Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New EA VL208?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by macmrkt, Feb 25, 2005.

1. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    It seems as if there are quite a few folks on the DB side and probably many more on the BG side that want to get an Euphonic Audio VL-208. Would it be silly to consider the power of the talkbass.com community in this fashion: banding our potential orders together and seeing if EA would reissue the VL208, in original or updated (lighter weight) form? Just wondering...

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd be all over a reissue of the VL-208. In fact, something like an NL-208 could be cool, too! ;)

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm in for two. Say the word!

4. I've got a vl-110/vl-208 stack & a vl-108 practice rig....I'd be in for a new as well! Where do we sign?

5. What's the difference between the two series? Do the letters stand for something?

6. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    I also would be interested. Would they be the same Cabinet design as the old, but just with different drivers?

Inquiring minds and all that stuff.

Regards, Alex

7. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    I wonder how may firm orders they would need to produce this cabinet, maybe 200? 500? :meh:

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I would definitely be interested, but I'm pretty sure that the reason they quit making these cabs in the first place was that it's simply too expensive to put a competitively-priced cab on the market whan that cab contains 5 speakers and a transmission line design.

9. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    Hi Chris,

I know nothing about the VL line of cabinets. You mentioned 5 speakers.... what components are in there?

Regards, Alex

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Alex - The VL 208 has two 8" drivers, two (approx) 5" mid drivers, and a tweeter. Both the mid drivers and tweeter have individual controls on the back panel. You can find a pic of the VL 208 in the "Gear" gallery on the "Photos" page of my site. The VL 208 is one of the few pieces of gear I've ever encountered that truly lives up to the hype - these cabs are fantastic.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would for sure buy a VL208 if I could find one, but it is extremely unlikely that they would reissue them, or even a limitted number. That is, unless they had a lot of people cued up to buy them and they sold them for substantially more....

12. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Hey Chris,
    I work in the AV industry, and it's surprising how small well known companies often are. There's a chance that if there are some magic number of pre-orders, they'd consider a limited one-time 'classic' reissue or 'updated' reissue run. I was thinking a possible way to go about it would be to make a 'home page' announcement on talkbass.com, and maybe circulate more posts throughout all key areas of the site. First though, we'd have to approach EA with the idea and see what they think and what the conditions would be. No use getting hopes up if they completely pan the idea. What do you think?

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The NL series is one of EA's latest (see NL-210 on the EA home page), and it uses neo drivers (the 2x10 is unbelievably light). If they were to do a new 2x8, my guess is that it would be an NL-208. If this were to be true, it would probably also use neo drivers (they are out there already, but EA really does their homework, so if they are looking into 8" neo drivers, I am sure that they won't release anything until they are happy with the performance of the product).

We could all just e-mail John Dong directly, or we could use this thread as a "petition" or something... :D

14. EAJohn

EAJohn Euphonic Audio

Dec 4, 2002

It seems that I get monthly request for a VL-208.

I find it a little hard to justify producing a 2x8 cabinet since our NL-210 is 4 lbs lighter than the VL-208 and is just a little larger( NL-210:22.5"H x 17"W x 15"D vs VL-208:18.5"H x 17.5"W x 13.5"D). The NL-210 moves more air and plays louder.

If EA were to produce a new 2x8 cabinet then it would have the following parameters: M-Line configuration, Neo magnet, Kevlar woofer cones, 19.0"H x 15.6"W x 12.5"D(smaller than a VL-208), projected weight should be under 30 lbs(VL-208 is 48 lbs).

I expect the 8" neo drivers should be available sometime this summer. Prototypes will be made if the driver meets our requirements. The decision to market the NM-208 will be based upon dealer reaction at the Trade shows.

John Dong/Euphonic Audio Inc.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But what you haven't mentioned there is : "the sound"!!

The VL208s just sound better than any other cab for Double Bass - so I have surprised quite a few pro DB players in England with how good my VL208 sounds for amplifying DB - and especially how much better than their typical GK 150 combo! ;)

So - the only reason to play DB is for "that sound" - so specs about weight and loudness are irrelevant in this context - you're talking about people who lug these huge unweildy beasts everywhere - just for the sound!! ;)

16. EAJohn

EAJohn Euphonic Audio

Dec 4, 2002
    It seems that Double Bass players are partial to cabinets that use 8" drivers. Each driver, 12", 10" and 8" will have certain characteristics due to the size(breakup modes to the diameter and On/Off Axis response also due to the diameter). I guess we will have to wait till I get my 8" Neo samples.

John Dong/Euphonic Audio Inc.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would certainly buy an NM-208 anyway - so I hope all goes well! :)

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for replying, John. I know that you don't want to be "out there" too much, but for those of us involved in this thread, I think we now know that you fine folks at EA are aware of our preferences, and are investigating the options. Thanks!

Oh, and John, if it helps your marketing decision at all, you can put me down for at least two NM-208's! :D

19. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    "But what you haven't mentioned there is : "the sound"!!

The VL208s just sound better than any other cab for Double Bass - so I have surprised quite a few pro DB players in England with how good my VL208 sounds for amplifying DB - and especially how much better than their typical GK 150 combo!

So - the only reason to play DB is for "that sound" - so specs about weight and loudness are irrelevant in this context - you're talking about people who lug these huge unweildy beasts everywhere - just for the sound!!"

Yes, that is just the point. Will the NL-208 sound like the VL-208? The CXL does not sound like the VL series (ask Bob Gollihur or any dealer who has handled both). I would expect the NL to have more of a full-range sound, not emphasizing the lower end of the sound spectrum (as the VL does), and therefore being more efficient SPL >=100 dB unlike the VL's 96dB.

20. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    How right you are Tom. They are responsive...I didn't expect to hear from them. I think it's interesting how detailed his reply was. I was wondering if they had a project like this lying around somewhere. And I'm intrigued from an audiophile standpoint about the theoretical advantages and disadvantages of a 3way bass cabinet versus a 2way. It's clear that the 2way is the way they'll go. I wonder if a more full range 8" driver rids the need for the 3way and it's inherent disadvantages - such as crossover and cabinet complexity. I wonder if audiophile concepts apply to a bass cabinet such as point source and the preference of a 1 way over a 2way, or a 2way over a 3way...