1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD rare 1980 Clarke Spellbinder...pic heavy.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StereoPlayer, Apr 18, 2015.

1. New bass day!
    1st a description from google:
    CLARKE SPELLBINDER BASS I (c.1980)
    "extremely rare limited edition basses designed for and in cooperation with Stanley Clarke, of the initial run of ~50 basses (it appears no one knows with certainty how many instruments were actually made and released, somewhere between 25 and 50, the molds were then destroyed), black polyurethane enamel finish, original design neck-thru double cutaway body of high density foam and fiber encasing a tempered steel channel running the length of the instrument, two adjustable steel truss rods in the neck, ebony fingerboard with 24 frets and abalone dots in metal rings inlays, proprietary bridge/tailpiece and roller nut assemblies, dual humbucking "Bartolini" designed pickups, volume, tone, pickup selector and phase controls, Schaller M-4 tuners, 1-5/8" width at the zero fret, 30-1/2" scale, weighs 7.0 lbs, very rare and unique bass, a real interesting piece in the evolution of the electric bass"

The bass is very small, almost toy like. Thin, thinner than a Gibson SG, I think, very light . Has a slight neck dive, but not to bad. The strap buttons are in a weird place but do work rather well. I haven't figured the controls out yet. I may wire it stereo someday. The PU's are molded into one unit. Different.

Pots and controls are scratchy but should clean up well. Sounds ok, but will know more after a string change.

String were put on by a moron.
    Many nicks,scratches, paint voids, and crazing. Lots of mismatched screws and some missing screws.

I emailed the luthier about the possibility getting a case or parts, he has not responded. Kind of reminds me of my Chrysler Crossfire. The bastard love child of Chrysler/ Daimler. Chrysler doesn't know how to service it anymore, and Mercedes won't!

It might be too rare. When and if I sell it no one will know what it is.
    It think it may make a great piccolo bass.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

wraub, Gilmourisgod, grisezd and 21 others like this.
  2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Pretty cool piece of history there. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

3. Thank you. Time will tell! :)

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

S-Bigbottom, mapleglo and mbelue like this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Very cool. Interesting "nut."

6. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I remember buying one on EBay around 2000 or so for $600. It was #40 and was well worn. I traded it some years later and it showed up on a well known website in mint condition. No mention of the refurb either.

7. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I been wrong before...but there is one very much like this one on Craigslist, Atlanta. WAY too rich for my job, but who wouldn't love to hold it in their hands???? Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  8. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Awesome nice piece. Put some clip up when you get a chance.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Kinda cool. Congrats!

10. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    So, I may not know what that is, but I do know awesome when I see it.

Great score dude.

staurosjohn likes this.
  11. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I want:).....Nice score, beautiful bass!!

Slkaye likes this.
  12. What is that "weird thingy" where the upper cutaway meets the body? Or is it part of a stand or something?

13. Must be a stand...that's not on the bass.

14. A question for the future of this bass.....refinish?

15. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Palm Bay FL
    Built by Tom Leiber on long island , i don't think he builds instruments anymore mostly beautiful furniture

16. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Interesting how the G string wraps around the nut. Not sure why. Cool bass, congrats and have fun!

17. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    If the state of original finish makes the bass unusable, yes. Otherwise, never.

18. I'll wrap it the right way, with new strings.

19. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    So very cool! I remember when Stanley Clarke was using these. He's a big guy. It's a little bass. It sorta looked like a ukelele when he played it! :)

Really neat piece of history.

47th Street likes this.
  20. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021