1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Hofner content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TemplesOfSyrinx, Oct 21, 2019.

1. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    New Jersey
    Well, I've been a Beatles fan since I was 8. Playing guitar since age 12. Playing bass since age 17. I cannot believe I never had one of these.

I was looking for a short scale bass to have around the house. I tried the Ibanez Mikro which was surprisingly good. But then I saw a special sale from my Sweetwater rep for the Hofner Ignition Violin Bass and I figured I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. They upgraded it to LaBella Beatle Bass flats and the teacup knobs. Under $300. I love it.
    Need to figure out the strap situation, but it's a great bass. 5 lbs exactly.
    IMG_20191021_163443.
    IMG_20191021_163443. IMG_20191021_163509. IMG_20191021_163530.

2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Congratulations they are a great little bass. I really love playing mine. Enjoy! yL6TLa0rQFOt22HY8goatQ.

3. TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    New Jersey
    Wow, that's 2 ends of the bass weight spectrum. Hofner=5lbs, the Steve Harris Precision Bass=10lbs probably!

Samatza likes this.
  4. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Well guys, how do you like the Hofner Violin? Do you play out with them much? Is the neck easy to get around on?

5. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    I play mine out from time to time. The neck is very easy to get around on being a short scale bass and the weight is probably as light as you can get.

Super nice sound with flatwounds and it stays nice and thick all the way up the neck. I bought mine to replace a Japanese made Jason Lyrebird I've had since about 1972, it still works fine but it's now relegated to studio duty only.

MrNylon likes this.
  6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i had one recently. i installed tea cups and white slide switches on it. it was a great little bass. i still have the club version and i love it.

2-Hofner Icons-01-2.

i still have the 4 on the right in this pic and intend on keeping all of them:

5-hofners-1000.

MrNylon likes this.
  7. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    C0CEBAF3-85EF-43BE-A855-F3E1537105BF. Got a V64 500/1 from a fellow TBer recently to use in a Beatles trib band. Needed a little work, fret dressing and leveling. I had a new set of TIs on it but just too floppy and intonation was a pain. Changed them out to an old set of Pyramids I had in my string drawer, intonation and feel much better now. Lots of fun to play and sounds killer. Still digging my HCT Club as well. Well made basses and a blast to play.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  8. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Got this Ed Sullivan Show special edition used a couple of years ago to play in my Beatle band. While I am sometimes challenged due to my big hands and the skinny neck, I love the way it sounds and feels with those LaBella Beatle Bass flats. I got the teacups too...

hofner.

rev.

MrNylon likes this.
  9. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Congrats on that beautiful Beatle Bass. If you would like to join The Violin Bass Club, please let me know. [​IMG]

Ghastly and TemplesOfSyrinx like this.
  10. TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    New Jersey
    Yes I would like to join. Thanks

MrNylon likes this.
  11. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Hey TemplesOfSyrinx! You're #33 in The Violin Bass Club! Welcome aboard! [​IMG]

TemplesOfSyrinx likes this.
  12. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    In the OP, Temples mentioned "the strap situation." I see that the strap button is on the back of the body rather than the horn (since this bass doesn't have a horn, I presume). Is it awkward putting a strap on like that?