1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! 1982 Fullerton AVRI '62 Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neilshane, Sep 15, 2020.

1. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    I just purchased a 1982 Fender Fullerton American Vintage Reissue '62 Precision bass for $1300!! Deal of the year! I'm so excited!

The backstory: About 20 years ago I was in Borders bookstore (remember those?) buying a bass book and Bass Player magazine. The clerk asked if I played bass and said "I have an old bass in my basement I'm looking to sell." Without hesitation, I said I'd buy it, not even knowing what it was. Turns out, he had a 1982 Fullerton AVRI '57 Precision and told me he wanted $200. I cut him a check (!!!) and off I went!

It was an amazing bass, to say the least. A few years ago, I traded it, along with a few other items, for a Gibson Custom Shop VOS '59 ES-175, my dream guitar. But I've always missed that Fullerton bass.

I keep my eyes out for another '82 constantly, but they are so expensive now.

Fast forward to the other week. I was scrolling Reverb and saw this ancient looking Olympic White bass listed as "Fender Precision Bass 1998 white." I scrolled through the pics and noticed the V00XXXX serial number and nearly fell out of my chair. The asking price was $1300 plus shipping! I saw the original case, the router hump, the curve of rosewood where it meets the headstock, and was convinced this was indeed a 1982 Fullerton, not a 1998.

I hit "By it Now" immediately!

Turns out, the bass was on consignment apparently from the original owner, who supposedly bought it new at Norman's Rare Guitars in LA.

It's 100 percent original, with pots dated to July of 1982. Original case still had the plastic cover over the Fender logo. I cleaned it, strung it with flats and wow! It has all that tone I distinctly remember from my 1982 AVRI '57.

I cannot believe it was mislabled and I was able to score it so cheap! The prices on this early Fullerton reissues have skyrocketed in recent years. Here are some pics.

IMG_9075.jpg IMG_9076.jpg IMG_9079.JPG IMG_9071.JPG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Randall, qwench, bobba66 and 62 others like this.
  2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Wow what a good catch and it looks amazing. Congrats :thumbsup:

12BitSlab and neilshane like this.
  3. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    That's in incredible condition. Congrats on such a great score. :thumbsup:

neilshane likes this.
  4. PBassPaul

PBassPaul

Aug 28, 2020
    Beautiful! Congrats.

neilshane likes this.
  5. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    Thank you!

sneha1965 likes this.
  6. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    :)

7. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    Nice! I just saw that one listed the other day. Glad it found a good home.

neilshane likes this.
  8. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    Same here! lol

PWRL likes this.
  9. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    It's the spittin' image of my 89, too.

neilshane likes this.
  10. Bridge cover?

11. got_the_bug

got_the_bug Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    Nice score...there’s an ‘88 AVRI on my local Craigslist for $2700!

neilshane likes this.
  12. The AVRI's (along with the Japanese Squier vintage re-issues from the same time period) were the first step in Fender's re-birth under the new owners following the buy-out of CBS ownership. They REALLY sweated getting them 'right' to the nth degree, and it showed. The new owners bought a company left to gone to seed over the years, and the managers had come from Yamaha and the way Yamaha engineered and built guitars, and they were dumbstruck at how feeble and badly the company was being run, essentially they were still making guitars 'by eyeball' as Leo had originally set up the plant, and the Fullerton plant was excluded from the deal to boot !

They were landmark axes and set the stage for Fender as we know it now.

13. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker Supporting Member

You snagged what may be one of the best P basses ever built! I have one made in 1983 that I am considering selling but it will be priced more than what you got yours for. You got as great deal! Congratulations!

neilshane likes this.
  14. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    The Fullerton reissues are different from any other AVRI - these instruments were built the the original Leo Fender shop using the original jigs and tools - these are considered “proto” custom shop instruments as the people who were involved in the line went on to form the custom shop

15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Nice, congrats! A vintage vintage reissue. Looks like a nice axe. Amazing in the age of Google to see that kind of mislabeling, but it's fair game to pay what somebody is asking, even if they haven't done their homework.

neilshane likes this.
  16. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Killer deal, killer bass!!

neilshane likes this.
  17. TJIann

TJIann Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Maryland
    Awesome!! Congrats on that score. :bassist:

neilshane likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That is absolutely gorgeous.
    I can't say I recognize that brand or have any idea what kind of pick guard pattern that is. But I think I want one, whatever it is. Really sweet. What did you call it? Congrats!

19. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    I had an ‘83 just like that one.

20. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Nice score on an Olympic White one no less! I had a similar score a few weeks ago on a 1969 4001 which was my dream bass. I couldn't hit the buy button any faster. :)

fakeneckplate'65 and neilshane like this.