NBD: 1968 Rickenbacker 4005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D Bopp, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm typically not a fan of hollowbodies, but that could change my mind! Beautiful!

2. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Actually, as far as I know... they can't. California has some pretty serious emissions laws, and from what I hear they can't actually use any more of the machines that they use to spray their finishes. They would have to change the way they spray their finishes in order to expand, and as far as I know they aren't going to change the formula they're been using for so many years.

this is the same reason why the leadtime for a new ric is so long- they have a monopoly on the rickenbacker market- who knew?!

3. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Wow, Daniel...you score the coolest stuff.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    quite a good looking bass. i bet that thing has some serious thumpy tones in it. all the times i've looked at these, i never really noticed how extreme the pickups placement was.

5. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I'm curious about what you paid for that thing

6. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Oh wow, thanks for the info. I can see their motivation for not increasing output, but you figure they could create a separate factory in another state, keep up with orders, and begin to offer more models or even colors. We've seen fender and Gibson making big bucks off of releasing vintage models in many different formats, there is No reason rick can't. I'm getting off topic though, this is a great bass!

7. Just have to figure out how

8. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    This was my dream bass for many years and I still think one of the most beautiful designs ever. I came within minutes of getting to play one at a NAMM show, but never have heard one. Would LOVE to hear sound files if possible.

9. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Thanks guys. I'll see if I can at least make a Youtube clip some time tomorrow.

10. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    One of the coolest looking basses of all time...congrats!

11. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    That is a fine bass you got there. Love me them 4005s!

12. Cotton888

Cotton888

Aug 11, 2013
    Dang I've never seen one of those in the wild, I've only read about 4005's in dusty old tomes. That's one sweet bass you've got there, I thought I was big pimping buying a brand new 4003, but you sir took it to "a whole nother level".

13. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn!

Aug 24, 2009
    Northern CA,USA
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

...I really,really hate you,D Bopp *eyes tearing up,nose running*

JUST KIDDING(of course!!) DUDE! That is my Holy Grail of all Bassdom! It`s even cooler than those Ric 4001/4003s(zat possible?)-IMHO. I think eBay has a 1967 lightly used,fireglo listed for c. $12K(or is it 24K?).

Looks like an old school Ric guitar--all horns `n stuff--:bassist: *fail buzzer* WRONG!

How/where did you snag that princess?? Not asking how much you paid(but worth it,IMHO)--as that is impolite. Found this thread late,but I`ll check out any youtube vids you upload.

Congrats again!!(lucky stiff~! lol)
    HosMan

14. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

+1,000,000

That's one of those "if I win the lottery" basses for me. It would be an indescribable windfall for Rickenbacker if they would would make those for even one year, or even a short run (300, 1,000, etc.).

I'll keep my fingers crossed and congrats (months later...).

15. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    as they say in soccer(football) GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice score thats a beauty

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021