Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Dec 15, 2005.

1. I have always been a "play it before you buy it" kind of guy, and yesterday I got a new bass (sorry Gard) that I had been eyeing for a while!

I picked up a Warrior Signature 4. I KNOW, I KNOW. Now I have to apologize for buying it because of their reputation. Let me tell you, I am a very picky guy, and have played just about every conceivable high-end instrument (Fodera, F, Sadowsky, Lull, Smith, Alembic, etc.), and this one is on par (or better in most cases) with all of them. I got an incredible deal from Uncle Rusty (Midwest Music, you should buy stuff from him, he's a great guy!).

The pictures aren't great. I will get some daylight pictures and some sound clips up later. The tone of this bass is incredible. When JD sent it to Rusty he told him that he didn't build it for looks, he built it for tone!!! Man, did he deliver. It's probably the ugliest bass I have ever seen, but I don't buy for looks. :D

Warrior Signature 4 Neck Through
    Mahogany/Purpleheart/Mahogany neck through
    Swamp Ash Wings (that's right)
    Birdseye Maple fretboard
    Rosewood (I think) headstock face
    Knobs: Mahogany(bottom)/Ebony pinstripe/Rosewood(I think-top)
    Bartolini Music Man style pickup with a slim humbucker at the bridge.
    Warrior designed 3 band pre-amp with 3 way mid switch. Very musical!
    TEAL finish. Not pretty, but who cares.
    Hipshot A style bridge.
    Recessed strap locks.
    Neutrik locking jack.

Here is the case. It is a cool looking TKL alligator skin looking thing.
    Full Body shot. I know it's not good. I'll get better ones.
    The knobs. And you can see the swamp ash wings through the finish.
    The only inlay on the fretboard is at the 12th fret. Pretty cool. This picture doesn't do justice to the birdseye.
    Rosewood overlay on the headstock.
    Another shot of the body.
    The back and neck.
    Back of the headstock.
    Back of the body. Sexy carved curves!
    TIDY Control Cavity. Nice work!
    This should really burn up the Sadowsky guys. Here is the strap that Rusty threw in with it. It is the Sadowsky Neo-Strap. It has neoprene in it, and it is really comfy. Very nice!!! If there was some way to take the Sadowsky off. :ninja:

Better pictures and soundclips later. I will also do a more thorough review of the bass.
  2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Very nice! It doesn't look ugly to me. Interesting pickup arrangement. :)
  3. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Of all of the modern looking basses I have seen, I think this one looks pretty nice.
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    very very very nice. Please post some sound clips!! :)
  5. I never thought I would like this pickup arrangement, because I have never really liked Music Man style pickups, but this thing is incredible sounding!
  6. I guess I said "ugly" because it is teal. I never thought I would have a teal anything. And it probably isn't teal. I'm sure it has some other fancy name, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.
  7. I will do some sound clips as soon as I get some time to sit down and work on it! It is impressive!
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow: Apologize for what?
    They are fine basses, if they do it right.

Anyway, cool! :cool: Though IMO they should've painted the headstock plate, too
  9. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    It's definitely teal, but somehow doesn't bother me.
  10. I knew people would question me buying a Warrior! It is incredible. I think I agree on the headstock.
  11. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    CR - Congrats. Great bass. Very true Warriors have some QC issues and I believe they are addressing them going forward. But the bottom line is these are great istruments. As good as anything out there. I own three. I did have a couple of go arounds to deal with issues, all small. I hope you enjoy it and use it in good health.
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I want a Warrior, but I plan on going to the shop (only a couple of hours from me) to try some out before I buy...

Nice bass! Enjoy!!
  13. mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    Congrats on the new bass -- that birdseye neck looks badass, though I think the confluence between the teal, birdseye, and the headstock combined are a bit much.

But for a modern bass, it's pretty interesting, that's for sure. And Neutrik locking jacks rock.
  14. I was a little worried about the QC issues, but believe me, I went over this thing with a fine-toothed comb. Pure quality! I love it.

I actually got rid of my other basses. I wanted one bass that would do it all, and this one is it!!

I went in the opposite way of most TB'ers. Most guys are trying to get as many as they can. I wanted ONE.
  15. Wait until I get a good shot of the birdseye. It's great. I agree with the look. I said it is the ugliest bass I've ever seen! :D
  16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

I'm with you. While I have two, one generally sits in the closet for a serious amount of time.

Congratz on the Warrior. I really dig their basses. I am absolutely kicking myself over trading the Warrior Standard+ I had. It had the same pickup configuration yours has, but definitely not a warrior pre (didn't know those existed). Enjoy!
  17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Very nice bass Chris!
  18. hey, i've played that bass. sounded very cool, i liked the pickups also. uncle rusty is the man. if i hadn't found my benevente i was going to buy the walnut 5 string neck thru he has.

19. I guess I'm part of your club now.