NBD: Squier Classic Vibe '60s P Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderB, Apr 19, 2019.

1. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    This little beauty was delivered yesterday from Sweetwater. It's strung with NPS .045-.105 gauge round wound strings and comes with Fender designed alnico split-coil pickups. The body is poplar with a maple neck and Indian Laurel fret board. I have a set of Fender '62 pickups but as good as this sounds not sure it's worth changing them out. Thanks for looking,

Jack

Attached Files:

2. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Looks super clean!

FenderB likes this.
  3. Super..congrats!! So, what do you think of the craftsmanship? That Indian Laurel board? Just curious because I am torn between that and a used MIM Jazz.

FenderB likes this.
  4. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Congrats! I’m interested to see what you think of the fit and finish and overall quality on this.i didn’t like the oneI played at NAMM in January but now that the production models are arriving, most people seem to like them.

FenderB and Brandon Stroud like this.
  5. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey Rallypoint. The craftsmanship is great, nice finish, the hardware looks good. The knobs are nice and tight, the tuners are too. At some point in time I will most likely put flats on it but for now the rounds song amazing. For my money it's a great bass. I think the Indian Laural fret board goes well with the color of the bass and pickguard. The dots are a little hard to see but maybe that's a blessing in disguise, get me to learn the fret board better. Will have to find out what to put on it to protect it. The volume knob does what it's suppose to and the tone control has a great range, better then my other two Fenders (MIM Jazz Deluxe and '50s CV). Over all I'm very pleased with it, for my money it's a great bass. Good luck with you quest.

6. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey mbell I really like this bass. The overall build is very good, the quality of the hardware isn't any different then what you would find on a MIM Fender. Like I told Rallypoint the volume and tone control knobs are very tight, the bridge is nice and the pickups do what they are suppose to. The finish is superb and the tort guard is very nice. The Indian Laural fret board is a little lighter then a Rosewood board. Overall I think it's a great bass for the price. I love the sound of it, the tone control give you a very wide range.

mbell75 likes this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi FenderB :)

Sorry for coming late to the party!

Happy NBD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Check out boiled linseed oïl. I use it on all of my fretboards.

It works fine! Smells a bit funnier than the lemon oïl stuff they sell in GC but it 's cheaper! :D

greetings, have fun with your P Bass

and may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

FenderB likes this.
  8. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Nice looking Bass.

I had one and regret selling.

FenderB likes this.
  9. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks Wisebass. That's what I use on my MIM Jazz Deluxe, appreciate the suggestion. Never to late, glad you came.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Classic.:woot:

11. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    They just came out.

12. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I had one when they came out with the Sonic Blue back in 2005/2006.

13. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Ah ok, that’s cool. These are different basses though.

14. Well I pulled the trigger on the 60’s Jazz in Sunburst!! Was torn between a used MIM Jazz and this. Let’s see how she is when she comes in. Can’t wait!

Sorry didn’t mean to thread jack but I was excited.

FenderB likes this.
  15. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    No problem, you didn't. Glad you let us know about getting the new bass, will be interested in what you think. Hope it sounds a good as my Squier P does. Congrats.

Rallypoint_1 likes this.
  16. What sealed the deal apart from the price and look was your review on your bass! I use BLO as well and we’ll see if I use some. It did darken my P’s rosewood board.

17. Congrats, FenderB! That P looks mighty fine!

I've got the oly white version coming in the mail, expecting it around Aug 1. I've been wanting this bass since they started showing up online a few months ago, and theres no videos/demo's of it anywhere that I can find (yet their sold out a lot of places online)!

I had my eye on it purely because I've wanted a straightforward P bass for a while now, and I've had nothing but good experiences with the original vintage vibe series instruments. I got what seems to be a great deal on it, free shipping, just from the other side of the country (I'm in eastern Canada).

How does the neck feel? Any difference in feel with the laurel as opposed to rosewood? How are the frets?

18. JdFastMother

JdFastMother Commercial User

Aug 5, 2019
    Memphis, Tennessee
    WB Gear/SIT Strings/In Tune Guitar Picks
    I just ordered one of these in 3 color burst. I had an American Standard in the same finish. I miss that bass

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021