New 2021 Gibson NR Thunderbird!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bholder, Jan 21, 2021.

1. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    2020 Epiphone Embassy Pro-WEB.jpg

I picked up a used black one a while back and was amazed at how easy and comfortable it was to play. It really does feel like a short scale when I put a bird down and pick this one up.

2. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Awesome. I seem to remember when the Embassy Pro came out, you could also buy the pickups separately.
    I don’t know if that’s still the case, though.

3. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ha, well if you ever feel a need to offload the BaCHs I'll happily play them ;)

Plake likes this.
  4. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’m just checking-in here, as it seems this is the 2021 NR “Waiting Room”, or maybe even “Wailing Wall” for some.

In either case, I’m in. Got my pre-order in on the PB and trying not to watch the calendar too fiercely. April 6?

C’mon Gibson, make it happen! :hyper:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  5. Sandman64

Sandman64

Sep 9, 2015
    I'm not seeing updates on these and they are no longer seen on the Gibson website. So have they killed them off before they even began?

6. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I’m not sure how I missed this in the past, but I just placed an order for one. Hopefully they won’t be killed off before they even ship!

7. Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    That would be extremely disappointing. :(

8. Sandman64

Sandman64

Sep 9, 2015
    I just received this note from Gibson.

"Hello, Thanks for the message! While these models will be coming later in the year, we have not yet announced any pricing and have no further information at this time. As soon as they are available, they should be posted on www.gibson.com."

bobyoung53, Iristone and tewnty_two like this.
  9. I wonder if they've not reopened their shop yet.

10. Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Gibson is still telling Sweetwater “early April”, as of today. Didn’t ask which year. :roflmao:

11. Noknoknok

Noknoknok

Mar 12, 2021
    I’m the mom of a would-be bass player who really wants a Thunderbird for his birthday later this year. He’s a lefty, and I know Gibson made the LH model a few years ago, but I’ve had zero luck finding one for sale. Could this NR model be essentially restrung upside down to accommodate?

TBird1958 likes this.
  12. Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Awesome! Welcome.

With nearly any bass, that’s an option, but there’s a bit more to it. The nut is cut for the different gauge strings, so that would need to be adjusted/corrected in order for the reversal to work. That’s not a task everyone can handle on their own, so you might need help from a reputable shop.

Ask around over at the Thunderbird Club. The folks there know a lot more about this than myself. You may even find someone willing to sell a lefty.

Best of luck to you!

Thunderbird Club

Noknoknok likes this.
  13. Noknoknok

Noknoknok

Mar 12, 2021
    Thank you .. I suspected it wasn’t so easy. Will follow your suggestion to see if there is someone near me who can make those kind of changes. I appreciate the quick response!

Goatrope likes this.
  14. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    For all of you that were hoping these new birds were shortscales, check out the les paul jr dc, the bass is killer!

Goatrope likes this.

15. I was just looking around online to see if they were for sale yet and was surprised to see they weren't.

16. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I wonder if these basses got pushed back because of the new simmonds thunderbirds.

Goatrope likes this.
  17. Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I don’t know what that is. Can you share any info?

I talked to SW today and they said “The guitar is actually due here right toward 4/28”.

So that’s where my pre-order stands.

Color me skeptical. :)

18. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Gene simmonds of kiss is designing some new Tbird basses for gibson!

Goatrope likes this.
  19. Halabja

Halabja

Jul 16, 2011
    CT
    I really can’t wait for these.

I recently picked up a natural money bass to compliment my epi embassy, and I’m slowly learning that the Thunderbird sound is kind of everything I’ve been looking for. To the point that I’m starting to forget my fender’s even exist.

20. Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Tell me about it. I was running my P and J, alternately, because we play a wide variety of music, and I was always wanting one or the other for a specific song. Since I got my TBird, it’s a one-bass-all-night bass. No need to alternate.

Now I want another as a backup.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Roger W likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021