1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New F-Bass speaker cabinets!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Aug 14, 2012.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    [rant]
    strap handles on cabinets weighing over about 30lbs is fail imho
    [/rant]

This is a pet peeve of mine. My XS112 cabs are 22lbs, and I can live with the strap handle on that. But a 46 lb cab? Sorry, it should be recessed imho. Build the box a little bigger and put a proper handle on it. In order to play it at a gig, you have to get it there and back.

3. +1

I hate strap handles.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    103db with 40hz response in a little box....a downfiring port that's going to mess with the tuning depending on how you position the cab......in a 4ohm 210......:rollno:

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Always wanted an excuse to post this.....

3994A134-orig.

6. Dont forget its 400 watt continuous power rating or its 800 watt peak...

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Horizontal stacking? What happens to the down firing port then?? I'd much rather an Acme B2.

If the OP would like to try a REAL 2x10 he can take a trip to Scarborough and play through mine!! :)

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    No charts, fluff specs, not another, no thanks

"After years of R&D and fine tuning we’re happy to announce the release of our first official bass cab!"

Years of R&D - not very likely. Or they are very slow.

9. I got to play through a variety of new cabs that FBass has been working on. I brought my Mesa Scout for comparison. George was still in the development stage at that time and the only one I really was impressed with was the 210. The crossovers on the cabs I tried looked like the stock ones offered by Eminence. The 10" drivers were from a US company that I can't remember the name of and were most definitly not by Eminence.

For all it's seemingly faults that are obvious to those who frequent TB, it sounds great! The thing that seperates it from other 210's that I've played was the dispersion of the entire frequency spectrum. I could walk all around the room and not hit any hot spots or variances. Nothing but the same balanced tone as long as it was within 180 deg in front of the cab. It really hit me most when I was standing very close to it like I might on a gig on a small stage and then walked out. The dispersion was remarkable. There was very little change. Another fine attribute was it's volume or "Punch" as you hear so many reference. The efficiency specs look suspect to me as well but in my experience it was a really loud cab capable of stand alone duty. It seemed much louder than my SWR Golliath Jr.

Bassman Paul,
    I don't know how you can dismiss a product so simply based on it's port location. TB has taught me port location means very little to the sound, no? You live in the area, it might be worth a drop by with your cab and do a comparison. From what I can tell the design goals of the Acme's and these new FBass cabs are different. I'd love for you to drop by my house with your cab on your way back while youÂ’re in the area too!:smug: That is if you have enough room for both your new FBass 210 and the Acme.:)

I know the TB community will rip on these cabs like crazy for their form factor and unfairly compare them to others they have tried without hearing them. I might have got caught in the same trap but I actually got to hear this cab in the flesh and it's sound and performance impressed me. True, it's form factor is somewhat lacking but Fbass has built a loyal following based mostly on the amazing sound of thier products and the craftsmanship behind them. That being said, I didn't buy one of these cabs but instead ended up with a Bergantino AE410.

10. I like the color red.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    MuthaFunk I'd love to get together with you a talk bass and try stuff. Sounds like a whole lotta fun. :D

With respect to the port. If it is firing into the floor then the floor, the cabinets underside and feet become part of that port. Not having it in that direction will change how the cabinet performs.

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Does it have real handles on the other sides? Wish there were better pictures of all sides!

13. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    [Laughing!] I loved the surprise ending. I must admit I'm both surprised and disappointed at all the cynical responses in this thread, so it's great to read an INFORMED opinion.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these cabs based on what I've heard from guys who have heard them, and based on Fbass's track record of just plain sounding great. George Furlanetto, the founder of Fbass is anything but a "me too" kind of guy. He is innovative and is constantly tinkering to do things just a bit better.

For instance, he is the one who popularized wooden pickup covers that match the bass body -- something a lot of people are doing now.

And George pioneered the "floating bridge" (acoustic chamber under a wooden bridge with piezo pickups) on one of his fretless models to help the bass sound a LOT like an acoustic upright.

And on 6 string basses, George was the first to use a 34.5" scale length to give the B more oomph without lengthening the C string to the point of sounding tinny and artificial.

George's body designs balance the bass on the strap so that more of the bass hangs under you. In my experience this keeps my left shoulder / arm from fatiguing as quickly because I'm not holding my arm out there so far, plus it allows me to see my finger positions better on fretless basses.

I'm sure George has pioneered a lot more than this, but the point is if Fbass has a cabinet, given their track record the odds are that it stands out from the crowd just a bit and in a good way.

14. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Please let us know what you think when you visit them.

15. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Yeah, it's a great write up on their site, but I would love more photos as well.

Plus, I understand they have a few cabinets at their shop including an Acuugroove El Whappo. I would love to see and hear a video clip of the same player playing the same bass and the same lines through the same head (I believe they have a Techamp Puma 500) through each cabinet.

Of course with YouTube's sound quality, that comparison may not be worth the time, but it might be interesting.

For me it's about the sound.

I have a few rigs, my favorite being a 600w Demeter head with tube preamp and the El Whappo, but as great as it sounds, it is just serious overkill for small venues.

I'd be up for a 2x10 and a small head if it sound about as great.

16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    At that weight I need casters too....and easy , smooth wheeling

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Building an instrument is not building a speaker.

The guy is insinuating magnet material itself affects tone.

He's saying they're making lightweight cabs by using ceramic mag. drivers, 3/4 ply and just making them really small, yet still claiming deep response and big spl.

They're putting a port on the bottom that will be at least partially, if not fully blocked, depending on how you sit the cab on the floor and what type of floor it is.

There's claims there that just don't hold water. Notice nowhere did I say it sounds bad.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Looks like one of my Yorkville monitors with the grille painted red.

I love George and he is less than an hour away from me, but not the greatest design I have ever seen. Very heavy to have a strap IMO.

I will stick to my Bergs.

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Fixed it for you!

Just kidding of course. :D

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    F-bass? Yes, absolutely. Brilliant!

This F-bass cab? No, not so much. Especially when a superior 210 (or even 212 or 215) custom can be built for less.