1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neutrik speakon ends

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Archangel_Bass, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    hey ive got an issue wiring my svt 4 pro with neutriks, just switched from 1/4 jacks, ive got the proper cables just cant figure out which end goes to the amp and which to the speaker (noob) cause they arent labelled with the positive and negative. could anyone give me a description of the ends and which part they go to?

2. OK, I'll bite. Aren't both ends the same?

3. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    thats what i thought at first but the end for the amp is supposed to be (1+):( 2-), and the end for the cab is supposed to be (1+): (1-), ive got the appropriate cables im just not sure which end is which as the cables arent labelled. just looking for a description or a way to tell the difference in the ends. i was told that the reasong for the second negative on the amp side is for grounding but im not 100% about that.

4. That doesn't sound right. What's the amp?

Oh.....SVT4

5. There are a couple different ways you may want to have the cables wired, depending on what you are trying to do. None of them are 1+/2-.

http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT4PRO.pdf

Where did you get these cables and why do you believe they are wired differently at each end? Are you trying to run the amp bridged?

6. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    nope stereo. ampeg svt 4 to a pair 810e's the cables came from the music store that i purchased the cabs from. i got the info from the ampeg site maybe i just read it wrong. but heres a copy of the ampeg statement:

Q14) What kind of speaker cable is required to mono bridge my SVT-IV PRO?
    The prefered cable is 12 gauge with Speakon to Speakon connectors. Be sure to wire the Speakon on the "amp" end for +1 (positive) and +2 (negative). On the "cabinet" end wire the Speakon for +1 (positive) and -1 (negative). It is a good idea to label each end so there is no confusion on the gig.

i know thats for the mono bridge setup but they (store guys) said that it should be the same cables. maybe they were wrong.

7. They are the same cables.

They should be wired standard unless someone opened them up and changed something.

You should be able to just plug them in and go. You are not getting any sound at all?

8. If you are trying to hookup in standard mode (not bridged) then ALL cable ends are wired 1+ to 1+ and 1- to 1- this makes a cable that is reversible as both ends are alike.

If you are wanting bridged mode then you have to wire a special cable that must be hooked up a certain way (special wired end for the bridged connection on the back of the 4pro and standard wired end for the speaker cabinet) On the standard end wire 1+ and 1-, on the amp end wire 1+ and 2+. DO NOT HOOK THIS CABLE UP BACKWARDS mark it so you can clearly see which end belongs in the amp as it is the "special" end. Oh you MUST have a 4 pole connector for the special end or you won't have a 2+ and 2- whereas the speaker cabinet end can be a cheaper 2 pole end. This is how I keep track of the different ends during setup on my SVT 4 pro. The 4 pole connector has a metal release button and the 2 pole has a plastic release button, so I always put the metal release in the amp and the plastic one in the speaker cabinet

9. SPQR

SPQR

Feb 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you are running in stereo, just use normal cables (1+,1- on both ends). You can check the manual to see a diagram for the amp connections.

10. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    awesome good thing i back checked all this before plugging in they gave me two cables set for the mono bridged setup as oppose to two standard cables. just wanted to make sure before i blew up a couple k$. thanks a million everybody ill stick to the 1/4 jacks till i swap the cables they gave me.

11. I see you are using standard mode stereo so the cables should be wired the same on both ends and are reversible and interchangeable.

You don't need 4 pole connectors and the wiring is 1+ and 1-

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. It would be nice if manufacturers would use Speakons as Neutrik intended, with no jury rigging as is the case here. Any amp can be configured to run +1, -1 poles with bridged output, all you need is one more Speakon as a dedicated bridge output jack. But that would cost them another three or four bucks...:scowl:
    Be careful not to mix up dedicated bridging cables or to hook them up backwards, as dire consequences could ensue.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First, you're misreading the manual. Look in the quote. It says the amp end is +1, +2 and the cab end is +1,-1.

However, that's for bridged mono operation. For normal operation, any 4-pole Speakon will do. Sorry for the repetition. I don't have time to read the whole thread.

14. K, so I just got a Crown XLS1000 and ordered a GK 410MBE, both can use Speakon connectors, so I ordered a 5 foot 2-pole Speakon wire. These instructions are in the manual of the power amp under the bridged-mono section:

" b. If using a Speakon® connector, connect the positive terminal of the speaker to 1+ and the negative terminal to 2+.
    Plug the connector into the Channel 1 output only."

So I guess I have to do the same thing, a 2-pole end for the cabinet but a 4-pole Speakon for the amp. Do I need a special wire, or I can just add some adapter on the one I ordered? At the shop they had 1/4" cables and speakon adapters that clipped on to the 1/4" sleeves. Can I just get a 2-pole and a 4-pole adapter? Sorry for the kind of repeated question, the people at the shop didn't tell me any of this and I'm completely new to this.

Thanks

PS After reading the instructions again, it says to connect the positive and negative terminals. So would a 2-pole Speakon work for the amp? If so, how would I ensure that I connect them to the right terminals (1+ & 2+)? Sorry, really confused now...

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A 2 pole plug only has +1, -1, there is no +2 pole to use.

16. Oh, okay thanks Bill. So it looks like I'm getting a 1/4" cable with a 2-pole adapter and a 4-pole adapter.

Thanks again

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

True but the four pole seems to have become the de-facto standard. They also have a nicer unlock mechanism.

18. raytsmith

raytsmith

Nov 21, 2007
    Central Ky
    This doesn't really answer your question about Speakons, but the most fool proof way to bridge an amp (for me, anyway) is to take off one of the Speakons and use a banana plug on one end.

For normal use, plug the red and black poles of the banana into red and black on your amp. This gives you 1+, 1_ on the amp to 1+, 1- on the cab.

For bridge operation, plug the banana into both Red connectors on your amp. This gives you 1+, 2+ on the amp to 1+, 1- on the cab.

This way the same cable can be used for stereo or bridge operation and you never get confused on which end goes to the amp.

If you have a double ended Speakon cable that is long enough, cut it in half, add two banana plugs and you now have two speaker cables.

You'll still have to set a switch on the amp to put it in bridge mode, or maybe through the lcd screen, depending how that amp is made.

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Never EVER use a 1/4" cable for bridge operation. It's dangerous to both you and your amp. Both the tip and the sleeve will be hot to ground and twice as hot to each other. If the metal of the plugs touches any ground the second channel of your amp could well be toast.

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

To use the individual channels just use the NL4 plug for both ends wired +1 > +1 and -1 > -1. The second pair are unused.

To run in bridge the amp end needs to be wired +1 > speaker +1 and +2 > speaker -!. The amp then needs to be switched to Bridge. I've yet to see a 2 pole socket on any piece of equipment.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021