NBD - Fender Dimension V HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, Nov 3, 2016.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    After a few very long days, it arrived. I was uncertain about this bass because reviews are very polarized, but I knew I wanted a Fender. I know I absolutely love my J from the same series-- the neck on the Elites are the smoothest playing necks to me. I thought the Cayenne was gorgeous. Also, after playing a few EBMM, I was curious about the double bucks. So, I took the plunge.

The look did not disappoint. The variety of tones that I have coaxed out of it in the few hours I have played are also varied and wonderful. Sustain... for days! The B is wicked good too. At practice last night, I think our lead guitarist was a little thrown by how well it cut through the mix. The bass goes from very bright modern tones to wonderfully thumpy country and roots vibes.

I know many Fender purists really want the J or P look and I had a few reservations about that too-- no more. Looks really cool and I like the lines. It balanced well on the strap last night. It is heavy, like the J, and that is what I wanted. I have played Ibanez, that were much lighter, but they had little tone and less sustain by comparison. This one is very resonant just acoustically. It is still early, but I am definitely smitten. I somehow doubt it will pull ahead of my J as my number 1, but I am pretty sure it will come along side and get equal time. If you are leaning, go ahead and take the plunge, I believe you will be happy you did.

IMG_0970.JPG fullsizeoutput_228.jpeg IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG fullsizeoutput_229.jpeg

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Phew, that is killer. Nice snag.

BassJuju likes this.
  3. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks... I can hardly wait to get home and jam for a bit.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm really happy with the basses I have and can't justify another one. But a Dimension is on that short list I keep in my head of basses I wouldn't mind owning/trying if the day comes when I can justify the need/desire/cost. And my pick would be that exact bass - 5-string, an Elite, same pickup config, same color.

It's a beauty!

BassJuju likes this.
  5. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks... On the subject of trying, and yes I am venting a bit due to GC's policies. I am a little dismayed that they aren't stocked. Hard to sell if they aren't stocked where folks can pick one up and play it. I gather they didn't sell well for esthetic reasons, but the tone is very configurable and wonderful. I like my AE J better than anything I've ever played, it's why I decided to try this one, but my local GC always has one of the same model J hanging on the wall. Along with dozens of cheap to mid-priced options. I can say that I am pleased with their return policy and that let me "try" this one. Of course, once I played it, it was a done deal. I understand the "justify the cost" deal too. I wasn't really looking for a new bass until circumstances arose that required a change(more on that in another thread) and I wasn't going to get anything but a Fender. With the others I have, this one made the most sense. If you get where you want to pull the trigger, I think you'll like it.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Record a video please. These basses sound great.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022