1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEVER thought I'd do this!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vic, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The key is in understanding how I generally feel about Hartke stuff:
    Politely, not good.
    Frankly, I'll reserve comment to avoid an advocacy mud storm 'cause I assume there's plenty of great players out there using them happily. However, not me... until now... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, I still pretty much feel the same about most of their stuff, but then I stumbled across a certain "Pro" series cab. OMG. Total departure, not "boxy" at all. Big rich tone, and in a WONDERFUL angle front lightweight configuration! How cool is that for those small club stages (such as I just played last night).

I figure most (including folks normally into Hartke stuff) shy away from these because they only come in a 4 ohm 300W config. Fairly low power handling for a 4 ohm load by today's standards. However, I fed it plenty of juice from my TFB 550, and it had no problems whatsoever keeping up, and I actually had to flatten out the bass because it was so big sounding.

I'm amazed by this stupid little cab. I've got much higher end stuff, but I see this cab being used fairly regularly for certain places, and if I do blow up the speakers (actually, highly unlikely), I'll just throw some NEO 250W 12's in there and be even happier.

Dang, I can't believe I found Hartke stuff I like this much... it just ain't right... :)

Anyway, it ain't real w'out pics, so here it is... ta'daaaaaa...

hartkefunk.

2. i was looking at a 2x15" once by them...

never got to try it out, but the price was decent enough.

3. Again Vic, April Fools right?!?!?!?!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaha..ha...........h.......a....
    no??
    Hmm:meh: , alrighty then!

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    NO WAY, an april fool's joke complete with a fake picture!!!

:)

I'm glad you're enjoying the cab! Have fun with it, maybe take the label off the cover..... ;)

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I remember reading an article in modern drummer about drummer chris parker and will lee and the stuff they'd done together...

I think in the photos, will lee had one of those cabs with a walter woods, but then he's used hartke, but i thought it was a cool looking cab, interesting review, thanks!

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Hey Vic, what's the weight like? I had a gig last night up a flight of stairs and it made me think about about smaller cabs again.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice! It's always fun to come across that unlooked for gem. :cool:

And I think that the cab looks great with that Thunderfunk on top! :bassist:

Tom.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    This is awesome, I forgot it's 4/1! I have to admit, I wish I'd thought of that and done something, but this is for real.

Mike, you need to check this cab out. It may not be good enough for you to consider purchasing one, but I'm pretty sure you'll have trouble believing it's really a Hartke cab. :)

It's about 58 pounds... not bad at all, and it's narrow enough it feels even lighter than that. It's a very easy carry, and even has removable (albeit fairly cheap) casters.

The high end on it is very subtle... a little darker than what I'm used to, but really nice, and compliments the really bright stuff like MTD and Zon fantastically.

Here's the best part... the price... NEW, these go for about $430, $350 on closeout, and used, $300 or LESS!

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Man what a killer looking rig!!

10. It must feel really light. Hartke's site says its 74.35 lbs.

Sounds like you're almost in love!! Kinda like finding out you really like the girl in town who's been around and has a bad reputation. Don't be embarrased if you really like her!!

I wonder what would be a good replacement speaker to give it more power handling.

11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    And that's what really matters!

:p

:bassist:

12. Vic, The more I look, the more I like. Does it really have balls without breakup at higer volume?
    I need a good compact cab at that price point.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd put it on its side.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Believe it.

I can't guarantee anything, but I was feeding it pretty well, four sets, LOUD drummer, and I was told to turn down (which is normally not necesary :)). For a while, I wasn't even in the PA. Again, it was a small venue, but still, plenty of go-juice.

Yeah, I saw that, and it's nowhere near that heavy unless that's shipping weight.

I'm thinkin' some NEO 12's from Dave at Avatar. I really like his NEO cabs, and I think he has custom drivers made for him... I don't think they're the standard Deltalites.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    That would totally defeat the angle front and 50% of its appeal to me.

16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It would be cool; there would be a speaker facing left and a speaker facing right.

17. COOL! I guess the rack hangs off about an inch on each side. Looks like yours might be a Gator which is where my TFB 550 resides. I wish some of these designers of proline cabs would take that into consideration. Give an inch or so here and take away an inch there. I've seen several cabs that are just a smidgin narrower than a standard rack!

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm pretty sure you are correct. At least the first geration Eminence neos had a mesh dustcover for cooling. Avatars had a felt dustcover, though they were still Eminence speakers (as MOST production cabinets are).