the most trouble of any Eastern conference match up. Sheed isn't as quick now and he can't do it for a whole game, but he can give Orlando a lot of trouble as a backup and like Horry, he's hit some big playoff shots in his life.

10. dWilshireCourt

dWilshireCourt

Jan 25, 2008
    P-H-X.

11. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Mighty quiet in here. :D

12. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    sorry. a lot of us are already celebrating a championship... :bassist:

13. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Lmao. :D

14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I don't really keep up with 1990-2006 basketball. Bird retired in 94 but wasn't doin too hot then. If they did, I still don't know about it. I was born in 96 and didn't get into basketball until like 07-08...

:( My guys always have to get the bad shots.

15. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Ooh, you're so close...!

Hint: Who played in the 2008 NBA Finals?

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The Mahorn comparison is apt, because they're both dirty. Don't try to tell me both those guys didn't help pull posting players down as they were "backing out of the way", then holding their hands up to make it look like they didn't do anything.;) Similarly, Sheed was instigating those tangle-ups with Howard, looking to get him T'd up. As I said, Howard needs to be more mature and not let guys like that get under his skin.

I've always disliked Sheed, no matter what team he's on. He's got plenty of talent, in fact he's squandered some of it. If he actually tried all the time and wasn't a complete idiot with the refs, he could've been a ten-time All-Star.

17. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have mixed feelings about Sheed, there is no doubt that he is one of the most naturally skilled big men to ever play the game. I saw a video of him shooting three pointers with two basketballs at the same time and hitting them repeatedly.

Minuses:
    The refs hate him, some of it is deserved but the fact is he gets calls against him that no one else in the league gets. There is a different set of rules for him.
    He doesn't want the ball enough in the post.
    He can have brain farts at the wrong time, leaving Horry on the inbounds pass in game 5 against San Antonio in the finals comes to mind.
    He will melt down if things aren't going well, but by that point it's usually immaterial.
    HE just plain won't try in a losing situation.
    He doesn't love the game, and has let himself get out of shape much like Shaq.

Pluses:
    He's a good teammate, unlike most star players he realizes the game doesn't revolve around him and gets others on the team involved when he could be screaming for the ball.
    He is a good communicator on the floor, especially on defense.
    He is not afraid to take a clutch shot and has hit more then a few.
    He is a very underrated post defender and works on both sides of the floor.
    He is one of the few big men that plays the pick and roll well defensively.
    He is willing to play thru pain for a winner as demonstrated in the Pistons title run.
    He's a great number two option.

All in all in his prime (which was actually at Portland and his first two years in Detroit) their were very few big men in the league I would have taken over him besides Tim Duncan. He was more physical then Garnett, more skilled then Shaq (on both ends of the floor) and a far better clutch player then Dirk Noshowupski. He's older now and certainly more limited (his lack of staying in shape has contributed to this), but he is an ideal back up, and he can still do a lot of damage in twenty minutes. And yes he is at times a dirty player, but no dirtier then Robert Parish, Bill "elbows" Cartwright, Robert Horry, and Karl Malone among others. Good power forwards tend to be a bit dirty, its part of what banging for a rebound is all about.

18. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    No internet access & no tv on the train means I'm going to be in the dark on game two in Celtics/Magic.

On the other side of the country, I'd love to see the Suns crush the Lakers. Not only due to my geography (and subsequent Lakers allergy), but because Charles Barkley was one of my favorite players when I was a little kid, and so the Suns have always been my team.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Lakers sweep the Suns.

-Mike

20. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It wouldn't surprise me. The Suns are the fourth best team still playing.

Question, When are GM's in the league going to realize that the Suns-Mavs-Golden State don't bother to play defense model doesn't win championships? And when are they going to realize that no matter how good an offensive player is, if he can't guard anyone he's a liability in the playoffs when match ups matter? Their systems are built to win in the regular season and lose when it counts.