1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD! Avatar SB126.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bordinco90, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well I took a chance and bought an Avatar SB126 4-ohm cab. Mine has the standard Eminence Delta 12LF speaker. I played 3 gigs with it this weekend and it sounded great with my Markbass Little Marcus 250 and TC Electronic BH250. I can hear myself perfectly in gig situations. The 6 inch mid really lets me hear the high notes on my P Bass. I also debadged the cab as well. I think it looks great. The only downside is that it is heavy for a 1x12 cab (about 45 lbs). Other than that I think Avatar has a real winner here and for $438 shipped to my door I believe that it is a real bargain.
    20190602_024246-jpg.jpg

2. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Let me know what you think!

3. I'm sure it's a great cab and I'm glad that you like it :)

bordinco90 likes this.
  4. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Thanks!

5. You should have heeded advice and bought the 8Ω version. :)

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    This seems to be one of your pet peeves. There are quite a few of us who use 4 ohm cabs, myself included, using two of them with a Shuttlemax 12.2. In this day of cheap, two channel power amps, and diversified bass amps , like the Shuttlemax, there is no reason to shun 4 ohm cabs. And before you start, I am not talking about the reason being a huge difference in volume,( although there IS a slight increase ), but more of a sonic difference, namely a more fuller, effortless bass tone. I spent the best part of 30 years using two 8 ohm cabs, and was perfectly happy doing so, but since switching to 4 ohm cabs, whether just one or two, I noticed a tone I was not getting with say, just a single 8 ohm cab. I typically use a single 4 ohm cab 115, and I can get the volume I need in certain gig situations whereas before, with an 8 ohm cab, I couldn't. Night and day ? No, but just enough to get me in the zone I needed to be, with a fuller bass tone.

7. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Nice, I have a pair of the now discontinued TB153, and it kicks butt, but it’s a bit overkill. The SB126 Kappalite neo in 8 ohms would be more practical. I personally like a tweet (barely on), so the SB123 might be more my style.

puremusic and bordinco90 like this.
  8. I too use 4Ω cabinets as I was intending to use them with a big ass power amp that is quite happy with 2Ω loads per channel. The amp will power all four of my 4Ω Acme B2 cabinets nicely and will deliver 2KW while doing so. in fact ALL my amplifiers are safe at 2Ω.

As for it being a pet peeve of mine I disagree entirely. In our world where most amplifiers still only go down to 4Ω the OP is now limited to one cabinet. The 8Ω box would not have been noticeably quieter and left room for future expansion.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  9. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    What size of venues, and, what are your playing volumes? I've been looking at getting a stand alone 210, but saw this cab yesterday, and am considering it.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  10. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I play on stages big and small indoors and outdoors. We do have a sound crew, so I don't need to project out to the crowd. I use mine as a stage monitor. Mine gets loud enough to hear over the entire band with monitors.

jchrisk1 and alaskaleftybass like this.
  11. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I would definitely check one out. They are built very well and priced right.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    He still has room for expansion, as you yourself said, with a power amp, if he so chooses. Or, he can do what I did, and get a Shuttlemax 12.2, an excellent bass head, imho. The world of bass amps is changing; Genzler, Mesa Boogie, etc. is now designing heads that go to 2 ohms, if needed. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like every time someone pops up with a 4 ohm cab purchase, you are there telling them they " should have followed advice ". I believe this is the second thread recently where you have " tsk tsk'd " 4 ohm cabs.

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Both you and @BassmanPaul are right for different reasons. You are right that the industry is moving towards 2ohm load offerings. However, if you look at the OP's amp choices he is limited to one cabinet for both amps. As he is using it for a stage monitor only one cab might do just fine.

@BassmanPaul is correct in that there may be a day that the OP leaves the band and needs to be louder. He may have to move to a second cab and thus lose use of the two 4ohm amps, needing to go to an amp that he might have to sacrifice his tone preference for the need to be able to handle two 4ohm cabs.

I love the concept of a 12/6 cab without a tweeter as I'm more old school. The 12/6 will give a nice mid/high end without getting too much sizzle like a tweeter. I think this concept is one of fEARful's most successful designs. For myself, I'm no longer interested in hauling around a 46 pound cabinet but I'll bet that cabinet is a beast and sounds great! Congratulations and enjoy! :thumbsup:

BassmanPaul, jnewmark and bordinco90 like this.
  14. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Thanks it does sound great. I was going to get the standard SB112, but I don't care for tweeters. The mid speaker does sound great and the cab has a nice deep sound.

eriky4003 and alaskaleftybass like this.
  15. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah the SB123 may be a better fit for you. I was going to get that one, but I'm not a big fan of tweeters. The mid speaker is perfect for my needs.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Nice cab and small rig. Congrats!

bordinco90 likes this.
  17. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Thanks!

18. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    +1 Me neither! Nice score, enjoy

p12bassnut and bordinco90 like this.
  19. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Thanks. I love it!

Keger Jupit likes this.
  20. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I took a long look at these but kept away b/c I'm a wussbag about carrying cabs now. :rolleyes:

Still, these look like a solid buy for the price and I'm glad you like it!