NBD! the 94 warwick thumb NT 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Apr 26, 2019.

1. FollowMeDown

FollowMeDown

Feb 8, 2019
    I would love LED side markers on my fretted thumb 5 NT but had always presumed it couldn't be retrofitted. Is it even doable with an NT? Did they have to take the fingerboard off the neck? Is there a risk of screwing the bass up?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. Cygnus0820

Cygnus0820

Apr 3, 2019
    I’m sorry, I wish I could answer all the technical questions but I’m really not a tech head. I don’t know the answers to your questions or how the luthier did it. He said he could do it, I knew people who had used him and recommended him and I just had him do it.
    I wish I could help you

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I don’t question the zing, but I do question the cause. I think maybe Warwick does too.

I was playing my Thumb 5 BO tonight. If the OP’s bass is half of what my bass is, he’s got an incredible bass. But...mine doesn’t have bell brass frets and it has no shortage of zing. I think the tone is in the preamp, the active pickups, and the pickup position. I think the “Sound of Wood” and the bell brass frets are largely just romantic ideas of what makes a bass sound great.

I think Warwick agrees. Their slogan is now “Basses, Amps & Rock’n Roll.”

4. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Well, the pickups and preamp in this monster are both aguilar so some of the zing factor is definitely in the wood and construction. I was never a fan of the MEC electronics' sound, and i think i m going to swap the preamp out with a nordstrand 2b + to get some more oomph. I also hate VV so I really want a V Blend.

In reality we all know there is some ancient Germanic tree magic that they put into the process that makes the Warwicks super special.

5. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    I really love my Thumb BO5. It has emg-xlj's and the aggie obp-3 in it. One mistake I did make was putting the wrong strings on it. D'Addario Pro Steels on it sounded like poo. In fact, I was so disgusted by the tone I was getting, I put it on the trading block. But, I did try a different set of strings, LaBella Stainless Steels (which are now discontinued) and she came back to life a roaring monster. Now I have to see what strings I can replace the SS with since they are discontinued. Maybe LaBella SuperSteps?? idk. lol They are a wonderful bass though. Congrats on your new bass. Fine piece of axe.

TheMaynorD likes this.
  6. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I use dr lowriders on all my basses due to their punch and playability. Great for slapping and tapping, and with the Warwick they punch like the Koolaid man through a wall.
    I never liked the daddario prosteels anyway.

sumgruuvz likes this.
  7. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    I used to use dr lowriders on my Spector. Then I tried the ProSteels on my Spector, and with that bass, they definitely sound better than the lowriders, to me of course. :bassist:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021