1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

*New Extension Cab*, What do You Guys Think??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodsbass, Jan 9, 2012.

1. When I was just young and buying my first bass amp, I was led astray by companies selling a 4x10 matched with a 1x15. After lurking TB, I've decided to replace the 1x15 with either another 4x10 or a 2x10.

I have a Carvin BX1200 Head, with a BR410-4 cab and a BR115-8 cab. I'm selling the BR115-8 and would like to replace it with a Carvin BRX series cab.

Which speaker would compliment my current setup better, a second 4x10 or a 2x10? Also, does anyone have experience with either Cab?

Thanks!

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    A 2x10 would carry some of the same problems as a 1x15.

3. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    there's nothing wrong with pairing a 4x10 with a 1x15 :bag:

if so, then Victor Wooten must not know what he's doing cuz I recently saw him with not one, but 2 410 and 115 stacks. hmmm

4. Ohh, like what?

5. WormtownBass

WormtownBass

Jun 24, 2011
    Authorized Builder: Bill Fitzmaurice, fEARful bass
    Actually, there is plenty wrong with combining 10's and 15's. You should never do it unless you use a crossover and send them different frequencies. You are sacrificing sound quality and introducing funky phase effects if you send the same signal into 15s and 10s. In addition, since 4x10 cabs have side-by-side drivers, they introduce comb filtering. There is a reason why no pro audio system ever uses side-by-side drivers or mix drivers without crossovers. It violates the most basic rules of proper design. If you need more volume out of your rig, I would suggest adding another 15 or look into higher output cabs.

6. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I'd recommend a second 410, specifically the same one that you have already.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I'd recommend reading other threads that come up with this question. They occur ten or fifteen times a week and are incredibly predictable.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A 2x10 is fine with a 4x10 as long as it has twice the impedance of the 4x10. So an 8Ω 2x10 paired with a 4Ω 4x10. The amp will have to be stable with a 2Ω load.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Making such a statement is wrong even with an emoticon. Here is a reason from today: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/i-think-i-just-smoked-my-1x15-843250/

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1

11. Where you've seen my exact question, with the exact models of both amp head and cabinets I'm not sure, but if you can point me in the right direction, I'd be glad to do my reading :bassist:

Thank you for your constructive comment.

12. It doesnt really matter what brand or type of head and cab you are talking about. The fact is that mixing speaker sizes is a bad idea. There ARE hundreds of threads where this is touched upon. Nothing makes your gear special that the laws of physics dont apply.

If you have a cab you like get a second one. If you dont want two of the cab you have get one bigger cab, or two other identical cabs.

13. If you looked into the gear in question, you would see that it can handle a two ohm load, meaning I could pair an 8 ohm 2x10 with a 4 ohm 4x10. This would give the same wattage to each speaker (half the speakers, twice the impedance). I was wondering about sound, not ability to mix the cabinets.

Yes, there are several threads asking whether or not the combination would work. That is why I didn't ask. Re read the first post and you will see that that isn't the question.

14. If you re-read a few of those threads you will see what I was referring to. Yes it will work, and the power from your head could be split correctly through the cabinets.

That being said, there will most likely be tonal differences when combining different cabs regardless of the size of speakers. Are the speakers all in phase with each other? are they the exact same speakers? if so are the cabs tuned with the speakers exactly the same way?

If any of these answers is no, you will end up with less than optimal sound. If you love the sound of your 410, then get a second one. It will be louder, and both cabinets will be producing the sound that you like.

15. Thank you :bassist:

That being said, should I get another of the exact same cab, or should I upgrade to the BRX series cabs? Eventually I would like to upgrade to all BRX cabs, but I only have the money atm to do one at a time. Should I just get a second BR series cab instead?

16. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Cold, Daring. No flies on me. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Equal wattage aside, your question seems to be about the sound of a BRX 210 with a BR 410. I don't know specifically, but I assume these have different drivers in them, despite being 10" drivers. As such, I wouldn't expect to gain from the combination. Sure it'll move more air and be louder, but it'll be be a crap shoot whether it would sound good. You're still combining cabinets with dissimilar response, even if the drivers are the same size.
    Again, you gain much more coupling two identical cabs.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

BassmanPaul is correct...if you wish to make statements like this, a decepticon must be used.

[​IMG]

18. +1,000,000

19. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    and then why you were all pounding the poor guy in your 4x10 and 1x15 glory.

No body seemed to notice he has a BX1200

which comes with 2 output sections, with individual volume control.........and wait for it.............

Adjustable Crossover.

So hey he can use a 4x10 and 1x15.

downside, the 15 is limited to overall output compared to a 4x10.
    good thing you can adjust that with a 1200

still yes 2 matching 4x10's would be ideal for fullrange.

And yes updating to a better 4x10 (good idea) wont match his current lower cost 4x10.

So hey man not having money is understandable, upgrade what you can, and realize it might not be ideal for now. But will be more awesome when you have 2 upgraded matching cabinets

otherwise since you do have a crossover. To get the 15 up to the same level as the 4x10. all you would have to do is add another 15. So 2x15 and 1 4x10.

4x10 on the high freq crossover 2 1x15 on the low crossover.
    and yes the 1200 is 2ohm stable

adjust crossover to taste, and balance with the volumes.

Carvin might not be considered amazing to some, but they are still smarter than most here.