1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ibanez (headless, multiscale)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chanson, Dec 5, 2019.

1. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Ouch! Find another store

JediBassKnight likes this.
  2. SnowTau

SnowTau

Feb 16, 2009
    Australia
    Unfortunately being in Australia I expect the time frames are going to be similar all around. I asked another store for ETA, we'll see what they've got.

nuage420b likes this.
  3. jetsaber

jetsaber

Apr 11, 2020
    Clairemont S.D.
    Indonesia is much more closer to Australia than Northern America
    Ship times Should be Quicker .

foothilla likes this.
  4. entisgood

entisgood

Mar 14, 2010
    NYC
    I got my EHB1005MS bass two weeks ago and have pretty much decided to return it due to the truss rod being completely maxed out in one direction. I had some pretty bad fret buzz around the nut, which is how i discovered the truss rod issue. The dealer I got it from told me it's covered under warranty, but this seems to be a common issue with this model, despite the limited availability. I don't like the idea of a brand new bass needed truss rod surgery, especially after months of waiting for the preorder. I'm conflicted because I like the bass and now it's playing really well, but future setups and really dialing it in seem like they may not be possible.

5. I didn't actually have an issue with the truss rod! I just didn't realize the visible portion isn't supposed to spin.

Still though, a maxed out rod is not a good thing on any new instrument. I've actually since removed all tension from the rod and the relief is pretty close the Ibanez specs when I'm tuned half a step down.

6. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Wow,...this is super alarming! Where did you hear that this is a common problem? Your dealer?

I'm definitely gonna make sure my truss rod is functioning properly tonight.

7. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I actually couldn't adjust my truss rod at all either. However it doesn't need adjusting and the neck is pretty flat my action is -2mm across the board wit no buzz. I put new string on today and it's still acclimating to the dry climate here. I'll have to keep an eye out for any issue there

8. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    You're still unable to adjust it? And you are keeping it?

9. Did you try one direction or both?

nuage420b likes this.
  10. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    It left a humid climate to about the driest climate you can get in a 2 day span...I'll give it time to adjust and do whatever it is going to do. If it remains an issue I've registered it and it's under warranty. I love it and would rather wait for the issue to be resolved than get a refund, that's for certain. If I wanted perfection I would have paid the 3000 plus to get it. I knowingly paid premium mark up for a brand new model that is on it's first generation. You'd be a fool not to expect there to be some kinks to work out.

11. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    ok, just checked it, I used me own 3.0 allen key. it rolled off counter clockwise nice and smooth a quarter turn. I then returned it back clockwise and a little before it made it a quarter turn i got a lot of resistance. I applied a little more pressure and completed the rotation. tried to give it another turn and it only budged slightly maybe 1/8th turn and halted, I'd assume it's maxed. at max i got some fret buzz, backed it off that extra 1/8th and it's back to my 1.7-2.0 action and no buzzing. my B is a .125 vs the .130 that it came with but the eadg are all the same size.

12. entisgood

entisgood

Mar 14, 2010
    NYC
    To clarify, the dealer said, "You are not the first person to tell me of issues with these new Ibanez EHB basses. This first run seems to have more issues than I would have expected." They weren't specifically referring to the truss rod.

I've spent the last two weeks playing the bass and getting used to it, this is my first multi-scale instrument. I like this bass but I have this nagging uncertainty about the truss rod and being able to dial the bass in all the way to my preferred set up. I have about 14 days left on my trial period, but I'm pretty close to deciding on return for refund or completely different instrument.

I saw at least one other user in this discussion mention getting a replacement neck for an EHB, due to truss rod issues.

13. entisgood

entisgood

Mar 14, 2010
    NYC
    That sounds very similar to my situation. I couldn't turn the allen wrench in the direction from the b to the g string (clockwise if looking from bridge towards the 1st fret), but it turned the other direction and reduced the buzz. my concern is what happens when the weather changes and the rod needs to be tightened?

14. nuage420b

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Got 12 months to find out o suppose

15. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Send that thing back, bro. There is no way you should have to deal with a brand new instrument that is having truss rod issues.

Off topic,...what bass is that in you avatar? Looks killer!

entisgood likes this.
  16. entisgood

entisgood

Mar 14, 2010
    NYC
    Avatar bass is a Clifford Roi Fretless 6 string. Small builder from NY.

foothilla likes this.
  17. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Love the body style,...and that flame is beautiful.

18. SnowTau

SnowTau

Feb 16, 2009
    Australia
    You would think so but things always seem to get released later down here haha. Asked another store, they said Ibanez couldn't even give them an estimate :l

Maybe back to a custom option (my original near identical specced build was with Maruszczyk), tough choice! God I love the way it looks though, the QC issues leave me wondering a bit.

19. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Reiforce rods in neck make not esy adjustments?

foothilla likes this.
  20. foothilla

foothilla

Aug 21, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I adjusted the truss rod of my new EHB1500 for the first time tonight, and here is what I found (and I should preface by saying, while I am not a luthier, I spent many years doing setups professionally, and have adjusted thousands of truss rods):

The bass arrived with a neck relief that would be considered acceptable for most players. When I went to adjust the truss rod (to make sure it worked), I realized that the truss was totally slack. So, if you like a lot of up-bow in your neck, you wouldn't be able to get this neck where you want it, unless you put some really heavy strings on it.

As I tightened the truss rod I was surprised by how much you have to turn in order to get a response out of the neck. This is one of the stiffer necks I have encountered. The carbon fiber rods, in a 9 piece neck, don't want to flex easily. So, you have a truss rod that is working extra hard to get movement, when you counter the natural position of the carbon fiber rods.

If people are aggressively using the truss rod to attempt to flex the stiff carbon fiber rods, I have no doubt that it could cause damage to the truss rod. The neck is so stiff that you aren't going to get a lot of action out of the truss rod. If you like a lot of bow in your neck, I would stay away from this bass. The carbon fiber rods aren't going to yield to a lot of up-bow, unless you use really heavy strings.

nuage420b likes this.