NBD! the 94 warwick thumb NT 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Apr 26, 2019.

1. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Picked this gnarly monster up this evening from @ElMon. Going to run it through its paces tomorrow at rehearsal. Even unplugged it sounds amazing. Those bell brass frets give it some serious zing. My wife's first comment: "it's kind of ugly..." :rollno:
    Might call this one big fugly.

Attached Files:

2. Tremendous! Nothing sounds like a Warwick Thumb.

DrayMiles and Bassosaurus like this.
  3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Nothing ugly to me about a warwick thumb. They stand out like very few other instrument and have a woody and organic character, look, and sound all their own. I hope to own one again someday. Congratulations! Is this your first warwick?

4. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    It is, and I may be hooked.

jmon and BOOG like this.
  5. Cygnus0820

Cygnus0820

Apr 3, 2019
    Have the same exact bass except mine is fretless and I had a local guy install blue LED fret side markers in mine and one in the “W” on the headstock so it would light up.
    It’s by far the heaviest instrument I own. I swear it feels like it weighs 35lbs... it made my shoulder feel like it was holding up a tree hahahahaha But it just sounds so damn good and was so expensive that I kept it even though I never play it anymore. I’ll see if I have a picture of me playing it somewhere, otherwise I’ll have to go into storage and get it out.

TheMaynorD likes this.
  6. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Yeah they certainly are massive beasts. Even my neoprene strap can only mitigate the weight so much. Worth the shoulder pain though IMO

7. Cygnus0820

Cygnus0820

Apr 3, 2019
    My band mates at the time called it “the ugly bass” as well hahahaha

TheMaynorD likes this.
  8. Awesome! Thumbs sound like nothing else. Congratulations!

And tell your wife that it’s against TB rules to call a bass ugly. :D

James Collins and TheMaynorD like this.
  9. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    You know back when I was younger and starting out on bass, I thought the bongo, and pretty much all warwicks were the fugliest basses ever. And here I am now with the bongo 6 and the thumb 6 as my favorite basses both aesthetically and sonically. One day ill get a bongo again but really the thumb blew it out of the water in terms of playability.

For reference, I thought my first bass, an F series LTD 5 string, was the coolest thing ever...... :roflmao:

Cygnus0820 likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

can't agree with your better half: looks awesome to me! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

TheMaynorD likes this.
  11. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Hey, after i plugged it in and played it she was a huge fan of the sound.

JRA likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

13. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Oh, the mighty Thumb! I got to play one of the 5-strings & a 4-string Dolphin on the same day in '93ish? Great sounding both of them, but a year or so later saw Toad the Wet Sprocket in Portland. Dean Dinning was playing a 5-string Thumb & they opened with the song "Fly from Heaven"...Good God! That line, on that bass...more like "Fly TO Heaven".

Great pickup, have fun!

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have not had many, but I really like Warwicks. They all a signature thing going on even if I can’t quite put it in words.

15. I've had a boat load of Warwicks but never one with Aguilar pickups. I bet that thing sounds amazing. Nice bass!

16. Rogatien

Rogatien

Mar 18, 2019
    Canada
    Beautiful!!!! Congrats!!!!

17. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I had a thumb 5...a 6 would truly be a beast of a bass.

18. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Ive always loved the looks of them . Had a 5er for a while. It was great, i miss it. Congrats on that beautiful beast!

19. Had a couple of those
    FFF1E902-193F-43B2-9AA6-66D4B117557B.jpeg 3A03A575-E0A7-4F92-83BA-5750E62B28DB.jpeg CDFD294F-6939-41F5-B2FF-2BEE8BA462B0.jpeg
    They are very nice. Congrats on the new bass.

20. 8liter

8liter

Apr 30, 2009
    It's funny that people called them the "ugly bass" because I think it's easily one of the best-looking basses ever made. Complete standout and totally original. It's beautiful.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021