Need some help: TIs vs. Fender Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by squeally dan, Jun 30, 2022.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    One of 10 year old strings on my J bass unwound down by the ridge so needed some new ones. I really liked the strings that were on it. I don’t know for sure but think they were TIs. They felt very low tension. Decided to try something different and cheaper this time so I installed some Fender 9059Ls. They feel much stiffer and the low E is rattling…..I think because it might be too big for the nut.
    So, when I look at the gauges, the TIs and Fenders appear to have the same size E. So why would the Fender not fit as well?
    Also, the other 3 TI strings smaller? Is that the less tension I’m feeling? Didn’t think it would make that much difference?

2. Fender 9050L = 45-60-80-100. I have a hard time with the idea of 100E being too big for the nut slot.

A couple of things to check for... Make sure the E string is wrapped around the tuner post properly so the last wrap is as close to the bottom as possible to ensure adequate break angle at the nut.

Also, make sure to do a complete setup going from TI's to Fender 9050s as the tension difference is fairly significant and would probably require a truss rod tweak.

3. By the way, does the E rattle only when played open or when fretted as well?

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  4. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    Only open. A string as well. It has had the same strings for at least 10 years so this is my first time changing bass strings. 8FE915EA-3C6E-4A30-8087-E30C70FBBCAA.jpeg

Pops OB and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    You need to do this -- you installed them "upside-down."

6. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    Ugh. I’m a dope

7. A simple rookie mistake. Lesson learned. ;)

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

And if you need different strings, probably the most popular answer is Labella Deep Talkin' flats, 760FL model. Been my go-to for more than 20 years.

And when you re-install that E, shorten the string. You don't need more string than enough to reach 4 inches past the tuner post. That includes bending over the end of the string to insert into the tuner post.

macmanlou and squeally dan like this.
  9. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    Thank you. That fixed it. Still may change back to TIs for the mellower tone and lower tension.

DrThumpenstein and Lobster11 like this.
  10. Don't give up on the Fender 9050s too soon, though. It does take a good month or two for them to settle into their true character. They happen to be my favorite flatwound for my Fender Jazz for their full-bodied punch and a nice midrange with a hint of grind.

bdplaid, Aqualung60, edencab and 7 others like this.
  11. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    Also set the witness points.

12. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    What is that?

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Me too. Don’t sweat it. I’m sure winding those to the bottom of the post fixes your break angle.
    Also the A on many Fenders needs around 3 turns so remember not to cut that one short.

squeally dan likes this.
  14. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    A secret you only learn on TalkBass ;)

berlihe, Element Zero and mikewalker like this.
  15. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    You going to let me in onit?

16. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    Google is my friend...I'll introduce you !

17. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    Push the strings down on both sides of the nut and saddles to ensure a good break angle. It can help eliminate resonances and lack of sustain

18. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Grizelda100 and squeally dan like this.
  19. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    squeally dan and Killing Floor like this.