1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Blood Bros Custom 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hobobob, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I commissioned this bass about 5 months ago, and it came in yesterday. The general idea behind it was to take the aesthetics of a Precision bass, and meld modern features with it.
    image. image. image. image.

One piece swamp ash body with a Traslucent White Blonde finish and tort pickguard. 3pc Maple neck with dark Wenge stringers, and a beautifully grained Wenge board. Two Nordstrand Big Splits with a Bartolini 3-band pre with push-pull active/passive. All black Hipshot hardware.

Here's the pic I took after unboxing it and taking all the packing material out.
    image.

Tone, feel, and playability are phenomenal. The builder, Brian (SaintMez here on TB), not only created the bass that I'd envisioned, but surpassed my expectations in almost every conceivable way. His expertise was invaluable during the planning stages of the build, and he took my rough idea and turned it into an expertly crafted instrument.

I've played dozens of high end, boutique, and custom basses (some costing two or three times as much), and I would put this bass up against any of them.

Tonal versatility was a primary goal for this build, and the bass delivers. Passive with the blend rolled all the way to the neck pup is bang-on P bass. With the blend in the center, you can get a tight, modern dual-soapbar tone with the preamp engaged, or you can add some warmth to the mids in passive. Rolled 75% towards the bridge with a bump to the low mids gets you very close to a Stingray, and passive with the blend a little bit towards the neck will do a great Geddy Lee impersonation.

The neck is awesome - very thin (maybe only a tiny bit thicker front-to-back than my Ibanez), but with a fairly pronounced C-shape that fits the hand very comfortably. Even though the string spacing and neck dimensions are a bit bigger than my Ibanez, fast runs and complex shapes are practically effortless to play.

I'm going to try and figure out how to upload some clips, so stay tuned!

About • Blood Brothers Custom Guitars

2. Very nice! I'm always a fan of vintage meets modern.

Hobobob likes this.
  3. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Thanks, me too! I have a bit of a split personality when it comes to basses, so having one that finally checks all the boxes for me is really cool.

4. I'm becoming that way as well. I was initially all about everything being modern in tone and ergonomics. Blending the two is really fun. My newest bass is headless 6 string with flats and a P pickup. Technically it's a P bass with flats. ;)

Hobobob likes this.
  5. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    But does it have a tort guard?
    I hear ya, my original 'Dream Bass' was a Wyn 6. I would still love to have one, but I'm definitely appreciating more classic, non-hippy-sandwich type basses a lot more than I used to.

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    That looks great! What is the weight on it?

Does the neck have any reinforcements in it, like graphite rods?

Hobobob likes this.
  7. Nah, the pickups and flats are the only thing traditional about mine.

Hobobob likes this.
  8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    [​IMG]

Amazing bass!!!

mpdd and Hobobob like this.
  9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    What is the string spacing at the bridge?

Hobobob likes this.
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass? Congrats! Probably good for metal.

Hobobob and pacojas like this.
  11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    looks fantastic! would love to hear you play it.

Hobobob likes this.
  12. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    It's not quite as light as my teeny little Ibanez, but it is very manageable. One piece Swamp Ash body really helps with that.
    I don't think it has any reinforcement, just the three piece maple with stringers neck.
    Amazing GIF! Gonna have to save that one.
    18mm, which is the tightest spacing that the Big Splits can accommodate.
    Probably would be better for metal in black, but it gets the job done;)
    I'll try to record some stuff on the recording app on my phone tonight, then I'll try to figure out how to record and upload something of better quality.

pacojas likes this.
  13. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Goodness me.....

Hobobob likes this.
  14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very cool, congrats!

Hobobob likes this.
  15. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Blood Brothers Guitars - Luthier, Porter Guitars - Contractor
    Nice to see you all like it!
    The neck does have two carbon fiber rods for added strength.
    Looking forward to seeing clips of you playing Hobobob!

Hobobob likes this.
  16. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Alright, here are some quick and dirty sound clips. These were recorded with a 4-track recorder app on my phone, bass plugged into the effects return of my head (no preamp), into my Xsonics TF1155 cab (no tweet, mid driver level between 1 and 2 o'clock).

Neck pup only, passive:

Blend in the middle, active:

Blend halfway between middle and bridge pup, boost to lo-mids:

Blend halfway between middle and neck pup, passive:

Blend halfway between middle and neck pup, passive, through Uber Bee overdrive:

pacojas likes this.
  17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That bass sounds very good!

pacojas and Hobobob like this.
  18. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I think so too!

19. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yeah those fresh roundwound strings are very bright but I can hear those slightly compressed mids of the wenge fingerboard and that huge/warm low end of the ash body! IMO your bass will cut through the mix excellently!!

pacojas and Hobobob like this.
  20. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    After my gig last night, I agree! with the same rig and settings that I used with my Ibanez, the tone was much more balanced and clear, and had a deeper bottom.

I actually spent most of the gig on the neck pickup in passive, so basically copping a P bass. Playing Josie with this bass was just awesome.

And I had quite a few people ask about it and complement it. I really couldn't be happier.

pacojas likes this.