1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Fender Dimension V HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, Nov 3, 2016.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    After a few very long days, it arrived. I was uncertain about this bass because reviews are very polarized, but I knew I wanted a Fender. I know I absolutely love my J from the same series-- the neck on the Elites are the smoothest playing necks to me. I thought the Cayenne was gorgeous. Also, after playing a few EBMM, I was curious about the double bucks. So, I took the plunge.

The look did not disappoint. The variety of tones that I have coaxed out of it in the few hours I have played are also varied and wonderful. Sustain... for days! The B is wicked good too. At practice last night, I think our lead guitarist was a little thrown by how well it cut through the mix. The bass goes from very bright modern tones to wonderfully thumpy country and roots vibes.

I know many Fender purists really want the J or P look and I had a few reservations about that too-- no more. Looks really cool and I like the lines. It balanced well on the strap last night. It is heavy, like the J, and that is what I wanted. I have played Ibanez, that were much lighter, but they had little tone and less sustain by comparison. This one is very resonant just acoustically. It is still early, but I am definitely smitten. I somehow doubt it will pull ahead of my J as my number 1, but I am pretty sure it will come along side and get equal time. If you are leaning, go ahead and take the plunge, I believe you will be happy you did.

IMG_0970.JPG fullsizeoutput_228. IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG fullsizeoutput_229.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Phew, that is killer. Nice snag.

BassJuju likes this.
  3. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Thanks... I can hardly wait to get home and jam for a bit.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm really happy with the basses I have and can't justify another one. But a Dimension is on that short list I keep in my head of basses I wouldn't mind owning/trying if the day comes when I can justify the need/desire/cost. And my pick would be that exact bass - 5-string, an Elite, same pickup config, same color.

It's a beauty!

BassJuju likes this.
  5. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Thanks... On the subject of trying, and yes I am venting a bit due to GC's policies. I am a little dismayed that they aren't stocked. Hard to sell if they aren't stocked where folks can pick one up and play it. I gather they didn't sell well for esthetic reasons, but the tone is very configurable and wonderful. I like my AE J better than anything I've ever played, it's why I decided to try this one, but my local GC always has one of the same model J hanging on the wall. Along with dozens of cheap to mid-priced options. I can say that I am pleased with their return policy and that let me "try" this one. Of course, once I played it, it was a done deal. I understand the "justify the cost" deal too. I wasn't really looking for a new bass until circumstances arose that required a change(more on that in another thread) and I wasn't going to get anything but a Fender. With the others I have, this one made the most sense. If you get where you want to pull the trigger, I think you'll like it.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Record a video please. These basses sound great.