New GK MB150 update coming next year

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by basss, Jul 20, 2021.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I try not to speculate about gear that hasn't been released yet but I'm kinda excited about an updated MB150 combo.
    I had one as my main upright amp for about 15 years. Sweet sound that was eventually outclassed by newer light weight gear. If GK can do an updated version that can compete I'm in!

BobbyT, Fat bob and geoffbassist like this.
  2. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Very happy to hear this.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ditto!

4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    The MB150 has really stood the test of time! Great to hear about the update.

5. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I know a lot of people dislike this amp compared to newer offerings, but I've rarely found an amp that small that sits in the mix in a way to really hear pitch well. It's not the prettiest sound on it's own, though! @basss (Bob G. from Berklee?). I wasn't super happy with the sound of the last generation of them though. I still use my old 200mb all the time.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I’m on my third MB150S after selling the previous two for newer, lighter, better…………
    This one is probably almost 30 years old and other than a replacement speaker, it has worked perfectly well.
    Although I don’t use it often, I know that it will always give me a decent tone and get the job done. With a very effective eq, it can deliver anything from fair to very good tone in situations where more ‘neutral’ amps fail.
    This one will stay with me until the end.

dylanjohnson likes this.
  7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The 200MB’s were delightful sounding amps. I had two different ones. The closest they got to that amp was the MBS.

isolated, dylanjohnson and Fretless55 like this.
  8. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    A Branford Marsalis trio concert made me a believer in this amp. Bob Hurst was playing with no other amplification. No mics, no PA. His hands were the sound, but the GK did the job of replicating them superbly.

9. Fat bob

Fat bob

Jan 14, 2013
    Denver
    Wish I’d have never sold my mbe150! Fortunately I did pick up an older 200mb for $100 used on Craigslist when someone bought their new mb150! Bet that cat regrets that sale- But it isn’t always loud enough, so it’s been mostly relegated to keyboard use at home… I should bring that one out sometime.

Excited to hear about this new version! It’d be so cool to see this go more the upright specific route and keep those other combos more electric oriented. I wonder if that’s even being considered

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  11. BobbyT

BobbyT

Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I’ve had both the 200MB and MB150S combos and regretted selling both. Reliable, reasonably priced and easy to move.

My “modern” solution is the new MB200 head with an old 112MBX extension cabinet from the retired MB series. This setup works at least as well as the old GK combos did and weighs a lot less too, which is great for taking the train.

I will be checking the new series out when they are available.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Still got my MB150E. It lives in my workshop now, for testing preamps. I don't really have a great explanation for why I retired it, other than curiosity about designing my own speakers, and GAS for new GK stuff. ;)

I've said in the past that the MicroBass combo's were an ingenious solution to the problem of getting gig worthy bass out of a cubic foot of amp. No laws of physics were violated, but he found just the right combination of design parameters using the technology of the time.

Also, Bob's schematics are works of art.

It'll be fun to see what comes next!

13. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    My old one just recently died. Perhaps it was meant to be... :cool:
    I did love it but I have to admit, it had fallen out of favor for Jazz gigs once I got a taste for things more full-range & HiFi.
    If the update heads in that direction, I will definitely be interested.

14. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
  15. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I believe it's been out of production for a couple of years.

16. Love my 1984 200MB bought at Manny’s on 48th back in the day.
    Still loving and playing it often.

BUT, what a hassle to disassemble (and reassemble) for service.

Ric Vice likes this.
  17. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    IMO they should bring out a new version of 200MB. If they did it right they would have a real winner on their hands. Seems like there is still a space in the market for a lightweight combo amp with a 1x12 that is voiced for DB.

18. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    I love mine.

I wonder if the 1x12 extension speaker that was made to go along with it will be brought back, as well.

19. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    I loved my MB150 until it started blowing up on me, literally! Within a minute after turning it on, there would be a loud, gunshot-like pop (that didn't make me very popular with the guests), followed by a puff of foul-smelling smoke. Happened at two different gigs. Fortunately, I was playing upright in smaller settings, so I just went acoustic. Tech guy "jumpered" something or other (I don't know dukey about amps), which seemed to fix it, but I never trusted it and traded it with my teacher for lessons. I think he's still using it, now about 15 years later.

20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    That would be great if it had a higher powered amplifier section. Not ridiculously over powered mind you, just more than the 80 watts into 4 ohms of the original. Saying that, if you take a look at the circuit design of the 200MB it’s a very complicated analog preamp and power section. Very labor intensive to build, so hopefully the new ones can emulate that quality with newer technology. The market for a Double Bass amp is pretty small compared to the overall bass amp market. Just my take.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021