1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Guy, thoughts on a solid 5 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProudPop, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ProudPop

ProudPop

Mar 20, 2013
    Greetings TB, new to the community.

First off, hats off for such an engaged robust community. So much to learn and opinions to consider.:eyebrow:

I'm getting back into playing again and looking for thoughts on a 5 string, possibly longer scale bass? for around $1500? So far, from reading the forum, trying a few out and personal recommendations from a few friends, i've got the following short-list:
    - Ibanez BTB1405 or SR1205/1405 (buzzing issues?)
    - Warwick Pro Series Thumb, Corvette or Streamer (is the Korean stuff built well enough or will i be looking toward Germany soon?)
    - Carvin XB, Bunny or Bromberg Sig (can a custom bass really be great AND that reasonably priced?)

I seem to like the look of the more simple natural or lightly stained wood bodies without pick guards or plastic covers or big metal plates. I also anticipate playing a wide variety of music so i'm looking for a good "all around" bass that can do it all and last a lifetime. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts. ProudPop :D

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I think my Modulus Quantum 5 is the best 5 string I have ever played, and I've owned a few (including Warwick, Yamaha, EBMM, Lakland, etc...). If you can find one used, I'd definitely go for a Modulus.

3. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    i highly reccomend the btb

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Carvin. I've got a Carvin Icon 5 string and love it. Got all the specs I wanted and it came in just a but under $1500.

5. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Well, if you want an all-around bass, having versatile pickups is a must. Steer clear of your standard Precision or Jazz basses...

Try checking out basses with two dual-coil (humbucker) pickups that can be tapped (split). That will give you the flexibility to either play with humbuckers, which are great for rock, or single coils which will get your more classic P and J tones, respectively.

G&L has a TON of options on their basses when it comes to sound shaping. Check this one out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gl-l-2500-5-string-bass-guitar

Ed Friedland did a great review with a G&L bass to show how many tones you can get out of them. It's exhausting, but if you really want versatility, then you'll love it.

6. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Another Carvin "fanboy" here.

I have an LB76 6 string, and a buddy of mine has the XB76F, long scale fretless. They both get lots of love. =)

In answer to your question...
    ...the answer is "Most definitely YES!" I am blessed/cursed by living within a half hour of the factory so I've tried out just about everything they offer. If you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know. I don't work there or get kick backs or anything cool like that, I just like the product and the people I've encountered there.

What I can tell you is that Carvins fall into that love/hate thing. The reason for this is that Carvins are exceedingly consistant, so if you pick up an XB (that's set up properly) and you like it, I'd say you're 99% likely to enjoy any XB you encounter after that. In fact I have been to several clinics at Carvin HQ featuring their various artists, including Sekou Bunch and Brian Bromberg among others, and those that use Carvin guitars and basses have simply used what's hanging on the wall instead of bringing in their personal instruments. That speaks volumes to me. Obviously folks like Steve Vai bring their guitars, but then again they don't play Carvin guitars either.

As for pickups and electronics they use their own pickups and circuits, which is okay by me since they've been making their own pickups since 1946! Will they drop Barts or SDs in? Probably not, but you could always call and ask. My LB is set up with dual EBMM style humbuckers with a master mini toggle split switch, push/pull volume for active/passive switching, stacked bass & treble controls, and a mid freq/mid cut-boost. with all these choices in an 18v preamp I can clone just about anything. Will it sound exactly like a P-bass? No, but the average bar hopping listener will know that it sounds good.

Now in regards to LB, XB, B24, Icons, etc... they use the same necks for the most part, regardless of model. The differences being that the 4 string Bromberg has a thinner neck (fretboard to thumb) and the Bunny 5 has a wider asymetrical neck with full string spacing. As for the LB vs XB thing, they are identical with two simple tweaks. To accomodate the longer scale they made the fretboard 22 frets instead of 24, and they moved the bridge to the butt end of the body. Thats it problem solved.

