Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help finding the right synth pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CopperheadLXXIX, Aug 11, 2005.

1. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Hey guys and gals,
    I was hoping some of you might be able to help me: I'm looking for a bass synth pedal that tracks well and does a good job of replicating synth bass sounds you might hear with say Nine Inch Nails or possibly 80's new wave stuff. Basically something that can get more rock oriented sounds as opposed to some of the spacey funky type synth stuff. Any suggestions?

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm also looking. There were a couple of threads about this less than a month ago. More like two weeks ago. Give a look. I don't remember what the titles were though.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you're looking for what I think you're looking for, check out the Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

4. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    No, I'm not looking for an octave down effect like the one that has often been discussed with the Digitech, if that is what you're suggesting.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I like the Ibanez SB-7..............

6. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA

YOu know the digitech has more settings than JUST octave....don't knock it cause its digitech.

7. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Um...who said I was knocking it? And since you mention Digitech, the only piece of effects gear I have (and absolutely adore) is an old BP8 that I use for compression, distortion, EQ, reverb and hopefully soon as a crossover for a bi-amped rig.
    I simply said that BSW probably isn't what I'm after since what little I've heard of it seems more geared towards that Bootsy funky/envelope filter type sound. Looking for a synth that would squeeze itself into more rock oriented music. Of course the BSW might be more variable than I've had a chance to hear.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    the Digitech has good synth sounds, but if you're looking for teh type of synth sound that doesnt really open up/change through the note but rather has a more constant drone, you might be able to dial something close with a really slow rate, but i can see how it would not do the job

anyways another suggestion, that is probably not very practical nor portable but functional is to get an old boss me-6b or me-8b the synths on these units track really well and i own the me-8b and it has a ton of unable synth sounds and has a clean blend. from what i remember about 80's music and NIN stuff, it can do those sounds reasonably well. stuart zender in jamirouquai used it for the weeoaaaaaoooooo synth sounds, but these guys also ahve the constant drone type synths that you might be looking for. but of course since these are multi effect boards they're the size of like 3-4 pedals jsut for one sound.

check out the EH Bass Microsynth. i never liked it but i think you might

and then you ahve the ubiquitous list of the discontinued but highly sought after pedals: Akai Deep Impact, and the Korg G5

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Why not try it out for yourself? It might be worth a listen...

10. KevinC

KevinC Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2002
    West Des Moines, IA
    I also would put in a vote for the Ibanez SB7.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    search.. theres plenty of info on synths on talkbass. fwiw, deep impact is the only one i think that can get a keyboard kind of sound. might be worth checking out www.fxdoctor.com - 8 bit fuzz, supposedly has keyboard-like attack.