1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Fail

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpanishDave, Mar 9, 2018.

1. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    DC1664A1-5FAC-43EB-AC39-5EB94FF7FB9B.jpeg 5B678868-0959-4902-B088-E0269438D087.jpeg 90A55A99-C2DB-419C-BC77-E926C37AC5C8.jpeg well, I had been following a Bass on sale on Spanish ebay. The Bass was being sold by Cashconvertors, a big chain on secondhand/loan/credits store. The Bass in question was a Warwick Rockbass Streamer. The old 2 pickup version with the one piece bridge. Listed for ages at 189€, then dropped to 164€ for two weeks then last weekend dropped to 130€. At 130€ I bit the bullet. The Bass was advertised with a bang on the back of the body. When it arrived, the chip/dent is a bit worse than it looked in the pics but not a big problem because the bass looked really great. Loved the wood and the colour. Now the bad, I think the neck is dead. Truss rod seems to work but the top half of the neck is still pointing skyward. Then, there are cracks splitting out from the neck joint. Can’t see if it’s only in the laquer or into the body. Took it to rehearsals just to see if the Bass works. Well it did work, both pick ups and the tone all ok but really low output. Compared it with my yamaha bb414 and my fretless. All passive basses, but the Rockbass wasn’t putting out half the volume. So, wanted the Bass, got the Bass, gonna have the return the Bass.

Clark Dark and Bassbeater like this.
  2. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    That is a bummer. That action is way high.. Sorry to hear this but if you can return it , do it.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. While the action is high, I hope you don't measure from the fretboard to the strings when you finally get around to setting it up.

Matthew_84 and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If the strings are equally that far away from the pick ups, that probably explains the volume issues.

5. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Good call, maybe if I can get the neck in order, strings down, that’ll help sort that.

6. Triad

Triad Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    When you adjust the truss rod, GENTLY bend the neck with your hand so the truss rod only has to keep the neck in that position, not actually move it.
    This will make the adjustment faster and of course will put less strain on the rod. In this way you could probably tighten it 1 round at a time. But to be honest, the relief seems to be out of this world for a functional neck.

7. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    That's a wall-clock with missing parts.

8. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Are both sides of the neck pocket cracked? If you remove the neck does it look like the cracks are deeper than just the finish? It's probably only finish, it's pretty hard to crack wood across the grain like that.

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    Make sure the bridge saddles are down low also.

10. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Saddles are low and the intonation is almost dead on even given the banana neck.

Yup, the neck pocket has splits leading out frim each side. I haven’t taken the neck off to inspect the cracks further but if it’s just the finish I’m much more inclined to keep the Bass if the neck can be tamed.
    I have a gig tomorrow and our SoundGuy does set ups so I’ll get his advice.

If it can be made playable I’d love to keep it. I shall keep you posted and upload more pics over the weekend!

11. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Neck pocket finish cracks are common. Adjust the truss rod gradually and you MAY be ok.

Aqualung60 and SpanishDave like this.
  12. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Good luck, hope it is salvageable.

SpanishDave likes this.
  13. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
  14. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    My best guess is that it's only the finish that has cracked. Try adjusting the truss rod carefully. The bass can be good. If you fancy Warwick I mean. ;-)

saabfender likes this.
  15. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Was the case included in the price? Seems like a good deal if you get the neck sorted out.

16. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Nice to hear an agreement to the way I do things. Confirmation bias is awesome!

Yeah, it does look like a lot. I’ve straightened out some really dire-looking necks over years on much lesser instruments. Bet you can perform some chiropractic on it and get it straight.

I wouldn’t be bothered by the cracks in the finish.

SpanishDave likes this.
  17. I would seriously loosen the strings before even trying to adjust that.
    Maybe try something like a quarter turn every 6 hours.
    Don't try one big, massive adjustment all at once.
    IF it goes back, perhaps some low tension strings will be in order.

Good luck.
    It looks like it could be a keeper.

NathOBX, Fender_Bender and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    I'd say those cracks are just the finish, it's very hard to crack wood across the grain like that, especially with how tight the grain is right there.
    I know some warwick truss rods are replaceable, might not be with the rock basses though.
    Good luck, very nice but if you can get the neck straight. A new neck wouldn't be much $ either if it comes to it. Pawn shop may refund you partially then you could buy a new neck.

SpanishDave likes this.
  19. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    what does the neck look like if you loosen all the strings? (still have relief, or straightens/ goes into back- bow)

gebass6 likes this.
  20. Bummer man, hopefully you can make it right somehow with the seller.