As for their bolt on model basses like the SB series or the B40/B50, their necks are closer to P-bass than J-bass, falling somewhere in between the two. Also if cost is a concern and you're up to it, they do offer kit versions of the B40/B50 that you have to do the finish work and assembly on.

In closing the Carvins are with out a doubt a "modern vibe" instrument, although the SB and B40/B50 series can kinda get the old school vibe with a simple volume, volume, tone set up, but they are still a modern version of that.
    Check out the Carvin BBS if you haven't already. It's a great community filled with good people that are generally an older crowd but they're also a bit more level headed than some other forums I've been on.

I hope this helps in some way.:bassist::hyper:

7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    I have a pro series thumb and I love it, no expert by any means, and I haven't played a Carvin, but for whatever its worth there ya go.

8. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    +1 I've got a Q5 myself with Bartolini preamp and pu's; sounds and plays great but like most 5 strings its a bit heavy.

9. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    My schecter studio 5 fits all those areas. It's a 35 scale, neck thru, very versatile sound, good b string, Bubinga top.

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Dingwall Combustion or ABZ5.

11. racecar5

racecar5 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Myersville, Maryland
    I own a number of five strings. The one that really speaks is the BTB. It was my no means the most expensive. It has every thing I want in a 5 string, 35" scale, 19mm string spacing, Bartolini electronics, beautiful craftsmanship. Play one acoustically and you will hear it, then through an amp and you will know. They are always available on Ebay in the 400-600 dollar range. Don't miss out on these basses.

12. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    Lakland 55AJ skyline. Then mod it with your pre amp of choice. I chose a Sadowsky pre and I love it. It's worth checking out. Just my 2 cents.

13. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    MTD Kingston 5s are great value for money.

14. Hipshack

Hipshack Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Carvin sb5000 does it all

15. ProudPop

ProudPop

Mar 20, 2013
    Gang,

Thank you BIG time for the suggestions. :hyper: I've researched quite a few and am thinking either the Warwick Pro Series Corvette/Steamer Stage 1 5 string or an Ibanez BTB/SR 1405/SR 1205 model at this point. That said, I'm truly impressed with the HUGE selection of really damn good basses available. Literally ANY of the suggestions offered seem like solid purchases.

The next step seems to be deciding on a practice/small performance amp head/cabinet? Here i'm thinking maybe an Eden/Ashdown/Aguilar 300watt unit with a GK/Eden/Ampeg 2x10 or 1x15, but i suppose that question belongs in the "Amp" section.

Thanks again fellas, great community here....:bassist:

16. The Stingray 5 is worth trying - is single H form, very straightforward, and will give you a great sound which will fit most genres of music.

And you can always ignore that 5th string and play some Bernard Edwards or Louis Johnson as the Stingray 5 can get you the same type of sound as the four string version.

17. hreggi

hreggi

Mar 24, 2012
    I've got a Carvin bb75 and love it.

18. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    $1,500 will get you a very nice bass indeed, especially if you go used. For a solid used 5 in that range, I'd personally look at a Zon Sonus or a Dingwall, but there are so many great basses. It's a big investment, take your time and try out as many as possible, sitting and strapped on, unplugged and amplified...

19. I'd reccomend ordering a custom Carvin online and putting all the stuff you want on it. They're good quality instruments, with tons of different options. The reason they can be sold relatively cheap is because Carvin is factory-direct. They make alot of the stuff you see nowadays.

20. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    For any of the models mentioned by the OP, I'd recommend scouting the used section here at TB. Those makes you mention all have in common that they don't have terribly impressive resale values compared to some others--great for buyers, not so great for sellers. Meaning that if you buy a new bass (particularly mail order as you will with Carvin, and you won't have had a chance to play the bass you're buying) and 6 months down the road you decide it isn't for you, you'll be stuck with the depreciation. Let someone else get stuck with that, and get one used here. Six months down the road, odds are that you can flip it here for the same price (or very close) that you paid.