1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fretless Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Moody, May 11, 2010.

1. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I ordered a CS Warwick in the beginning of February, knowing that it wouldn't get here until probably June. Got the email from the artist rep that it was in NY a week ago, and it arrived last night, in time for the start of a month-long theatre run. So, here she is:

Warwick $$ 6-string
    Swamp Ash
    Ovankol/Ebony lined fingerboard
    Hi-Polish white w/matching headstock

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The biggest surprise to me was how light it was. Compared to my Streamer LX, this thing weighs next to nothing. In fact, it's pretty close to my Corvette 5. Still getting used to the tones I can coax out of it (had about 10 minutes to fiddle with the sound before rehearsal last night), but it's really focused and tight, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Nice, congrats man, she's a beauty!

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Wow.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    That is suhweet. Wowzers.

5. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    I love that! Its a stunner

Iv just recently bought a warwick corvette rock bass 5 string! its the only bass so far iv played thats managed to get me off being hooked on my first bass!

There so easy and effortless to play, i can only imagine how much better this one is to mine considering the price tag and everything else!

Would love a $$ one day! Good on you :)

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    White... spector-ish yum!!

Lined... yuk

Yin-yang

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    pretty, can you post the headstock?

8. We're so proud of our little Warwick endorsee... :crying:

:D

Nice, I like the white w/ matching headstock! :cool:

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    VERY NICE!!!

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Looks great! Those basses look sweet in a non-wood finish

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Does this one have the aircraft carrier fretboard the fretted one does?

12. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    No sir, it's the standard string spacing they have. I inquired about it, but apparently the MM pickups aren't available in a broadneck version. It's okay though, the neck is pretty comfortable anyway, even if it does feel like a twig comparatively.

13. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Here's a pic I had taken last week. One of the more abstract ones, but it turned out pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

Got to play this thing straight for a three week run at the local theatre. It really sounded great, felt amazing, and tonally had plenty of options available to make sure I was cutting through.

14. A440Hz

A440Hz

May 31, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Digital Audio Developer, ScratchAudio.com
    Slightly OT [OK, completely OT]: Why is it that overexposed photos are so cool these days? I notice it everywhere. On this photo, it works, tho.

[Cf. Rodney Dangerfield joke in "Caddyshack": "Did you get that shirt free with a bowl of soup? Looks good on you though." *rolls eyes*]

Seriously, it's a cool photo. It's interesting how I'm getting used to what's technically "bad" (blown highlights/overexposure) but artistically good. Well, though if you consider that blown highlights in a photo are the visual equivalent of overdriven audio, I guess there's a good analogy to be made. Lots of folks love them some grit.

15. Amazing bass!

16. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I completely hear you. It's like auto-tune; one of those things that is cool in moderation and used in context, but when overused.

Speaking of "technically bad but artistically good," I always got a lot of grief from my composition teacher for using power chords in some of my pieces. He didn't see it as anything but beefing up some sections, and that was the point.

17. spambot772

spambot772

Aug 31, 2007
    there is no bad in art, different techniques are used for different pictures. its all about the end picture, the way you arrive at it isnt important.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What he said!

19. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Any soundclips?

20. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I'll see what I can do. I have a solo I'm doing at church on Sunday (with fretless, and a great percussionist) so I'll see if the soundguy can get me a decent FOH mix.