New 2021 Gibson NR Thunderbird!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bholder, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yeah, V., I’ve heard those definitely RAWR! It’s a lefty, but I could maybe flip it over and call it a NR. :bassist: Too bad Japan isn’t yet allowing visitors or I’d already be local enough to check it out.

Price seems OK and I’ve only ever heard good things from Greco owners.

TBird1958 likes this.
  2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    The post I quoted was from someone looking for a lefty, there's lots of righties out there as well, both here in the US and in Japan, prices do seem to be going up on them - Great basses!
    Me with my Greco Thunderbird II, having some fun and a short description.

3. bylar13

bylar13

Dec 19, 2016
    Curious if anyone has been able to get a sense of the neck profile on this re-issue? I have 2014 T-Bird I like very much. I tried a 2012 NR re-issue and did not care for the neck, wider and thicker than my 2014. Just curious as I would love to pre-order one but can't get any info. I even called Gibson and the only thing thay were able to tell me was that the release date was the end of July.....

4. Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Not a clue. At least you got an updated release date. :crying:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. I have a 2004 Thunderbird & it's a comfortable weight & doesn't neck dive. Lucked out I guess.

6. Nope. That's pretty much the norm.

Iristone and bobyoung53 like this.

7. I have a 2018 and it's light and has no neck dive.

fakeneckplate'65 likes this.
  8. Yeah, same for my 2013. 8 lbs. and awesome balance.

bobyoung53 likes this.

9. I don't know how much mine weighs but I was pretty surprised when I picked it up.

BklynKen likes this.
  10. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    My '19 has great ergonomics. Might be because the new (post-'86) ones have smaller headstock and tuning pegs. It proves that mass doesn't directly correlate to sustain, which this axe has quite some. :thumbsup:

11. True. Mine has insane sustain, although I never need much.

Iristone likes this.
  12. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    hey, I don't know if they send it to US, but here's a lefty TBird Gibson 2018 Thunderbird 4-String Left-Handed Bass Guitar, Ebony

13. drayve

drayve

Jun 11, 2021
    Anyone heard anything? It’s been 6 months since it was announced...

14. Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    My reliable SW rep contacted me June 4 to say it was looking like first week of July.

I thanked him for the reminder, and reminded him of the April/ May/ June estimates. :laugh:

We both had a good laugh. Maybe this year? :wacky:

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021